PDA

View Full Version : Hello! I'm Halyna

Halyna
30-12-15, 08:12
Hi, everyone! I'm Halyna, 26, from Ukraine. I've been struggling with anxiety for the last 5 years. The last two years weren't that bad until May 2015, when I've suddenly found myself with nothing to do (I'm a tutor, summer holidays came sooner than expected). Then during the July/August heat wave I was feeling very miserable, but was too weak and freaked out to go to my doctor. And now I'm finally on my way to recovery, determined to take good care of myself this time. I've been on Phenibut for the last four month. Now my doctor wants me to take a break for a week to see how I'll manage without any meds at all, and then he'll put me on herbal meds. I also want to start psychotherapy as soon as I feel strong enough.

Yesterday was my first day without any medications, so I was a bit worried. I'm having all kinds of intrusive thoughts. That's why I've decided to join this forum and seek some support. Funny thing is, that I've only started thinking that I might be losing my mind after seeing a psychiatrist. I regret going to that psychiatrist, because she made me feel bad for being a caring person and said some things that I strongly disagree with (but what is considered 'normal' or 'not a big deal' in our country).

It's hard sometimes, when I think that I'm not recovering fast enough. But I try to reassure myself. Things will get better eventually.

I'm looking forward to joining your friendly online community!

venusbluejeans
30-12-15, 08:23
Hiya Halyna and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Hippyannie
30-12-15, 08:52
Welcome!

Nice to see you :)

uru
30-12-15, 12:02
Welcome :)

What are you anxious about?

Halyna
30-12-15, 13:01
Welcome :)

What are you anxious about?

I mostly worry about my health and whether I'm strong enough to do what I want or have to do. I'm also a bit agoraphobic. Also the focus of my anxiety seems to shift from time to time. I had a period of worrying about not making enough money, which resulted in my breakdown. Five years ago when it all started I was worrying too much about school. Is this what GAD looks like? Unfortunately, I don't have a diagnosis, because in Ukraine doctors don't go into details and just say that it's Vegetative-vascular dystonia.

gatsby12
30-12-15, 17:15
I mostly worry about my health and whether I'm strong enough to do what I want or have to do. I'm also a bit agoraphobic. Also the focus of my anxiety seems to shift from time to time. I had a period of worrying about not making enough money, which resulted in my breakdown. Five years ago when it all started I was worrying too much about school. Is this what GAD looks like? Unfortunately, I don't have a diagnosis, because in Ukraine doctors don't go into details and just say that it's Vegetative-vascular dystonia.

So basically you just have ruminating thoughts about your health?

Halyna
31-12-15, 14:07
So basically you just have ruminating thoughts about your health?

Yes.

uru
31-12-15, 15:27
Ah so in Ukraine they don't really recognise anxiety?

Halyna
01-01-16, 14:06
Ah so in Ukraine they don't really recognise anxiety?

It is sort of recognised but GPs think of it as a special case of dystonia.

uru
01-01-16, 15:55
I've never heard of dystonia...:)

I think if I was in Ukraine all the military stuff would've fraid my nerves...

Halyna
01-01-16, 17:33
I've never heard of dystonia...:)

I think if I was in Ukraine all the military stuff would've fraid my nerves...

Dystonia was a popular diagnosis in the USSR. It's still kind of a replacement for anxiety and a variety of other diagnoses in the post-soviet countries. It's also often called the "non-existent disease", because it was believed that doctors use it as an excuse when they don't know what's wrong with their patient. :)

I'm lucky enough to live far away from the conflict zone. Although I did spend my share of time watching the news and bawling my eyes out.