PDA

View Full Version : Increased risk of breast cancer?

skn123
27-12-15, 21:27
Hey,

One of my major fears have always been breast cancer. I don't know why it feels like the worst possible type I could get, but it does. There isn't a day I don't have a panic attack and search every part of my body for lumps and bumps, I even check my bruising levels in case I'm headed the leukaemic route.

My mum's sister is a breast cancer survivor, we think her tumour was a results of several xrays of what initially was a blocked milk duct after lactating and the radiation/mammograms/probing and poking lead it to become malignant. So not really sure about a familial history of any cancers. Although my mum and older sister have both had benign lumps removed before, and I've had cysts under my armpits for years which haven't bothered me. (TMI sorryyy)

I'm really into vitamins and supplements, what with my progressing degree in Biochemistry I'm not a fan of the carcinogens in certain foods and hence want to make sure I get my antioxidants and superfoods etc etc

I've recently decided to take a supplement called Maca root. It's a super food supposed to aid all sorts of things in men and women, however, I have read that it spikes oestrogen levels in women. I know that increase in oestrogen has been linked to increased risk of breast cancer... I'm not idiot though, I mean I've done all the research with actual scientific papers and studies, it has been found to not directly affect circulatory levels of oestrogen and by logic, taking 1500 mg once a day is so minute it would have no real stimulatory effects (growth stimulation that is)

However, I'm still so so so worried. I know most people will be like "Just stop taking it" but I am also taking it as an alternative to those bc pills and to regulate my menstrual cycle, to help me gain some well needed weight (I am underweight, especially during these stressful exam times) and I genuinely believe in the benefits. But it's sooo difficult to shake my mind.

Anyone else experienced maca? Or anyone have any advice as to how to stop the negativity please :(

Okkkk I'm done
Sorry it's such a long post and so technical, I probably won't get any replies but it's still a relief to be able to get my worries out there

Thank you!