PDA

View Full Version : Bad doctor experience caused more anxiety

Halyna
30-12-15, 14:05
A few month ago, when I started treatment after a breakdown, I mentioned to my doctor that I want to try psychotherapy. He recommended me a therapist, who instead turned out to be a psychiatrist. After having visited her I've ended up with a whole new batch of negative thoughts. At some point I've even convinced myself that I'm bipolar (because she prescribed me Zoloft, and it sort of 'tests' you for it). I was worried of having a manic episode.

Fortunately my doctor told me not to take most of the meds, that the psychiatrist had prescribed me. Three month later I'm feeling better, but am currently second day without any medication at all (my doc wants me to take a week off and see how I'll manage). Since yesterday I'm having the same thoughts that I had after that psych. appointment. I'm trying to distract myself from these thoughts. Today is already not as bad as yesterday.

Yesterday I was really upset and cried myself into a headache. I just regret going to that psychiatrist so much. I have so many reasons not to trust her, eventhough she's a good acquaintance of my doctor. She called me a 'fighter for justice' which in Ukrainian does not sound like a compliment. She also made me feel bad for worrying about my students. She said: "Why do you care about them so much? They have their own parents." And there were some other things she told me, which I disagree with, but are considered 'normal' in my country.

The funny side to the story is that I don't worry about what the psychiatrist told me (depression, social phobia, low self-esteem). I worry about what she might have thought my problem is. And there's this thought at the back of my head that I should 'act like it'.

I'm really really overthinking all this, just because my doctor sent me to a psychiatrist instead of a therapist. And now I feel stupid because of having these thoughts.