PDA

View Full Version : cold water

tinae
28-12-15, 03:03
Something I learned in DBT therapy that works incredibly well is keeping very cold water on hand. If you feel on the precipice of an attack, drink as much as you can, as fast as you can, and as cold as tolerable. Something about it helps return the body to homeostasis. (See Marsha Linehan's latest research)

Tina :)

MyNameIsTerry
28-12-15, 07:51
Is that what is referred to as the Dive Reflex? I know they tell you to splash water on your face for that.

jimsmrs
28-12-15, 12:53
I drink lots of water, when I'm flagging during the day, it perks me up and scottish water is the best!!!

Retsgard
31-12-15, 22:35
In a bad social occasion if I'm starting to panic I find that a quick toilet trip works- cold water on the face :)

Pleut
08-02-16, 14:52
Or you'd get brain freeze! That'd stop a panic attack too, I guess. You'd be too busy having brain freeze :P

pulisa
08-02-16, 18:12
Isn't this just about keeping well hydrated?

Retsgard
09-02-16, 20:26
I assume you don't dip your face in the toilet?

No, but that's not to say there haven't been times I'd have cheerfully tried to swim away through the U bend to escape!

TryingToOvercome
22-02-16, 09:27
Any update on the effectiveness of this? Has anyone tried it?

MyNameIsTerry
22-02-16, 10:04
Any update on the effectiveness of this? Has anyone tried it?

Look up "Dive Reflex", there have been studies of how that works and how it affects the human body. I can't guarantee it is the same as the OP's recommendation but it's a known distraction technique that has been around for decades.