PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Afraid to Drive? Please Post

skeeterbug
21-09-04, 20:13
Anyone Afraid to Drive? Please Post. I am 23 and do not have my
lisence yet. It is making me crazy. Driving is all I think about but
when I try and practice on my permit I freak out.

seh1980
21-09-04, 20:29
hello there,

I'm 23 and I got my license when I was 18. However, once I started having panic attacks, I stopped driving as I was way too scared. I just started driving again about 6 weeks ago. I was really nervous at first but normally feel fine now. I forgot just how much fun it could be! I normally have my boyfriend in the car and he is a big comfort. Is there someone who could maybe be in the car with you? That could really help you calm down. Also, you could try relaxing aromatherapy oils, music you really like to sing along to, relaxation tapes or CDs in the car, etc. Trust me, once you have done it once, it will get much easier!! Good luck!!

Sarah :D

Elle-Kay
21-09-04, 20:57
I started with my anxiety at about 15, and it has continued to this day (I'm now 22) in various strengths, but I did pass my driving test aged 19 and it was the biggest achievement of my life :D (at least until I got my degree hehe)

Everyone is different, and I'm not going to sit here saying "don't worry about it", when I haven't travelled outside of my home county for a long time, but what I am going to say is this - it is hard, but if you really want to, you will find a way to accomplish it, just like I did :)

One practical thing that I did find, while I was learning, was that the first few minutes of initial panic would subside once I was driving, because I had so much to concentrate on. If you can get through those first few minutes (I generally think to myself "every second is a second closer to the panic being gone") you may find it much easier.

If I have a panicky moment now while I'm driving, I put into action some of the fantastic tips on Nic's site, and here on the forums.

I hope you find something that works for you! :)

~* Do what you want. Nobody else will do it for you *~

KW
21-09-04, 21:09
Hi Leah

I totally agree. I have a fear of talking infront of others and at the meeting this morning when i spoke i thought i wouldn't carry on as my voice started to shake but i found as the time went on I sounded more and more confident and by the end of it i thought i could talk all day now! I sounded so clear and precise and thought 'actually i'm quite a good at this' :) So glad things are working for you..well done

KW

sal
21-09-04, 23:53
Hi Hon

Isnt easy and can only say that when i took my test if i felt like i do now i would have totally messed it up, but i would have still tried.

You have nothing to lose by trying and if you fail, pick up the pieces and try again.

You wont be the first or the last, if you want that independence go for it.

Best of luck.

Love Sal xxxxx

Rennie1989
02-10-04, 17:04
have a word with nomorepanic. she has a liceance but she has times where she times when she cant drive

Scooter Girl

if i was hungry would you feed me, if i fell you help me up, if i was crying would you brush away my tears

nomorepanic
02-10-04, 18:03
My driving problems stem from being trapped in road works/traffic jams etc, but I do LOVE to drive.

Practice makes perfect that is the best advice.

As you are just learning then you will have someone with you all the time and he/she will help you to gain confidence.

So go for it - what have you got to lose? You may love it!

Nicola

HB
18-10-04, 11:29
I passed my driving test in easrly may and i was fine at first but now, when im driving, all i think is "am i going to panic while im driving?!" "where am i going to stop?" its not nice, i can sypathise with you but when you learn you will always have someone in the car with yu so you should try to get as far as passing your test and then taking one day a step at a time :-)

H