PDA

View Full Version : Worrying about my Dad

Sylver1975
05-01-16, 11:00
Dad has depression, has done for 15 years + now. Christmas is always a bad time, he loves it but almost inevitably the high of the build up and the overindulgence in alcohol over the period results in a January low. Since New Years Eve he's been barely communicating, basically will just bark replies to my mother or me and my siblings (we're all grown up and not living at home) Yesterday I asked him if he was ok, was he down in the dumps, etc and he just shouted at me angrily. It's like he thinks we've done something to make him angry, though none of us know what. I know from past experience he will probably pull out of this eventually but I can't help worrying, not just about him but my poor mum having to live with him behaving like this. I have GAD myself and hate Christmas because of Dad's behaviour causing trouble most years but I don't know how to switch off. I go there at lunch time (they live near my work) and really don't want to go but feel if I don't my mum will wonder why not and she probably needs the support and distraction from living with this thunderously angry man.

Ever wish you could just fast-forward in time? I do, to a few weeks time when (hopefully) this will have resolved itself.

MichaelUk809
05-01-16, 13:19
Sorry to hear that, my dad's depressed too, he can't take medication though as he doesn't get along with it, maybe you could suggest he take some medication? Sertraline are good, alternatively, high intensity exercise, cut out alcohol as much as possible and eat more fruit, meditation can also be beneficial.

Sylver1975
05-01-16, 14:53
Dad is on all kinds of medication, too many to even list from everything to anti-depressants to paranoia medication to diabetes medication. He's worse and better today if that makes sense. Today, he's talking to me civilly but stil refusing to speak to my mum. More worrying, he told her yesterday that "A woman" told him to cut her and my sister out of his life. This is worrying as the last time he spoke of "a woman" telling him to do things we're pretty sure it was all in his head (he'd been taken off his paranoia meds at the time) So while it's good he's talking to me, it's not good he's listening to some possibly imaginary woman telling him to do things. Wondering if I should contact his doctor, though I know they can't do anything unless he actually goes in there to see them.