PDA

View Full Version : How can I help my son?

Bonnibelle
05-01-16, 12:12
My 11 year old son was bullied in 2015 in his last year of primary school. He's now in year 7 in high school, no bullying and he settled well. He had anxiety and panic attacks soon after the bullying began. I took him to see our gp who referred him to camhs (children's mental health team ) and they refused to see him. I carried on trying to help him myself but he still refused to even play outside his house with friends., always wanted to stay in and became very introvert. He's only 11 so I thought it's OK I wouldn't let him venture far anyway.

Starting high school he was nervous but he did amazing. The class he was put in wasn't ideal as it had the main bully in and none of his old class friends but he himself made 2 new friends and was happy ish. Then in October he started having very low mood and anxiety. I sensed something was wrong and wham he told me he had suicidal thoughts all year but didn't want to worry me. My world from that day fell apart. I took him back to my gp and he talked to my son. He said he isn't making plans they seem more intrusive as he's scared of them. Referred him to camhs again. They assessed him and said he has very low self esteem, low mood, anxiety and panic attacks and said they weren't able to help and I'd be the best person as I'd had anxiety in the past.

Things deteriorated from there. He had panic after panic. I'd have to leave my son in school begging me to take him home. I'd come home and just sob and that's when my panic and anxiety returned. After a month of seeing my son distressed and battling with camhs for them to change their minds I became ill. I suddenly couldn't walk around the ground beneath me moved and I felt dizzy. It was horrible. My gp diagnosed with witness severe stress and said what I'd been through was way too much for a person without anxiety never mind someone with. My daughter had also been rushed into hospital for 2 nights swith suspected appendicitis that week.

We got our son back to camhs and my husband demanded help with a back up letter form our gp and school. Our gp was disgusted with the treatment we had from camhs. Camhs agreed they'd made a mistake and agreed to put him on the waiting list. He is now right at the bottom having wasted a month.

My son had the week before Christmas off school due to a virus in the house. He was also exhausted and needed a rest. He was having daily panic attacks at school..school were fantastic and gave him a pass to get out of class without having to explain why, a room to go to and and support teacher that would be there for him. He's been amazing and really helped our son. He was using his pass 6 times a day but it recently was down to 4 a week.

He opened up to me over the holidays and told me this old bully had been messaging him calling him a sciver and he makes fun of my son everytime he has to use his pass during a panic attack to leave class. I had no idea this bully had started his old ways again. Now this bully has physically hurt my son in the past. My son had an emergency op 4 years ago due to a twist in his private area. This bully somehow found out about this and when my son returned to school he on purpose kicked my son down below. That's how physical it got. So this bully has taunted my son for years. He is now doing it again and it's no wonder my son feels anxious about school. I told him we would have him moved tutor group. He wasn't happy in his class due to having no friends in it and this bully being in the class.

He returned to school today and it was ok, he got up and was upbeat and said to me he was excited for a fresh start. It was amazing and reassuring to see. I could see he was anxious but I prayed today was a new start. Well by 9.30 I had the school calling me to pick him up. I refused and said they had to work with me to encourage him to sit through his panic attacks and stay in school because I cannot keep picking him up. He is taller than me and I can't physically make him go to school either. I asked about him changing class and told them all about this bully and they said they will look into it and will maybe address it again at the end of the week. Which just isn't good enough as my son is in pieces today. I have had 4 phone calls from school and text after text from my son begging me to bring him home. It's destroying me yet again:weep:

In desperation I called CAMHS and it wasn't the lady that assessed him thankfully, it was infact the therapist he might see and she was lovely. She said school are not supporting me and are doing wrong trying to persuade me to pick him up. She agreed the lady that assessed him initially was out of order and I should not have been left to cope with this for so long, she said 'it's no wonder you are feeling ill with stress, you can't be left every day dealing with this'. She is going to call school and explain to them what they must do to support me and my son and she is going to tell them they must move our son out of the tutor group with the bully and into the one with all his old school friends as right now he needs this. I just hope school listen.

I am in pieces. I can't go back to this daily stress. Over Christmas I relaxed, my vertigo went and I was much calmer. Now i feel ill again and I can't cope with this every single day again. I just want to see my son happy :weep: Seeing your child depressed, feeling suicidal, anxious, panic attacks and he comfort eats, then calls himself fat... it's soul destroying and as a family we are all struggling seeing him so distressed. I feel so sad. Why did this have to happen to my happy little boy :weep::weep: I am so scared at this rate he will end up agoraphobic. I don't know what to do every day until he can see CAMHS. I feel I have no support. I have 2 other children and I can't afford to be ill with stress again like I was before Christmas.

Sorry to post here, I didn't know where else to turn to :weep:

MyNameIsTerry
05-01-16, 12:35
Bon,

Something that sticks out for me here is how no one is tackling this bully. Moving your son might be helpful in tackling his health right now but as much as no parent wants to hear it, bullying will take place outside of class too if the bully is not dealt with. This bully is doing it electronically and this is something that can be proven and used in action against him. Such things can be dealt with by the police too.

I think a complaint about this bully needs to be dealt with in a formal way by the school or they just signal that he can get away with it and your son pays the price. The bully should be moved for a start, the person being bullied should not be singled out to the rest of the class as being punished for it but I can understand how the therapist just wants him out of there.

I'm glad you are getting some help and they've agreed they have treated his case inappropriately. It's truly disgusting how children seem to be treated even worse by the mental health services. Are none of them parents? I'm not and I can see how wrong it is.

The therapist will help him with the thoughts. This can be addressed and I understand these thoughts well as I've been through them. They will work on his reaction and educate him in how they are actually the opposite of his character. In one way this is good, given the pressure on him it would be very distressing if they had been actual cognitive thoughts given the things you sometimes hear about poor kids who have acted due to bullying. Take this as a good sign because it shows he fears doing anything to react that way.

I hope things start to improve for you. That teacher sounds great. It's such a shame how they just opt to make their lives easy and send him home. If you remember what school was like you will remember how sticking out can mean you get talked about so the more they can get this under control, the better for that reason too.

That bully's parents should be in for meetings about his behaviour. Maybe making them aware how this could escalate into external action could scare them? Sadly though some parents are just as bad.

MichaelUk809
05-01-16, 13:48
If you can get him to join a boxing or martial arts class that would boost his confidence extremely and solve alot of the problems.

Also if you type into youtube, how to meditate, Rohit Sharma, get him to do this every morning for 20 to 30 minutes, it will calm down his mind.

Pepperpot
05-01-16, 15:07
Hey,

I'm actually in tears reading your post, as I have a son who is 10, and although he isn't being bullied, he doesn't have many friends and I don't help much as my anxiety over him is so bad I don't really encourage him to pay out, and he likes to pay on Xbox with his online friends.
My son started his new school in September, and there was a boy (who was in his primary school) who was picking on him. I nipped it in the bed instantly with the school, but I was prepared to have to take it further as I had heard bad things about the school not dealing with bullying. My point is, I was going to take it to the county council. Surely there is somewhere higher than school you can take it? The bully is the problem. He needs excluded from the school. You need to take this higher than the school, or tell the school you will be taking this higher as you feel they are not dealing with the bullying (in writing).
I also agree with the above poster - my son (and daughter) have done karate for a couple of years, and they love it. It is in a town where we don't live, and they have made some fantastic friends (that aren't in the same school). And so have I.
xx

MyNameIsTerry
07-01-16, 08:45
If the Head is unwilling to do anything, can't it be raised to the board or governors or beyond into the local Education Authority?

Martial arts seems a great idea. He needs help with his confidence and this would do that and hopefully make him some good mates in the process.

Schools being poor at tackling bullying is something that was around when I was a kid but you would think in these modern times with the things that have happened, and now with cyberbullying, that they have written policies on how this should be tackled. I don't understand the reluctance in any school where you aren't paying them money, they don't need your business so exclusion is merely a matter of losing some time.

How is he, Bon?

ankietyjoe
07-01-16, 09:45
If the Head is unwilling to do anything, can't it be raised to the board or governors or beyond into the local Education Authority?

This is the way to go. Head teachers often don't want to respond to claims of bullying as it negatively effects the school standing. I learned this the hard way when my son was bullied. A friend of ours who is also a teacher backed this up.

Bonnibelle
10-01-16, 07:49
Thank you all so much. Sorry for my delay in replying. My son had an awful day Tuesday and Wednesday he was being violently sick with nerves about going which carried on so I had to keep him home for 2 days. By Friday he was willing to try school and I'd managed to get his class changed away from this boy who now issue not in any of his classes. School are aware and deal with this boy as soon as he starts, he doesn't just pick on my son he picks on many. He did I'm primary.

I'm hoping a class change will help him settle now at last. He came out happy on Friday which was lovely to see.

Camhs are useless..I called them Tuesday desperate and the lady was nice but said that on call therapist would call me for a chat and maybe call school to talk to them but she didn't call. I've rang 4 times and left messages and she's not once bothered to call me back. I am much better dealing with this myself but the stress it causes me isn't good. My son even said to me Friday 'mum if you hadn't taught me about mr anxiety and how he is like a faulty smoke alarm and told me how I have to face it to show him there's no fear in school having panic attacks I'd not have gone today' he thanked me and it made all my cbt I give him worth while. I teach him everything I know and I think at last it'd staring to help. It's just sad a mother had to give the cbt to her child because noone else helps.

Thanks again everyone.

pulisa
10-01-16, 08:42
Unfortunately it's best not to rely on CAMHS and you are probably the best person to help your son. I know it shouldn't be like this but it is. I'm sure you're really helping your son and using your knowledge and experience to help him cope is so important. Not everyone has a Mum who understands.

Bonnibelle
10-01-16, 09:21
Thank you.

I had to battle to get camhs to change their minds and the school and gp backed me up so camhs said ok we will give him therapy for his low mood, anxiety, panic attacks and scary thoughts he was having but they still thought I'd be best helping him. My gp was outraged and said it was awful they expected a mum to do their gp but he agreed they are pretty useless.

It's lucky I know cbt and know how to help him. It's made me realise just how much I know lol.

Unfortunately it's best not to rely on CAMHS and you are probably the best person to help your son. I know it shouldn't be like this but it is. I'm sure you're really helping your son and using your knowledge and experience to help him cope is so important. Not everyone has a Mum who understands.

pulisa
10-01-16, 09:36
I've done the same with my daughter. You have far more knowledge of him than CAMHS will ever have and will be able to achieve more success than a stranger-no matter how many qualifications he/she has.

If you find a decent therapist then this will complement your own work. You will feel better in yourself for helping your son. If things don't work out or get worse at least you will know that you did all you could and you will be very aware of how he is feeling so can alert CAMHS if you need to(give them a few months notice though...)

If it gets too much for you and your anxiety symptoms escalate again then your GP can push again for CAMHS involvement. Until then they will let you do the lion's share.

Bonnibelle
10-01-16, 09:54
[Thank you.

I agree. I known far more than they seem to know about anxiety and panic attacks. Its why she said i was the best person for the job but isnt it wrong they expect this of a parent. Imagine if i had no knowledge of anxiety or panic.

He's on a waiting list with camhs to see someone but I'm guessing it'll be a long wait. In the meantime I will keep doing what I am doing and hopefully my anxiety won't suffer too much. What flared it up in November was when my son told me he had suicidal thoughts and images. Dreadful shock.

Thanks

Bon
QUOTE=pulisa;1509029]I've done the same with my daughter. You have far more knowledge of him than CAMHS will ever have and will be able to achieve more success than a stranger-no matter how many qualifications he/she has.

If you find a decent therapist then this will complement your own work. You will feel better in yourself for helping your son. If things don't work out or get worse at least you will know that you did all you could and you will be very aware of how he is feeling so can alert CAMHS if you need to(give them a few months notice though...)

If it gets too much for you and your anxiety symptoms escalate again then your GP can push again for CAMHS involvement. Until then they will let you do the lion's share.[/QUOTE]

MyNameIsTerry
10-01-16, 11:25
I think out of a very negative situation something very good is going to come - you are going to have an even deeper relationship bond with your son. He will only feel stronger towards his mum for being able to help him with all this and I also think it will make him mature too making you even prouder of him.

Superworrier has a son who has seen his mum have panic attacks and be had learnt about them during growing up. She mentioned how when he recently went away to uni and came across a girl there who had one. He helped her deal with it. How many lads his age could or would have been able to do that? I think he showed great maturity for his age, as well as other fine qualities, and I can see your son being like that. What he said matches something Superworrier said her son said.

How was his Xmas? I'm hoping it was good because if his anxiety is more geared towards his school, at least he doesn't have that further battle.

It's great to hear he is enjoying his new class. A change like that could be scary so that speaks volumes to me.

CAMHS seem a pretty worthless public body to me. They have been criticised in a House of Commons report in late 2014 about delays in services and too much variation by area. Their attitude seems old fashioned. I'm glad you have a sensible & supportive GP though.

Not long ago you were questioning being a good mum and we all told you it was not the case. Remember? Now look at how your son has thanked you. Doesn't that show what a good mum you are?

pulisa
10-01-16, 11:47
[Thank you.

I agree. I known far more than they seem to know about anxiety and panic attacks. Its why she said i was the best person for the job but isnt it wrong they expect this of a parent. Imagine if i had no knowledge of anxiety or panic.

He's on a waiting list with camhs to see someone but I'm guessing it'll be a long wait. In the meantime I will keep doing what I am doing and hopefully my anxiety won't suffer too much. What flared it up in November was when my son told me he had suicidal thoughts and images. Dreadful shock.

Thanks

Bon
QUOTE=pulisa;1509029]I've done the same with my daughter. You have far more knowledge of him than CAMHS will ever have and will be able to achieve more success than a stranger-no matter how many qualifications he/she has.

If it gets too much for you and your anxiety symptoms escalate again then your GP can push again for CAMHS involvement. Until then they will let you do the lion's share.[/QUOTE]

It's great for CAMHS when they have a clued-up parent. One less to have to put on the "list". A psychiatrist at CAMHS once told my daughter she would never get better (she is autistic with severe anxiety/OCD) and I requested a "personal audience" with him and told him how disappointed I was in his standard of care. Just because they can't grasp complexities of conditions it doesn't mean they should have petulant outbursts. I see he now works privately at a fancy clinic...horrible George Michael lookalike:D
You really will feel better in yourself if you can help your son and it will take your mind off any bothersome physical anxiety symptoms

doodah
10-01-16, 18:14
I totally agree with all the above comments - what a great mum you are! :) Really hope things settle down soon for you and your son.