PDA

View Full Version : Cpn, Docs And Hubby Trying To Decide My Future . Do You Think Its Right?

smudgie
23-02-07, 00:37
Hi

Since my last bad days with self harm, the doctors , cps and hubby want me to go back to the unit for a while. It s not help , its just containment , ive been there before of and on for 6mths, it makes me worse as I feel I have lost control and freedom but they wont listen to me.

Im trying to battle the CPS with my daughter and recoverying from a severe overdose, because I found out my ex abused her.

Im trying so hard to keep it together, CPN asked if I felt anxiety regarding a months hloiday we have booked to Nepal in March, I said yes and she instantly said I shouldnt go, dont they realise its what we both need after all we have been through.

Im going , my passport and ticket is hidden away from hubby and I will go in the clothes Im stood up in if I have too.

We are all here trying so hard to help our selves but we dont get the chance, they want me in by the weekend. I ve told if I dont go they will section 3 me.
I feel so sad.
What do you think?

ness

Antipodes
23-02-07, 03:01
Hi Ness,

I am a fellow PTSD-er. I read your post and see we've both been in the same space :- (

I live in New Zealand so I don't know UK rules. I would imagine the status of people wanting you to return to the residential unit is pure "recommendation". If you were to be sectioned (compelled) it would require one if not two psychiatrists. I hope I'm right but I'm sure you can check so you can distinguish the difference. So it really depends on how you feel about dealing with a psychiatric assessment.

Do remember PTSD is not an illness. It is a psychiatric injury and you are a victim. Can you "defend" yourself and manage the interview?

I admire you wanting the holiday. PTSD has made me a bit of a hermit. So take the holiday and prepare for it, and enjoy it.

When you get back you can concentrate on getting your symptoms settled so you can get to somewhere near where you were pre-PTSD onset. I hope you can do this quickly with a good holiday behind you.

Let us know how you got on??

Antipodes

Ross
23-02-07, 03:44
Hi Ness.

Im very sorry that you are in the midst of some very troubling times.

What I am about to say may be quite contaversial, but CPN's are just foot soldiers who generally know very little. I am not slating all of them, but they take a short course in 'people skills' and are permitted to evaluate a persons situation.

The job of a CPN is to listen, take notes and forward them onto a professional. They offer advice on a basic level.

If you feel able and willing to take this vacation and you believe it will be beneficial to you, then by all means take it.

That said, I recommend you re-evaluate your position before you leave, and make 100% sure you will be ok. If you have any doubts, please do not go. Your circumstances will be much better dealt with here than in Nepal.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck, and it will be great to hear of your decision.

Best Wishes

Ross

Karen
23-02-07, 20:59
Hi Ness

How are you today.

I believe that as well as two psychiatrists, an authorised social worker is involved in sectioning and it is always the last resort.

When I went into the EDU hospital last year I went as a 'voluntary' patient, although at the time I was given the impression that I had very little other choice. I didn't want to be sectioned and went along with what was being said, rather than fighting it. I also did want to get better but unfortunately soon found being re-fed on an EDU was not the way to get better.

At one point a couple of weeks into my stay I did mention leaving and the psychiatrist 'threatened' me with sectioning but I was too scared to challenge her.

The CPN has not power at all on her own and can only pass information on.

I guess the tough question is what do you really feel about all of this? Do you think you can stay out of hospital and be safe? Do you want to go on holiday and can you cope?

Having been threatened with sectioning I disagree with anyone having their rights taken away from them like that. I know I'd hate it. But, at the same time, we do want you to be safe. I still believe in the end it should be your decision, but that's just my personal belief.

I hope today has been better.

Karen xx

smudgie
26-02-07, 00:46
Antipodes, Karen and RossinBristol

Thank you for your reply. I know what you are saying, the embarrassing thing for me is that for 16yrs I have been a mental health social worker, so I do know whats going on and im trying to stay 1 foot ahead of them.

CPN's should never be, they are a waste of time and money.

Its my consultant that wants be back in.

Im going away, because I know its the best for me, I need this break.

I of course , when I get back let you know how I got on.

Thank you again for your care and support.
ness

Krakers
26-02-07, 06:55
Hi smudgie - I may not be 100% on this, becuase I only have second hand expereince of a friend of mine. He admitted himself voluntarily, but the upshot was becasue he was self referrred he could actually leave at any time.

If this is indeed the case, it may be worth towing the line and going in until the day of the holiday. Then simply book a taxi, excuse yourself and go to the airport and take the holiday you much deserve. As far as I know you can't be sectioned before the time it would take you to get to the airport and have the break you damn welll deserve.

Krakers.

smudgie
26-02-07, 21:05
Hi Krackers

Thank you for your support.

Whats happened is Im at my brothers in Plymouth hiding and hubby collecting me on Friday to drive to London and catch that flight. WE NEED THIS KRACKERS, we are nil battery and need a boost, we love the counrty and have friends out there.

Your right We need this and its well deserved after everything thats happened this year.

You take good care of you when Im away and we will catch up when Im back.

Thank you, It meant alot hearing from you my friend.

My goal when I get back is to knock you off the score list.

Take care of you

Smudgie
nesx x x x

Karen
26-02-07, 22:02
Hi Ness

I am glad to hear you are ok. I had been wondering when you hadn't posted again.

If I remember rightly no one said you couldn't go away on holiday but suggested maybe now is not the right time. Therefore you are still free to go away should you choose to.

Sectioning is a last resort and it doesn't seem like anyone is in a hurry to do this. I too thought of running away and hiding, but where and for how long? If you are communicating with them they are less likely to take action. Have you missed appointments or has anyone been enquiring as to where you are?

If you go away on holiday I hope you can enjoy yourself and have a good time.

Keep yourself safe.

Karen xx

hippie
02-03-07, 18:07
hi ross,your comments about cpns are completely wrong.cpns have to have a degree in psychiatric nursing,where they also learn counselling skills,so know plenty about mental health.i know this as i am a trained psychiatric nurse myself,and also have a friend who is a cpn.Most work with huge case loads,my friend has about 50 on his,and really DO know their stuff.