PDA

View Full Version : Coping mechanisms

Hippyannie
29-12-15, 20:34
Hi guys,
So what are some coping/distraction methods you use when feeling a panic attack coming on or in a state of 'high alert'

Really struggling at the moment, whilst the meds kick in

jenlun
29-12-15, 21:00
Hi! If I feel it coming on strong, I usually try to keep busy doing something, any kind of non thinking activity really. Folding clothes, vacuuming. Any kind of work where I don't have to concentrate. At the same time, I try to be mindful, focusing on what I am actually doing. This tends to bring my focus away from pre panic state. I also find walking or runing helpful. Obviously not the easist to do if your'e at work:)
What doesn't work for me is being passive, sitting on the couch. I also find it hard being around people, specially those I don't know that well. Also fighting the panic/anxiety seems to do it a lot worse.

Hope you find a method that works?

Hippyannie
29-12-15, 21:49
Thanks so much. I seem to suffer most in the mornings. It's so hard - I lose hours to sitting on the sofa shivering and crying :(

jenlun
30-12-15, 15:47
Mornings are worst here as well. Seems to be quite common, I think?

emily67
30-12-15, 16:03
music.

i swear music is my drug for anything- it can make me happy, it can make me sad, it can bring me to certain places, etc.

lately i've been reading about positive aformations which are meant to be really helpful (not tried them myself, but i plan to) and i'll let you know how they work (if they work)

swgrl09
30-12-15, 16:17
I try to do yoga. I tell myself that even if I have no motivation, I will do a gentle one. Then usually I feel better and end up motivated to do more after.

Petesy
06-01-16, 16:18
Hi

The mornings are bad for me too anxiety is really high i lose hours pondering "what ifs" too the point were i find myself basically getting sucked back in my shell.. So i know how you feel their :(

Hippyannie i find relaxation music on YouTube great and also I've been reading Dr Claire Weekes "Self help for your nerves" which is great.. It's like cbt in a book in a way..

That's my coping mechanisms i hope I've been of some help too you.

Petesy

Ditapage
07-01-16, 04:47
These may or may not help you, but I keep this list in my phone so I just copied and pasted when I saw coping mechanisms...

- Cold water (ice cold) either drink it or pour it on my face
- Ice pack on the soles of my feet. (Can only do this one at home but it feels good and also shocks the system, interrupting the anxiety.
- Tensing the muscles in my legs
Mind games like thinking of a colour and everything that is that colour. Or playing A-Z games (eg A-Z bands, US states, movies, etc)
- belly breathing
- finding a quiet place to be alone
- writing down what I am feeling
- writing down thoughts as they come to my mind without consciously thinking of anything - this can be a funny exercise... It's amazing what you can come out with! Kinda like you're starting to write a story but you're under no pressure to make sense!
- a cup of chamomile tea
- a very ODD one but I sniff salt so I will sneeze! Because sneezing takes my focus off the other sensations that scare me.
- putting a scented oil like vanilla or lavender on the inside of my wrist and inhaling it slowly and exhaling (this has been very effective at slowing down my breathing and crazy thoughts)
- hanging upside down over my bed
- simply tipping my head back (since you can't hang over the bed when you're out.)
- jogging on the spot
- telling the person I'm
with that I am having an attack. I feel the pressure otherwise of having to pretend I am OK. I AM OK but I don't feel OK and it seems to lessen the panic when whoever I am with knows. Sometimes I need them to just stop talking about what they were talking about and help me calm down.
- reciting comforting scriptures in my head (I'm a Christian)
- telling myself "This is uncomfortable, but not dangerous."
- Grabbing a book and reading it out loud (this is only a at home one of course!) but i always panic about not having air and reading means I am talking therefore have air. Learned this one at the hospital when I was there for panic and saying "I can't breathe!" And they said "honey if you're talking, you are breathing." I might sometimes start reading in different accents, too.
- putting on a sad movie or a sad song & having a good bawl. It really releases a lot of tension.
- screaming into a pillow (again, releases pent up energy/adrenaline

chrisphillips
07-01-16, 11:29
As previously mentioned, music is a great distraction

---------- Post added at 11:29 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

I should've mentioned as well - deep breathing