PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attacks while driving

kh162714
29-12-15, 20:51
HELP!! I need some ideas on ways to cope with a full blown panic attack while driving. The only thing that seems to help is to stop somewhere that has other people. It seems to get worse if I am in an area that there is no where to stop where there are others around. I can't seem to get it out of my head that I am not having a heart attack or dying so I find it very hard to calm myself down. My doctor put me on 20 mg of Prozac and have been taking them for 2 1/2 weeks. Side effects are horrible but I am not having my attacks every time I drive now just here and there. It's still happening and it scares me especially with my children in the car. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Justanutter
30-12-15, 18:48
Hi. I used to suffer terrible panic attacks when driving. I used to put the blowers on really cold and sing out loud!!! Also, never went anywhere without a bottle of Rescue Remedy and used it constantly in the car. Now I couldn't muster a panic attack up no matter how hard I tried so don't worry, they will go.

Just realised you are in the U.S. so Rescue Remedy may not be available to you....it's a herbal tincture made by Bach Remedies.

kh162714
30-12-15, 18:50
What is Rescue Remedy??

SLjimbo
04-01-16, 01:34
I'm on 60mg of Prozac, so seeing that you're on 20mg, it may take a few weeks to a month to start feeling the full benefits of the medicine.

For now, I would strongly recommend that if you feel panic creeping up when driving, just find a place to stop at and take nice deep breaths and recompose yourself. Don't panic if you can't find a spot to pull over immediately, do deep abdominal breathing until you find one.

kh162714
04-01-16, 17:38
Thank you for your response! :)