PDA

View Full Version : Swelling above left collarbone. What do I do?

RC
28-12-15, 21:43
Hi!

I am a 23 year old female. A few days ago I was rubbing my neck when I noticed a swelling around my left shoulder and extending down to my collarbone. The swelling is visible without probing it as I can visibly see my right collarbone but not my left one in the mirror.

After probing the swelling, I felt something hard and big and as I went up I could feel another hard "mass" that was significantly smaller which I couldn't feel on my right side at all. I know these are probably my lymph nodes but I am concerned about the swelling and the fact that it is hard to the touch. The swelling is painless by the way, even when I press it. I don't know how long its been there for and I only discovered it by mistake a few days ago.

I know that lymph nodes general swell up when an infection is present but I haven't been sick with the flu or anything in a long time. I have noticed a stabbing/shooting pain in my left shoulder after I'd been sitting in a certain position for a while and I feel a tingling/numbing sensation down my left arm but prior to finding this swelling I never thought much of it.

Besides this, I have had an itchy rash for a year now, I've been to 3 doctors and been told that I have chronic urticaria for unknown reasons and I should just take antihistamines to relieve the intense itching. Otherwise I am perfectly healthy with no other symptoms. Is this swelling significant enough to pursue it further? and how long should I wait before seeing a doctor for examination?

venusbluejeans
28-12-15, 21:49
Hiya RC and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

uru
28-12-15, 23:00
Well, go and see a dr if you're worried. I doubt it's anything serious but why not?

Etsy83
29-12-15, 01:15
I think you should go just to calm your mind. I do the same thing when I get a swollen lymph node I freak out it never fails. It could however be anything most likely something minor. My tonsil was swollen for 3 months 1 tonsil. Of course I searched Dr. Google. I worried myself sick bc right off it says tonsil cancer, EVERYTHING did. Then same side my neck swelled I almost lost it. My ENT let me remove my tonsils n after poking and worrying found out it wasn't cancer. Unfortunately my neck hasn't gone down so I been a lottle concerned with it. Anyways my point is if your worried you should get it checked. Most likely its something simple :)

CoraB
29-12-15, 01:51
I agree get in with your GP and get checked out straight away rather than worrying about it for any longer. :-)