PDA

View Full Version : Help please. Does an ear infection cause constant continuous pain?

Njoy704
29-12-15, 20:14
Ive been having on and off pain for 2 months now in my ears. It's a sharp pain but it'll last less then a minute and then go away. It'll happen maybe a handful of times a day. Some days I don't get it at all though. Ive also had migraines. I had an Mri done of my head and it was normal. I'm scared it could be an ear infection, but the doctor said he didn't see any inflammation or anything. He actually said my ears are very clean and couldnt see any fluids. That was about a month ago. I'm worried because my health anxiety found information that said that untreated ear infection can give you mastoiditis that can turn deadly! And now I'm scared I have mastoiditis. So are ear infections suppose to cause constant continuous pain? Or can it be on and off?

Randara
30-12-15, 12:41
Hiya, I've been having ear problems since September. It's been my inner ears which is harder for doctors to diagnose problems with beause the ear drum is in the way. Obviously I can't say for sure that this is what's happening with you but it might be worth asking your GP about it, and maybe try and get a referral to ENT? I was also getting headaches with my ear pain too, one doctor I saw said its very normal for this to happen (it's called referred pain).

.Poppy.
30-12-15, 14:39
Theoretically, it should be constant pain. Obviously there could be variations.

Basically, you have a little passage called a eustachian tube that leads from your ear into your pharynx. Every few swallows, it opens, which equalizes pressure in the middle/inner ear. If for some reason it doesn't open properly, pressure doesn't equalize and it starts to build up. This eventually causes your eardrum to stretch tight, and your ear to produce fluid behind the eardrum as a reaction, which often gets infected and leads to an ear infection.

Ear infections are actually pretty uncommon in adults. Children get them much more frequently because their eustachian tube sits more horizontally, so it doesn't always open like it should. Sometimes adults can get a cold that can interfere with eustachian tube function (think about when you have a cold and you feel like your ears need to pop) but usually the cold ends and the pressure is able to equalize before things get sinister.

I doubt it's an ear infection in your case; it's probably referred pain like Randara said. If you really wanted to be sure you could see an ear, nose, and throat doctor and they could let you know for sure but they may very well say the same thing as your doc.

Njoy704
30-12-15, 15:48
Hiya, I've been having ear problems since September. It's been my inner ears which is harder for doctors to diagnose problems with beause the ear drum is in the way. Obviously I can't say for sure that this is what's happening with you but it might be worth asking your GP about it, and maybe try and get a referral to ENT? I was also getting headaches with my ear pain too, one doctor I saw said its very normal for this to happen (it's called referred pain).

So did your doctor see anything when he looked in your ears? When it's the middle ear can they not see any fluid that forms behind the ear drum? Because when my doctor looked in my ears he said my ear drums didn't look swollen. Now I'm wondering if he didn't see anything because the infection is deeper. We're you given antibiotics to help? He didn't give me anything . And has you ear pain been constant and daily? Sorry for all the questions , but it would be a lot of help if you could answer them. His next available appointment isn't until next thursday.

Randara
30-12-15, 18:24
So I've seen a few doctors about it, only one said he could see a little bit of fluid and that was only on one side. Both my outer ears have been pretty clean, nothing that would indicate anything going on. The doctors I've seen have all been certain that it is Eustachian tube dysfunction just from my description, I believe this is because it's really common. I have tried everything, nasal decongestants, steroid nasal spray, antihistamines, antibiotics and omeprazole. one doctor thought that I may have silent acid reflux which can amuse problems with Eustachian tubes, and I think that might be the case (won't find out until my ENT appointment in February). The pain comes and goes, it hasn't been unbearable but at times it has been constant. At one point I was getting 2 or 3 headaches a week that wouldn't go away. I'd even wake up with them!

I think the problem with Eustachian tube dysfunction is that there isn't much that can be done, ou just have to wait it out. A good trick Is to hold your nose and blow your nose gently to open the tubes..

Sorry for the rambling message, I'm on my phone so it's a bit hard to do grammar!