PDA

View Full Version : Feelings caused by ocd

Danron
03-01-16, 13:13
Hi everyone,

I'm having a relapse of my ocd and am working really hard to get better again. I haven't started exposure yet but I will with my new therapist (just waiting for an appointment). The thing I'm struggling with is reminding my self that feelings I am experiencing are a function of my ocd. I know that it's true but it's really hard to believe that when you constantly feel like something is wrong. I know that it's caused by a malfunctioning amygdala and that this is sending out the false alarm signals but sometimes it's blooming convincing!

winduptoy
04-01-16, 04:09
Hi Danron,

I'm struggling with the same thing at the moment so I'm not sure I'm much help, but I just wanted to say I'm thinking of you. It's quite depleting when you know your thoughts and feelings are irrational but yet they grab you by the collar just the same.

Is it not a matter of accepting we have the feelings and then acting despite them? My therapist would tell me that's the case. Hard to do but once we get over that hurdle we're on the home straight.

MyNameIsTerry
04-01-16, 07:04
Is it not a matter of accepting we have the feelings and then acting despite them? My therapist would tell me that's the case. Hard to do but once we get over that hurdle we're on the home straight.

I think that depends on the context. "Feel the fear and do anyway" then yes, but not if the action you take is to complete a compulsion. Acting out a compulsion is part of the cycle and a reinforce. Breaking this cycle is one way towards reducing the OCD, but only one part of it. Both are hard though, but they get easier as you start recovering.

What sort of feelings, Danron? Are you able to talk about them? The reason I ask is that OCD is a very mixed up disorder and some of the things we feel get twisted out of context when they may be things outside of our OCD that we also need to work on accepting or just separating & rationalising? (if that makes sense?)

Danron
04-01-16, 20:48
Thanks for your replies folks, and really sorry your going through the same thing winduptoy, here if you need to chat. And wise words from both of you.

Basically my issue is I get intrusive thoughts and I know that they are OCD and not true (lot's of CBT helped me get to this point) but the accompanying 'feeling' (which I know is a result of my ocd) always tries to convince me otherwise!

It's funny but when i actually type that out I can see how it is another function of my ocd but try telling my head that!

The other thing is that during the times when I'm not experiencing intrusions I just have this constant something is wrong feeling and then I start looking for what might be wrong and hey presto.....

Thank you so much for responding folks, it really means a lot to know there are people who understand (I wis you didn't have to go through it though)

Have a lovely evening xxx
Danron xxx

wayne7
23-02-16, 12:32
Hello.. I can really relate to what you are saying. I remember once thinking i have no worries and this in turn caused me to worry :shrug:. Have you started CBT yet ? Hope it helps you a lot. :) @Danron..