PDA

View Full Version : Xmas Severe Anxiety to being well again - Update

shakey1961
30-12-15, 08:02
Hi all. Just thought I'd update you on what's been happening. As you know I ended up at A&E on both Xmas Day & Boxing day with trembling, heart racing and feeling very anxious and generally crap.

As you may be aware (from previous posts) I suffer very badly with a very sensitive stomach and guts. I believe my problems started on Xmas eve when I ate far too much rich ice-cream.

Since then I've rigidly stuck to a very plain gluten free diet, no dairy, no salt even, definitely no sugar and lots and lots of water.

Over the days since Boxing day, my anxiety has been there, no use in denying it hasn't. However, it has lessened a bit each day, though it has come back to bite me occasionally.

I woke this morning and feel really good. Very calm (with the odd pang of anxiety you get in your heart - we've all felt it haven't we), my mind is clearer and I'm not gasping for air and definitely no trembling or racing heart.

So, what I've done is really clear out my whole digestive system.

I still firmly believe a lot of anxiety is NOT all in the mind, it's affected by what you put into your stomach.

Even if you don't know you have problems with gluten, is it not worth trying going gluten free for a week, eat very plainly and see how you feel? Why not maximise your physical chances of getting well, which then may help you cope more with what goes through your mind.

Anything's worth a try - just trying to help and impart my experiences.

Best Wishes to everyone for 2016

shakey1961
30-12-15, 14:11
No one willing to give an option?

Chocolateface
30-12-15, 15:15
Hi

I think I agree with you on some things, eating a healthy balanced diet will help all conditions, however over Xmas it is all too easy to not eat right and at usual times, and given the extra stress it can all mount uo.

Glad to hear you have started to feel better

Clare

pulisa
30-12-15, 17:26
It's OK to admit to an anxiety episode despite being on a gluten free diet. Only coeliacs medically need to be on a gluten free diet for the rest of their lives anyway. For you it's choice and if you believe your anxiety is lessened then that's half the battle.

I would have to say that a lot of gluten free food on sale in shops is full of rubbish though. Best to stick to natural, unadulterated foods and limit the ice cream.

I wish you a happy and healthy 2016!

shakey1961
30-12-15, 18:11
It's OK to admit to an anxiety episode despite being on a gluten free diet. Only coeliacs medically need to be on a gluten free diet for the rest of their lives anyway. For you it's choice and if you believe your anxiety is lessened then that's half the battle.

I would have to say that a lot of gluten free food on sale in shops is full of rubbish though. Best to stick to natural, unadulterated foods and limit the ice cream.

I wish you a happy and healthy 2016!

Thanks for your reply. However, I do have to disagree with you about it being a choice for me, it isn't. I have seen consultants at hospital and while they cannot officially diagnose me with Coeliac disease, based on the symptoms the best they can do is diagnose me as gluten intolerant. They did say that on the balance of probabilities I do have Coeliac disease but can't officially say that as I would be very ill if I was to try and eat gluten for six weeks which is what's needed for me to have an accurate blood test.

My cousins daughter has been properly diagnosed officially which is all on the male side of my family. Doing research into my father and his brothers it all comes together and looks like it has gone down the male line for many many years.

I do not believe my anxiety is lessened by eating gluten free, I know it is. If I eat gluten I get bloating, bad diahorrea (sp), and generally feel ill. So I get the classic symptoms when I eat gluten!

pulisa
30-12-15, 18:30
Yes I know all about the hereditary aspects of coeliac disease as my Father had it. He was only diagnosed after blood tests showed that he was severely iron-deficient and a biopsy confirmed the diagnosis. He had no gut symptoms nor was he anxious.

The anaemia is the biggest clue as regards true coeliac disease and a blood test confirms the diagnosis but as you say only when you continue to eat gluten not if you have gone gluten free prior to the blood test.

I've recently been tested and am pleased that I tested negative.

shakey1961
30-12-15, 18:40
Hi Pulisa. I'm glad you been tested negative for it, however I believe there is something called silent coeliac that doesn't show up on tests.

All I know is that I have a very sensitive gut and whatever I put into it I have to be VERY careful. I can tell when things aren't right by the different colour of my stools and at the moment it's a sort of orange, which shows if don't something wrong (hence the ice-cream).

Wishing you a great 2016

pulisa
30-12-15, 19:47
I'm not iron-deficient and my ferritin levels are normal so I don't think I have the silent coeliac version but I'm aware that I'm more at risk so I'll not overdo the gluten. I do like bread so I'd find it hard to give up if I didn't have to.

Happy New year to you too!