PDA

View Full Version : Aromatherapy oils

shirlp
29-12-15, 19:31
Hi all. I've just bought myself a oil diffuser to try and relax myself at bedtime, see if I can stop anxiety keeping me awake.. I know lavender is a good oil for this, but I'm not to keen on the smell. Does anyone know what mix of oils I could use???

Jaysky
29-12-15, 20:16
Chamomile is good for anxiety, along with jasmine, frankincense and rose to name a few try chamomile with a few drops of lavender so it's not too over powering, also you can buy loose frankinsense resin which you burn on a charcole block in a sensor It has a wonderful calming effect,.. I love this method X

shirlp
30-12-15, 01:59
Thanks for your reply. I do find lavender a bit over powering so will definitely try chamomile x

MyNameIsTerry
30-12-15, 04:31
This is a good idea, smells can be powerful to us as they cause the brain to recall memories. So, if you start adding in those calming memories, you can use the smells to trigger them again. I find having a sniff of some nice candles in Tesco when shopping can be good.

You could also consider diluting the lavender to reduce the power of the smell as in neat form it can be overpowering. Also, your sense of smell may be heightened if you are going through a very anxious phase so it may settle down in the future making it easier to tolerate.

Lucinda07
30-12-15, 19:28
You may like to give Geranium or Neroli a try as they are good for stress.

MissyMischief
30-12-15, 20:39
I wear a sleep mask, and I put drops of lavender and ylang ylang on it every night before I do a mediation and my affirmations, then I go to sleep. It really does help, and makes me feel good like I'm doing something natural and soothing and loving for myself.

shirlp
31-12-15, 05:51
Thanks for the replies. I've ordered a few that's meant to b calming so as soon as my diffuser arrives I will b trying it. Just found an air wick spray in my cupboard its lavender and chamomile and its lovely so that's a combination I will b trying. My name is Terry I love smelling the candles.

MissyMischief
31-12-15, 08:44
I also burn seasonal candles in the evening. I get the soy-based ones, because they are supposedly less toxic than other kinds. Tonight I'm burning a pumpkin one, and I also have a cinnamon clove one. They scent and the flickering light are soothing and peaceful for me.

I've never had an oil diffuser. Are they the ones that release the scent in a mist? I've seen some pretty light-changing ones online.

shirlp
31-12-15, 13:48
Yes its one that sends mist into the room with the changing lights. It arrived today so hopefully I can try it tonight

MissyMischief
31-12-15, 22:50
That sounds really nice, shirlp. You'll have to let us know how it works out for you :).

benjanxious
14-01-16, 11:49
Chamomile and Tea Tree really help me.

I've heard Lavender is good too, but my mum used it spray it on everything when I was a kid and it's put me off. It's meant to be really good for inducing sleep, although I wouldn't advise leaving your oil burner on while you sleep.

Consider
28-01-16, 18:50
I wear a sleep mask, and I put drops of lavender and ylang ylang on it every night before I do a mediation and my affirmations, then I go to sleep. It really does help, and makes me feel good like I'm doing something natural and soothing and loving for myself.

I am a huge fan of aromatherapy, and the fact someone else does this, makes me feel proud of myself. :hugs: Love you Genoire!