PDA

View Full Version : High cholesterol and withdrawal

Bonnibelle
29-12-15, 08:48
I'm a tad worried about my meds. I've been taking 15mg of mirtazapine 2 years now. I felt pressured into it at the time and in such a scary place I took it. I'm so against meds I truly hate them. I've always worried they cause my intrusive thoughts and anxiety but my gp tells me no. They did help as they calmed me a little by helping me sleep at night and they gave me an appetite again. I'd gone down to 6 stone after what happened with my brother and family. I'm now 8 stone 7 and told I'm at perfect weight for my total height. But I have high cholesterol at 6.9 (tested 2 weeks ago) and I was tested for diabetes in September and my number was 38 (range is up to 41 but they do allow up to as much as 48) and re tested 2 weeks ago and it had increased to 40. Now I'm worried as I've heard this medication can cause problems with sugar and fat. It doesn't help my anxiety at all. I want off it but I'm terrified as I've read such awful horror stories about withdrawn but I do know I anticipate stay on it forever. I wanted off it last year but was too scared.

At the moment my husband said it's not the right time to mess with meds as I need to get back on my feet after all the stress with our son being ill and it making myour anxiety flare up again. I agree. I just worry being on it and worry will I ever be ready to withdraw. I worry will the meds have done any damage, will I be ok off them. I wish I never took them if they could be the cause of my health issues. I have a very healthy diet, never eat any fatty acids goods and if I do it's once in a blue moon. High cholesterol runs in my mum's side of the family but I had it tested 2 years ago and it was 5.9. It's gone up to 6.9 and I've been at my healthiest in this last 2 years. I workout, yoga, weight training, walking, very healthy diet and lost weight.

Sorry to post something negative but I am concerned. My gp hasn't put me on statins he wants to retest me in 9 months and go from there but for now I cut out all.dairy and no chocolate. That's been fun over christmas :D

I want to start withdrawal once I feel things have settled with my son. He's had a terrible time recently since bullies earlier this year and he was plagued with anxiety and panic attacks. It's been horrific seeing him struggling and begging not to go to school. It's all destroyed me seeing my 11 year old so frightened. I've had to he strong and take care of him and battle with camhs to see him who after an assessment said I'd be best to help him as I've had anxiety. The stress has been immense so it's no wonder I've been pretty stressed and anxious again.

Has anyone else had high cholesterol on mirt? Has anyone else withdrawn slowly and found it pretty gentle?

sandie
29-12-15, 18:27
I am currently withdrawing from Mirt. See my thread (withdrawing from Mirtazapine) which was updated today.

Two things I have learned is that stress and anxiety will raise sugar levels. I am on a statin and have been for around 18 months, and I know from recent tests that my Chol Level is fine.

Istherehope?
29-12-15, 19:34
Hi Bonnibelle,

I've got nothing helpful about withdrawing as I'm not at that stage yet but I just wanted to say my heart goes out to you and your son...I've got three boys and it would break my heart to see them go through that kind of thing, it really is no wonder you've been so stressed by it.

Sending hugs to you :hugs:

Bonnibelle
29-12-15, 19:54
Thank you both so much for your kind replies.

It has been heart breaking and I think the stress caused my bad relapse with my anxiety. I felt terrible leaving my son distressed daily at school knowing he was having panic attacks in school. Worst couple of month software my life.

Thank you for your kindness.