PDA

View Full Version : Lymph nodes swollen for 8 years. Still worried about lymphoma

scared88
03-01-16, 21:13
Hi everyone. I've not been on here much, I usually go to another forum but I want some different perspective.

I'm 27 year old male and I've had swollen lymph nodes in my armpits and groin since 2007, or over 8 years. I had various tests done back in 2007, a big big blood test, CT scans and ultrasounds. The blood test did reveal some traces of a viral infection maybe Epstein Barr and I stopped worrying.
Fast forward 4 years later in 2011 I get worried again after finding some more but small nodes in my armpit and in 2012 had more blood tests and more ultrasounds and even went to see an hematologist. My GP looked at the ultrasound images with the technician and they both say they are normal looking. Or were back then. The blood was fine, although I did have elevated LDH which really did freak me out but the doctor and hematologist weren't worried about that it seems.
Here I am almost 4 years later and I haven't been to a doctor about this since then and I've been doing alright.
Few days ago though I was feeling some soreness around my armpits and shoulder and I started digging in my armpit and measuring my nodes. I felt bunch of stuff I didn't like, all the way up in my pit probably close to the shoulder bone might be more lymph nodes :( But hopefully just tendons.
When I had my armpit ultrasounds the technician did mark and measured lots of different things, I think I remember it that way. So I hope it's just that. I've been freaking out for two whole days now :(
I'm still worried that this could be follicular lymphoma :(

So to recap:
Several nodes in armpits and few very small ones in groin.
Been like that for over 8 years or since I was 18
Remnants of viral infection found on an old blood test from 2007
All test show normal nodes

Fishmanpa
03-01-16, 21:58

We have over 600 lymph nodes in our bodies. Many of which we can feel if we poke and prod. "All test show normal nodes" means that the nodes are not swollen nor are they sinister in any way, shape or form. What you're feeling are "normal" nodes. Everyone has them. You just happen to be hyper-aware and have a rather obsessive self checking behavior. They are not "swollen" nor do you have lymphoma based on tests you've had.

Positive thoughts

scared88
03-01-16, 22:17
We have over 600 lymph nodes in our bodies. Many of which we can feel if we poke and prod. "All test show normal nodes" means that the nodes are not swollen nor are they sinister in any way, shape or form. What you're feeling are "normal" nodes. Everyone has them. You just happen to be hyper-aware and have a rather obsessive self checking behavior. They are not "swollen" nor do you have lymphoma based on tests you've had.

Positive thoughts

I do have swollen nodes though in my armpits that are around 1.5 - 2.0 CM in width

Fishmanpa
03-01-16, 22:27
I do have swollen nodes though in my armpits that are around 1.5 - 2.0 CM in width

Per whom? Diagnosed and measured by whom? I had Head and Neck cancer and had two 5+cm nodes removed from my neck. The ENT was close in his estimates but he was a trained professional. They were actually a bit larger than he thought.

"Normal" nodes can be .05cm to 2cm depending on the location. Keep in mind that constant poking and prodding causes nodes to react by swelling and they may become shotty. This may be the case after 8 years of self checking.

With respect, medical tests and professionals have given you the all clear.

What are you doing to treat your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

scared88
03-01-16, 23:23
Per whom? Diagnosed and measured by whom? I had Head and Neck cancer and had two 5+cm nodes removed from my neck. The ENT was close in his estimates but he was a trained professional. They were actually a bit larger than he thought.

"Normal" nodes can be .05cm to 2cm depending on the location. Keep in mind that constant poking and prodding causes nodes to react by swelling and they may become shotty. This may be the case after 8 years of self checking.

With respect, medical tests and professionals have given you the all clear.

What are you doing to treat your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

The ultrasound and doctors do say swollen nodes. I don't remember the sizes from the ultrasounds but they to feel to be around the size when I touch them and put them between my fingers.

The nodes in my groin are much smaller and the one in my right groin was very scary. That one was the only one that was ever painful it has since then gone down almost completely but I can still feel. The fact that none of them were painful, aside from that one, scares me.

Fishmanpa
03-01-16, 23:58
Unfortunately, you're contradicting yourself.

The ultrasound and doctors do say swollen nodes.

With respect... which is it?

Positive thoughts

scared88
04-01-16, 00:00
Unfortunately, you're contradicting yourself.

With respect... which is it?

Positive thoughts

They find nodes that are swollen but don't look malignant. The last time I went for an ultrasound was in 2012.

Fishmanpa
04-01-16, 00:12
It's Baldrick right? Anyway... you have the best reassurance you can get in scientific medical testing giving you the all clear and the fact you're still here after all these years.

I really would look into treating your HA to learn how to deal with this. If medical science can't quell your worry, nothing anyone can or will say will reassure you in the big picture.

Good luck to you and as always...

Positive thoughts

scared88
04-01-16, 00:27
Yeah I'm him. After over 3 years over at AZ forum I decided to look around and see what others have to say.

I know. After the initial all clear in October 2007 I didn't think about the nodes for 4 years until November 2011 when I started to feel kinda tired and I immediately thought of the nodes and started feeling them again. It was then when I discovered I had more nodes swollen in my armpit and that set off the HA. Since then I've talked to many doctors and a hematologist and had the ultrasounds that I mentioned before.

The cancer I'm worried about is follicular lymphoma which can take years to develop symptoms.
Based on your experience with cancer a node with cancer in it even though very slow and now symptoms have appeared will look abnormal in an ultrasound. Cause I'm worried that maybe they have turned suspicious now.

I'm gonna call my doctors office tomorrow and try to see my old therapist

Masonn
04-01-16, 02:16
Are you sure they're swollen..? I had a panic attack over feeling two 1-2cm lumps in my neck and went to the doctor and he laughed at me saying that lymph nodes aren't only felt when they're swollen, and if they're not larger than around 2cm they're not swollen. Also, if they were cancerous wouldn't they typically be growing in size?

scared88
04-01-16, 02:31
Are you sure they're swollen..? I had a panic attack over feeling two 1-2cm lumps in my neck and went to the doctor and he laughed at me saying that lymph nodes aren't only felt when they're swollen, and if they're not larger than around 2cm they're not swollen. Also, if they were cancerous wouldn't they typically be growing in size?

Well yes as I said they are a bit enlarged as they are not the tiny little pea sized object. I'm not 100 percent sure of theri size but they are over 1cm in diameter but I don't think they have grown over the years, one in my groin even shrunk. Do you still have yours swollen or enlarged?

---------- Post added at 02:31 ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 ----------

and now I have tingling in my right armpit. This has happened several times before. Even when I haven't been touching them

nivekc251
04-01-16, 06:44
I had a lymphoma scare a year ago. I had a lymph node on my neck for 5 years.I woke up one day and thought let me Google this..... big mistake. I convinced myself I had lymphoma. I went in a frenzy and found about 3 more nodes. Went to 3 doctors and they all told me the nodes were fine. After 8 years and tests to confirm it I'd say you have nothing to worry about.i knew a girl who had lymphoma. Lymph node went from a dime to a golf ball on 3 months. She let me touch it and it was hard as a rock. This was on may and she is now lymphoma free.

Masonn
04-01-16, 08:20
Well yes as I said they are a bit enlarged as they are not the tiny little pea sized object. I'm not 100 percent sure of theri size but they are over 1cm in diameter but I don't think they have grown over the years, one in my groin even shrunk. Do you still have yours swollen or enlarged?

---------- Post added at 02:31 ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 ----------

and now I have tingling in my right armpit. This has happened several times before. Even when I haven't been touching them

My doctor told me mine aren't swollen nor enlarged, and it's perfectly natural to be able to feel some of your lymph nodes. Mine are still the same they were 3 years ago. I can still feel them in my neck. If some have strunk, you really have nothing to worry about. Lymph nodes can swell for a ton of reasons, and it's usually only considered a cancer symptom (still rare) if they never go away but instead grow larger.

Tingling is heavily associated with anxiety. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Plus, I've never read anywhere that tingling in your arm pits or near lymph nodes is a sign of anything lol. Usually cancerous ones are painless and growing in size.

scared88
04-01-16, 15:16
I had a lymphoma scare a year ago. I had a lymph node on my neck for 5 years.I woke up one day and thought let me Google this..... big mistake. I convinced myself I had lymphoma. I went in a frenzy and found about 3 more nodes. Went to 3 doctors and they all told me the nodes were fine. After 8 years and tests to confirm it I'd say you have nothing to worry about.i knew a girl who had lymphoma. Lymph node went from a dime to a golf ball on 3 months. She let me touch it and it was hard as a rock. This was on may and she is now lymphoma free.

Are all your swellings in the neck and are they still swollen?

---------- Post added at 15:16 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

My doctor told me mine aren't swollen nor enlarged, and it's perfectly natural to be able to feel some of your lymph nodes. Mine are still the same they were 3 years ago. I can still feel them in my neck. If some have strunk, you really have nothing to worry about. Lymph nodes can swell for a ton of reasons, and it's usually only considered a cancer symptom (still rare) if they never go away but instead grow larger.

Tingling is heavily associated with anxiety. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Plus, I've never read anywhere that tingling in your arm pits or near lymph nodes is a sign of anything lol. Usually cancerous ones are painless and growing in size.

Well mine swelled up and have never gone down except for that on in my groin but they haven't grown any past what they did originally. I think

nivekc251
04-01-16, 18:21
Yup my lymph nodes are all still swollen. My doc said they were shotty but they have all stayed the same size unless I start to poke at them then they swell a little more.

Fishmanpa
04-01-16, 18:39
As you can see, the responses here echo the pages of responses elsewhere. They also echo the responses on your previous threads. So, knowing what scientific medical tests have shown as well as the opinion of trained medical professionals and the opinions of dozens of other anxiety sufferers who've had and have similar fears and symptoms, what's the conclusion and what do you need to so about it? ;)

Positive thoughts

scared88
04-01-16, 19:32
Yup my lymph nodes are all still swollen. My doc said they were shotty but they have all stayed the same size unless I start to poke at them then they swell a little more.

How big are they? Cause mine are fairly big and I feel like they are too big to be shotty. And I have no idea why the did swell up, some blood test I had years ago found some traces of a viral infection and there is a chance I had some cause this time of year 2007 I was having some violent vomiting and couldn't keep down many things. But I didn't notice any lymph node swellings until much later in the year. July I think it was and they were all completely painless. With one exception being the one which has since gone down quite a bit, that one did get painful on two occasions.
I guess yours were painless too since you didn't do anything about it??

---------- Post added at 19:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

As you can see, the responses here echo the pages of responses elsewhere. They also echo the responses on your previous threads. So, knowing what scientific medical tests have shown as well as the opinion of trained medical professionals and the opinions of dozens of other anxiety sufferers who've had and have similar fears and symptoms, what's the conclusion and what do you need to so about it? ;)

Positive thoughts

I went today to a walk in clinic, they are never the best but I did get some pills for nausea I've been having since this happened. The doctor very briefly felt the nodes and said they were too small to be anything. Then I also contacted my therapist today and she'll call me this week with an appointment.

Fishmanpa
04-01-16, 19:37
I went today to a walk in clinic, they are never the best but I did get some pills for nausea I've been having since this happened. The doctor very briefly felt the nodes and said they were too small to be anything. Then I also contacted my therapist today and she'll call me this week with an appointment.

Good going! Hopefully this is the first step in your journey to freedom from the dragon!

Positive thoughts

scared88
04-01-16, 21:14
Good going! Hopefully this is the first step in your journey to freedom from the dragon!

Positive thoughts

I hope so.
However, I still haven't addressed the mild discomfort I sometimes get in my left side rib cage. Of course with the lymph nodes I jump on it being my spleen ugh. It's been like that for some time, probably over 2 years. It's never painful though.

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:21 ----------

And of course I have the feeling that the lymph nodes could appear normal on ultrasound but be abnormal and malignant ugh

---------- Post added at 21:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

OK I'm again having a bit of an attack cause I googled ugh. I just get the feeling that the nodes could be cancerous ugh

nivekc251
04-01-16, 21:25
Mine are about 1 cm squishy and painless. I thought the same thing that they are too big to be shotty my ENT doc disagreed ,and reminded me that he has seen and diagnosed thousands of lymphoma cases and what I have is not lymphoma. I had my doubts of course but I told myself if they grow then I'll worry, but they are still the same size. I told my doc that I had them for 5 years and the 1st thing he told me was well we know it's not cancer lol.

Fishmanpa
04-01-16, 21:38
I hope so.
However, I still haven't addressed the mild discomfort I sometimes get in my left side rib cage. Of course with the lymph nodes I jump on it being my spleen ugh. It's been like that for some time, probably over 2 years. It's never painful though.

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:21 ----------

And of course I have the feeling that the lymph nodes could appear normal on ultrasound but be abnormal and malignant ugh

---------- Post added at 21:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

OK I'm again having a bit of an attack cause I googled ugh. I just get the feeling that the nodes could be cancerous ugh

You have to help yourself here. Doing what you're doing is only aggravating things. You know that, we know that, but we can't do it for you :shrug:

Positive thoughts

scared88
04-01-16, 23:28
Mine are about 1 cm squishy and painless. I thought the same thing that they are too big to be shotty my ENT doc disagreed ,and reminded me that he has seen and diagnosed thousands of lymphoma cases and what I have is not lymphoma. I had my doubts of course but I told myself if they grow then I'll worry, but they are still the same size. I told my doc that I had them for 5 years and the 1st thing he told me was well we know it's not cancer lol.

Mine are, according to my measurements, at least 1.5cm and hard, not rock hard, but hard nevertheless.
I just went to the doctors....again. Luckily this was a GP at the same office my own GP works at and I've been to before when my GP has been off. He said that I should forget about the nodes but acknowledged that it can be hard to do that.

You have to help yourself here. Doing what you're doing is only aggravating things. You know that, we know that, but we can't do it for you :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Yeah....I made the mistake of googling if ultrasounds were any good finding lymphoma and it came back as a no :( So that set me off a bit.
But you as a former (I hope) cancer patient can maybe reassure me a bit. Would a lymphoma, even very slow growing type, present with some actual nodal size changes over 8 1/2 years?

Fishmanpa
04-01-16, 23:42
Yeah....I made the mistake of googling if ultrasounds were any good finding lymphoma and it came back as a no :( So that set me off a bit. But you as a former (I hope) cancer patient can maybe reassure me a bit. Would a lymphoma, even very slow growing type, present with some actual nodal size changes over 8 1/2 years?

Yes, I'm still cancer free. Next scope, poke and prod in February. I anticipate a clean report.

I've given you that reassurance in previous posts and you've had countless others do the same in addition to the medical profession. I have real medical issues that can bury me six feet under. Sadly, you're doing that to yourself above ground. I'll just say best wishes and good luck. I hope you find some peace with all this. 8.5 years of worry about what has been proven normal and benign is an awful lot of time wasted worrying.

Positive thoughts

scared88
04-01-16, 23:53
Yes, I'm still cancer free. Next scope, poke and prod in February. I anticipate a clean report.

I've given you that reassurance in previous posts and you've had countless others do the same in addition to the medical profession. I have real medical issues that can bury me six feet under. Sadly, you're doing that to yourself above ground. I'll just say best wishes and good luck. I hope you find some peace with all this. 8.5 years of worry about what has been proven normal and benign is an awful lot of time wasted worrying.

Positive thoughts

Well I certainly hope that you get an all clear in Feb!
Funnily enough of those 8.5 years I've only been anxious for just over 4. When I found additional nodes in my armpit that I hadn't felt before. But I don't think they've gotten any bigger so I hope they're just like they are from now on and stay this size

scared88
05-01-16, 18:30
Guess another thing to bother me is just how hard they are at least when pushed on top of them. If I grab them then they feel a bit softer I guess

nivekc251
05-01-16, 18:47
I use to think mine were hard too. Then I felt that girls node it was like a bone. I say squishy because I compare it to that. They are some what rubbery rather than squishy, but not hard

scared88
05-01-16, 20:16
I use to think mine were hard too. Then I felt that girls node it was like a bone. I say squishy because I compare it to that. They are some what rubbery rather than squishy, but not hard

Sometimes though mine really do feel like a rock :/ At least the bigger one in my left pit. But if I grab it between my fingers and squeeze a bit then I can feel them squish a bit

nivekc251
05-01-16, 20:44
Stop doing that to them lol. Try to limit yourself from touching them. Sometimes anode can be up against muscle or ligaments and it can make them feel hard.

scared88
05-01-16, 21:12
Stop doing that to them lol. Try to limit yourself from touching them. Sometimes anode can be up against muscle or ligaments and it can make them feel hard.

I try not to but it's difficult. The only thing that's really around mine is skin and fat.

Fishmanpa
05-01-16, 21:50
There was a member on here (since gone) that was convinced he had lymphoma for years... Much like you. He poked and prodded to no end, went to several doctors over the years, had more tests , scans and blood work than most people get in a lifetime and all told him nothing was wrong. He continued to post about the same fear over and over and over. No amount of reassurance helped. He also continued to poke and prod to the point that his nodes went shotty and were permanently swollen. This just increased his anxiety and obsession despite doctors telling there was nothing wrong. He just knew he had lymphoma... totally convinced.

Finally, he found a doctor that actually agreed to do an invasive surgical procedure (biopsy). The nodes were removed and tested. Can you guess the result?... NEGATIVE! Sadly... he STILL didn't believe it. In some ways I believe he would have been happier being diagnosed. It's like the quote on a hypochondriacs gravestone when he died at 95 years old "Told you I was sick!"

I'm not a doctor but I've read your post history (here and on AZ) and I'm willing to bet the farm and all the animals you don't have lymphoma nor any other sinister issue going on other than a severe case of HA.

Many people spend thousands of dollars and waste their lives away chasing a diagnosis that will never come. Don't be that guy I described above. Get that appointment with your therapist. Talk about meds that may help you. I hope you find some peace and the road to healing.

Positive thoughts

scared88
05-01-16, 21:56
There was a member on here (since gone) that was convinced he had lymphoma for years... Much like you. He poked and prodded to no end, went to several doctors over the years, had more tests , scans and blood work than most people get in a lifetime and all told him nothing was wrong. He continued to post about the same fear over and over and over. No amount of reassurance helped. He also continued to poke and prod to the point that his nodes went shotty and were permanently swollen. This just increased his anxiety and obsession despite doctors telling there was nothing wrong. He just knew he had lymphoma... totally convinced.

Finally, he found a doctor that actually agreed to do an invasive surgical procedure (biopsy). The nodes were removed and tested. Can you guess the result?... NEGATIVE! Sadly... he STILL didn't believe it. In some ways I believe he would have been happier being diagnosed. It's like the quote on a hypochondriacs gravestone when he died at 95 years old "Told you I was sick!"

I'm not a doctor but I've read your post history (here and on AZ) and I'm willing to bet the farm and all the animals you don't have lymphoma nor any other sinister issue going on other than a severe case of HA.

Many people spend thousands of dollars and waste their lives away chasing a diagnosis that will never come. Don't be that guy I described above. Get that appointment with your therapist. Talk about meds that may help you. I hope you find some peace and the road to healing.

Positive thoughts

Lol.....I feel like I've seen you post this story before lol. But yes I'm gonna try to not be that guy.

As you maybe saw I made another thread about some strange taste I've been having today. I can taste the food I eat normally but there is the strange after taste.........I'm connecting that to lymphoma or any other cancer :wacko:

nivekc251
06-01-16, 01:55
I would tell myself I'm only going to touch these nodes 3 times today. When I wake up lunch and then when I'm about to go to bed. I would gently touch it just to see if it was larger. Then I got to once a day. Finally I just accepted the fact that sometimes nodes swell and don't go back to its smaller size. I ruined 4 months of my life worrying about an illness that I do not have, and I will never get it back. Can you see your nodes protruding through the skin?

Fishmanpa
06-01-16, 02:11
Can you see your nodes protruding through the skin?

Great question. I had head and neck cancer, stage IV, squamous cell carcinoma. I first felt the swollen node in August of 2012. I had a sinus infection. Long story short, by November 2012, the nodes were swollen enough (2cm... mind you 2cm... the size you claim you have) that you could clearly see them on the side of my neck. By the time I had surgery they were over 5cm and it looked like I had the mumps on the left side of my neck! Top it off that they were pressing on nerves and structures in my neck and I was in pain. All this happened in less than 6 months.

So yeah... 8+ years? NOT... I would have given my left nut for all the clear results you've gotten Baldrick/Scared88. Heck... I would have been happy with one...

Positive thoughts

scared88
07-01-16, 00:19
I would tell myself I'm only going to touch these nodes 3 times today. When I wake up lunch and then when I'm about to go to bed. I would gently touch it just to see if it was larger. Then I got to once a day. Finally I just accepted the fact that sometimes nodes swell and don't go back to its smaller size. I ruined 4 months of my life worrying about an illness that I do not have, and I will never get it back. Can you see your nodes protruding through the skin?

Great question. I had head and neck cancer, stage IV, squamous cell carcinoma. I first felt the swollen node in August of 2012. I had a sinus infection. Long story short, by November 2012, the nodes were swollen enough (2cm... mind you 2cm... the size you claim you have) that you could clearly see them on the side of my neck. By the time I had surgery they were over 5cm and it looked like I had the mumps on the left side of my neck! Top it off that they were pressing on nerves and structures in my neck and I was in pain. All this happened in less than 6 months.

So yeah... 8+ years? NOT... I would have given my left nut for all the clear results you've gotten Baldrick/Scared88. Heck... I would have been happy with one...

Positive thoughts

None of my nodes protrude at all at last not visibly. I know that's a good sign.

scared88
07-01-16, 20:38
Still haven't heard from the therapist and I can feel myself slipping again....the nodes feel big again ugh