PDA

View Full Version : So Tired Of Thinking Im Crazy MY HEART IS SKIPPING AND NO ONE CAN TELL

mnaha
28-12-15, 23:28
im 61 years old. Most of my life my heart has skipped since I can remember but as you get older and know that people can have heart trouble as they age... you worry.

I have had three episodes of tachycardia over the years and been hospitalized and monitored and told my heart is strong and nothing can be found that is not good. I have had ecg's xrays,ct scans the works. Blood work after blood work after blood work and ekg's ekg's ekgs. I have had teams of cardiologist check out ecg's of my heart and my heart.

Three separate times I have been monitored for over 7 days 24-7 for blood pressure and heart etc.. Nothing...Everything normal.

I don't get it. My heart skips. I know it skips , I am not crazy . When asking about it to the doctors and nurses they say it isn't skipping.

At my age skipping heart makes you feel panicky. What could I possibly be feeling that would not show up on monitors or that medical people would not worry about?

Do I have a condition that nobody has ever heard of? This is incredible. Everytime my heart beats a little faster it starts skipping and sometime feels as if its every other beat.

Does anyone else suffer this miserable situation that no medical person will admit there is anything happening?

I feel crazy and depressed and just don't know what else to do . I am at the end of my rope.

Fishmanpa
29-12-15, 10:11
I actually have heart disease, have had a couple of heart attacks, bypass and stents. Tests (echos, ekgs etc.) definitely showed an issue. No ifs, ands or buts. With the extensive amount of testing you've had and the negative results, I would go with the medical professionals on this. Perhaps these are perceived physical sensations? I have no idea but I do know that something would have shown up, especially during those extended monitoring sessions.

Positive thoughts

mnaha
01-01-16, 01:43
I know ... maybe its perceived ... But my wife can feel it skipping while taking my pulse but she was there with me in the hospital one time when they were doing extended monitoring and it was skipping real bad and she went to the place where they were monitoring my heart and the person monitoring it say "nope" nothing everything is perfect and his heart is beating perfect.

I don't get it.. It worries me now that im hallucinating this more than what is actually originally bothering me. I have scurried all over the internet and actually found thousands upon thousands of others with the same issue and no relief.

Also found lots of information and conclusion to most of it is that it stems from the vagus nerve when it is irritated and isn't dangerous unless the skipped beats are every other one for extended periods. I have actually had this last evening and now that worries me.

I know the best thing to do is to just shut out the worry and don't pay attention but after the adreniline has shot into your system it seems to just keep coming back whether you are relaxed or not but I just have to try and say to myself if it kills me at least I dared it to and that I just threw worry back into its face. Wish me luck and good thoughts.Thanks Fish, at least you cared enough to respond.

2Anxious
01-01-16, 02:23
By skipped beats do you mean delayed beats? Like this:

x--x--x----x--x--x--x

I also have it. When most people say skipped beats they mean ectopic beats aka PVCs/PACs. That's not what it is. I have no idea what it is or why it happens but if you were being monitored while it was happening, you most likely have nothing to worry about.

Edit: Can you only feel this in your pulse or do you actually feel a funny sensation in your chest?

mnaha
02-01-16, 00:17
I feel it in my chest, my neck and stomach. It sometimes is like you described other times its like x-x---xxx----x-x-x-x ----x Anyway . I have done lots of research and think it comes down to stomach acid. This morning I did not want to get up and I was starving producing lots of acid. I woke two hours later to faster pulse and got up and it was skipping pretty bad and starting to beat faster. Took omeprazole and it seemed to stop and my heart slowed down and seems to be helping so apparently it is stomach acid causing this. Hopefully that is all and I feel fairly confident that they are right, it cant be seen on monitors but its cause...stomach acid.. Will update tomorrow to see of the medicine worked totally.

mnaha
02-01-16, 21:43
I took the Omeprazole yesterday and it kept the skipping heart away. I woke this morning and my heart was beating fast and skipping again I suppose from stomach acid and I took another Omeprazole and it seemed to calm things down . I suppose it gets rid of stomach acid and stops the skipping but now it has gotten rid of what normally is used to digest so I think I am constipated. Im exhausted trying to figure out what is worse ,skipping heart or constipation. I was in so much hopes that the medicine would just take care of the problem, now I have another worry. It seems I just can't win.

Shazamataz
03-01-16, 03:46
It sounds really scary. I have been dealing with a similar thing myself at 45 years old.
I had an episode of tachycardia a couple of years back when under a lot of stress at work (my thyroid was also playing up). I was over 200 beats a minute and on my own at home and called an ambulance. It settled over a couple of hours with no treatment and the staff assured me there was nothing wrong and it was from stress.

The past three months my anxiety has been really bad and it started with what felt like 'missing' heartbeats. Several times a minute I'd feel my heart lurch in my chest. Not all the time but often, especially when trying to go to sleep. Took myself to hospital with it and was monitored for several hours and they insisted all was fine. My GP also insists all is fine and it is anxiety related but nothing to worry about.

I am doing my best to believe the doctors and hope that once I get my anxiety sorted this will also settle down.

By all accounts it is quite common to have what feels like skipped beats but it is just your heart not filling up quickly enough after a fast beat and isn't dangerous at all. But it is certainly terrifying! I am getting used to it but it still makes me more anxious!

Anxious Pete
06-01-16, 16:32
I had this for years, avoiding caffeine is a big step forward. One supplement that helped me was coq10, take a high absorption tab daily and you'll feel it less and have more energy.

mnaha
06-01-16, 23:15
Yeah I know what you mean by the tachycardia events. I have had three major ones that I was hospitalized for over the years usually about 150 bpm. It has always been due to strep throat and dehydration.

Usually always starts off with skipping beats and proceeds to racing heart. I have had all the test most more than once and been monitored for days on end and also blood work and test test test angiograms and you name it. My doctor says my heart is healthy but I do have pre diabetes but other than that I have to trust my doctor too I suppose. What else can we do? I am doing better now since starting the prilosec and my BM's are fine so far. I hope this streak continues. So far I haven't had a lengthy bout with the skipped beats again but an occasional one or several here and there.

Wish me luck that things keep getting better. Thanks for your input .