PDA

View Full Version : I cannot believe I have done this...

Anxietysufferer92
04-01-16, 21:18
I was googling private blood test centres for a CBC and came across a popular one called Medichecks. I am such an idiot.. I only gone and paid £200 on CBB, Thyroid Test and... basic cancer check! I am so worried but this is the only way I am going to get reassurance. I'm scared already but it has to be done :doh:

cattia
04-01-16, 21:33
I understand that you feel the need to do this, but isn't this something that you could get your GP to do for you? As I understand it, these are fairly basic blood tests (same ones I am getting this week I think).

Anxietysufferer92
04-01-16, 22:32
I understand that you feel the need to do this, but isn't this something that you could get your GP to do for you? As I understand it, these are fairly basic blood tests (same ones I am getting this week I think).

He said I didn't need them :weep:

poppy77
04-01-16, 22:35
I've done this a month ago - I paid £240 for a private female assessment and £100 for a pelvic ultrasound when my health anxiety was at its worst. It was worth it to put my mind at ease although it did give a knock to my purse! I totally understand. Sometimes you just want reassurance and quickly, the NHS are great but sometimes waiting around for referrals (and that's if your GP feels it's necessary to refer you), can take a long time.

The only problem with extra private tests when you have HA is that when the tests clear you for one thing (and hopefully it does), you start obsessing over something else!!

Hope your tests put your mind at rest. Xxx

MyNameIsTerry
04-01-16, 22:44
I really do think the government need to do something about the private medical industry. Whilst there can be a need for, and it's not popular to admit GP's do make mistakes (thankfully it is rarely anything other than acute or chronic non life threatening stuff), I don't think the private industry should be allowed to perform tests unless there is a medical need for them.

Sadly if you have an obsessive compulsive disorder with a reassurance cycle, they know they are just making it worse long term. If this is the case for you, it will fight you all the way afterwards so you will need to really use this evidence to move your recovery forward.

Lin71
05-01-16, 20:56
I can totally understand why someone with HA would want to do this, I really can. But what is a 'basic cancer check'? Each type of cancer needs specific tests, I am just wondering what exactly they are offering....?
I hope you're not getting ripped off, financially and emotionally :ohmy:

swgrl09
05-01-16, 21:00
That's odd ... I'm not sure you can just request blood tests here without a doctor referring you, even if paying privately. Maybe I'm wrong though.

poppy77
05-01-16, 21:32
You can with some places - a health assessment will do basic blood tests such as a total blood count, liver enzyme, glucose etc. I didn't know about the other ones mentioned though.