PDA

View Full Version : Trusting a GP's opinion/diagnosis...

username001
03-01-16, 19:34
Hey guys,

I went to the GPs the other day for a tingling sensation I get in my legs, feet, arms and hands - and occasionally the side of my face...I went because I was concerned it was related to my bad back, he wasn't at all worried - and said that its nothing serious. Do I trust him? The tingling is still there, it doesn't hurt or anything and it's not there the entire time but it's noticeable. I have a virus (stuffy nose, sore throat etc) at the minute so maybe it's to do with that.

Either way, I'm gonna try and put it out of my mind! Any ideas how I can do this?

Em.ma
03-01-16, 20:00
Yes trust him.

Just try to tell your self "this might be annoying but it can't harm me" and distraction. X

username001
03-01-16, 20:02
Thanks Emma! I hope you're well?

Aye, I'm just worried that'll bother me when I fly to the USA next week - eight hour flight to look forward to!

Em.ma
03-01-16, 20:04
As well as can be lol. Dreading tonight as have work tomorrow but telling me self "if I don't sleep the worst that can happen is I'll be tired tomorrow"

Ooo sounds exciting. Try not to worry I bet it'll be great fun. !! X

PrincessPanic89
03-01-16, 20:08
I went to the doctors last year about a mole on my back. The doctor referred me to a dermatologist and I had the mole removed. After a biopsy, it revealed abnormalities so I needed a wider excision. I have a lot of moles, so I had all of them checked by another dermatologist before my wider excision and they told me that all the other moles were fine. I had my wider excision but in the process, a mole next to it needed to be taken out as it was in the way. They sent a biopsy of that off since they'd taken it out. Turns out that one has the same as the other one I just had fully removed.

It has sent my mind into overdrive. I was told my other moles were fine but they aren't. If they hadn't had to take the other one out, they wouldn't have known there was anything wrong. Now I'm finding it hard to trust what they've told me. How many more of them are abnormal? How could they tell without removing them all?

I think you just have to trust them. Unfortunately, that's easier said than done when you suffer with health anxiety!

Traceypo
I would definitely make the decision to trust him, if you don't you're entering into a whole new world of distrust of professionals.
Xx
Emma, try telling yourself your going to have a lovely sleep tonight, say it over and over in your head, it works for me.
Good luck with work.
Xx

username001
Exactly - positive thoughts :)

Yeah I'm excited!

uru
03-01-16, 20:59
Don't try to put it out of your mind?

Accept it and just get on with it. Just think 'ok so this happening now'. Trying to put it out of your mind won't work I think.

MyNameIsTerry
04-01-16, 05:39
Don't try to put it out of your mind?

Accept it and just get on with it. Just think 'ok so this happening now'. Trying to put it out of your mind won't work I think.

100% agree. There are even studies to prove forcing out thoughts actually makes the mind think about them more. The "White Bear" metaphor springs to mind. It's obvious when you think about it, why would putting a load of effort into tell your mind to stop thinking about something decrease it thinking - it can't as it's having to think about not thinking about it.

Accept it instead and push on and let it just go on it's own. Whole therapies use this and it works.

What you have described could be your back, and your GP is not concerned which is good, but it can also just be anxiety itself. GAD has these tingling sensations as a common 24/7 one. I have had them since mine started 9 years ago and they occur more when really anxious or sitting/lying but if I get moving, they go.