PDA

View Full Version : eustachian tube disorder

cattia
03-01-16, 14:17
It's one thing after another these past couple of weeks. I've been waking up randomly with a blocked ear for a while now but it usually clears as soon as I get up. It corresponds with a blocked sinus that I have on one side. I get allergies but why they should affect one side more than the other I don't know.
Anyway, two days ago I woke up and my right ear was completely blocked and I haven't been able to clear it since. My hearing is quite limited now on that side. I went to the Dr and he told me I had an adult version of glue ear which will clear on its own but will take up to a month! The worst thing is the fatigue and foggy headedness that I've got. I feel as though I'm underwater the whole time. Everything is distant and it's basically a horrible feeling of disassociation that makes me feel awful. I stupidly googled and of course the internet is full of people who have been stuck with this condition for years as it can't really be treated:( I was feeling so good before Christmas but now I feel sick and exhausted and just want to curl up in bed. I wish I just knew that they would end. Feeling spaced out like this is a major trigger for my anxiety.

Anxiouscow
03-01-16, 19:17
The doctor told you it would be a month? Trust your doctor! Doctor Google is not your friend, and a real life GP is paid to be your friend! haha I'm kidding.

Your doctor is looking for your best interests, and of course you'll second-guess what they say because that is the nature of anxiety! If the doctor says it will be a month, then believe him/her. If it doesn't clear up in a month then go back, but reassure yourself it isn't anything serious and try not to jump to the worst conclusions, as HA sufferers like myself so often do!

Feel better soon :)

witsend
03-01-16, 22:21
I get that a lot and its vile, and is guaranteed to set off my anx. There is something you can do to relieve the symptoms - a nasal rinse. Have a look on Youtube to see how to do it. You basically pour tepid sterile saline water up one nostril, let it trickle out the other, then blow you nose gently. It's a bit unpleasant to do at first, but you get used to it, and it does help shift some of the mucus. It's definitely worth a try.

itwillbefine
03-01-16, 22:28
I took something called betaserc for two weeks for a blocked ear. That helped really well increasing my hearing in both ears.

.Poppy.
04-01-16, 00:09
If I remember correctly, surgery can be performed to compensate for the eustacian tube, which would solve the problem.

Obviously surgery isn't something you'd want to do off the bat, but if it's something that occurs frequently or lasts for a long time, it could be an option. You're not just stuck if for some reason it doesn't go away quickly (which it might - trust your doctor!).

I hope you get to feeling better soon. :)