PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried the MediPen / CBD Oil?

wubu
05-01-16, 20:55
So it's basically cannabis without the THC and just potent pure CBD (legal in the UK). It has no mind altering effects, just the therapeutic effects like calmness and help with pain etc.

I ordered from medipen.co to see if it helps calm me when anxiety starts to pipe up.

Blinkyrocket
05-01-16, 21:06
It seems to be legit but there aren't much good studies about dosing and chronic effects versus acute effects but it is documented as having a good effect in the short term. I just wanna know if it works long term.

wubu
05-01-16, 21:19
That would be good to know. I'd prefer to vape CBD instead of popping beta blockers. I'll update this thread when I get it. Fingers crossed!

Blinkyrocket
05-01-16, 21:28
At least it's for sure anti-cancer, pot smokers have lower levels of lung cancer than non-smokers.

MyNameIsTerry
05-01-16, 22:32
The drugs companies are now testing it for certain forms of hard to treat epilepsy so there is certainly some possible benefit it there. It will be very interesting to see where it goes.

From reading about the difference in properties, cannabis has been given a bad rap since cultivation changed to increase the THC element. For CBD they basically do the opposite. It is a bit confusing with the hemp oil issues. And still very expensive!

It's about time the politicians stopped ducking the cannabis issue and this may be the way forward. The CBD is supposed to counter the THC isn't it? So, relaxing properties seem appropriate to us.

Blinkyrocket
05-01-16, 22:44
The drugs companies are now testing it for certain forms of hard to treat epilepsy so there is certainly some possible benefit it there. It will be very interesting to see where it goes.

From reading about the difference in properties, cannabis has been given a bad rap since cultivation changed to increase the THC element. For CBD they basically do the opposite. It is a bit confusing with the hemp oil issues. And still very expensive!

It's about time the politicians stopped ducking the cannabis issue and this may be the way forward. The CBD is supposed to counter the THC isn't it? So, relaxing properties seem appropriate to us.

Yeah, it's reported to attenuate the psychosis and paranoia and stereotypical stuff that you get with high THC strains.

wubu
05-01-16, 23:37
I watched a youtube review of a fibro sufferer and it had some good results for her. For me I am more interested to see if it has a calming effect. I will remain open minded until I try it but even if it takes the anxiety down to an acceptable level, especially in the morning, I'll think it's worth it.

I doubt it's gonna be a miracle but if it helps then it's money well spent.

wubu
11-01-16, 18:02
it should arrive tomorrow. also im pretty sure cbd has no interactions with sertraline, one thing i did thīnk of after my purchase!

Blinkyrocket
12-01-16, 06:18
Tomorrow as in today? :D or rather yesterday

MyNameIsTerry
12-01-16, 06:19
it should arrive tomorrow. also im pretty sure cbd has no interactions with sertraline, one thing i did thīnk of after my purchase!

Tricky. Cannabis certainly has a Moderate interaction but THC of CBD? CBD isn't on Drugs.com's database so it will be like some of the lesser known herbals and probably mean a bit of Googling to say what others say, which may bring in the crackpot websites too!

Blinkyrocket
12-01-16, 20:18
CBD apparently has little effect on the endogenous cannabinoid system, rather, it affects 5HT1-A receptors, but I can't remember in what way, there was a study where they administered 5HT1A agonists and antagonists to determine the effect but I can't remember the result. Stimulating that receptor shouldn't result in higher serotonin though so no serotonin syndrome from at least (I hope). Apparently it has anti-psychotic effects as well as anxiolytic effects, take that as you will, idk exactly what it means (besides possibly helping schizophrenia).

wubu
12-01-16, 20:46
well i googled tons and spoke to the company who make it it seems all should be ok, besides i asked around on "herbal" forums who smoke a lot of the stuff who also have done or do take sertraline and all seems ok there too.

i had a try tonight and i must say the sore aches and pains i get from an old abscess which flares up has gone totally. I got the "omg what if" which i get with anything the doc gives so i dont think its eased the anxiety as yet but aches and pains have gone. :yesyes:.

Blinkyrocket
12-01-16, 21:16
I know I get the "what if" when it comes to medication because I can't understand or wrap my mind around the concept that something I ingest can influence my behavior. That's why you're my guinea pig, heh, to make sure CBD oil doesn't have any mind controlling properties :P

I just bought some yesterday and it shipped already. I used to vape Whole Tobacco Alkaloids, it tasted and felt so good (the throat hit mostly, but yeah the dizziness and the giddiness was fun too) but than I started to get some serious health anxiety related to the accelerated norepinephrine turnover caused by nicotine so I stopped, probably didn't need to cuz my anxiety was actually caused by an impending ski trip to elevations of 8600 feet which I eventually wasn't able to go on. So it'll be cool to have something to vape again.

What's the problem with norepinephrine and anxiety? Too little re uptake or too much?

wubu
12-01-16, 22:06
Ok.... 100% behind its pain management. There is a sense of peacefulness, kinda like if you've ever taken codeine without any type of intoxication.

The test will be when i get much greater anxiety!

MyNameIsTerry
12-01-16, 22:47
CBD apparently has little effect on the endogenous cannabinoid system, rather, it affects 5HT1-A receptors, but I can't remember in what way, there was a study where they administered 5HT1A agonists and antagonists to determine the effect but I can't remember the result. Stimulating that receptor shouldn't result in higher serotonin though so no serotonin syndrome from at least (I hope). Apparently it has anti-psychotic effects as well as anxiolytic effects, take that as you will, idk exactly what it means (besides possibly helping schizophrenia).

There are other factors to look for such as liver enzyme interaction. If it inhibits the ones the med uses, it can slow down elimination rates.

Just another angle to check but to be honest, they still can't say for sure on things like grapefruit or piperine so it's all a bit of an unknown liver enzymes. It's complicated too as it can be the specific one or some that may interact.

Blinkyrocket
13-01-16, 00:12
[/COLOR]http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0024320511002645
These are the enzymes used to metabolize CBD, probably not what we need is it? Ok, yes it is, CBD is a competitive inhibitor of most of those enzymes that metabolize it. Mainly CYP3A4, the same one that grapefruit inhibits. It's probably not as strong of an effect though.

MyNameIsTerry
13-01-16, 06:27
I've only grabbed this from Wiki, there will be much more detailed stuff out there about this:

According to in vitro studies, sertraline is metabolized by multiple cytochrome 450 isoforms: CYP2D6, CYP2C9, CYP2B6, CYP2C19 and CYP3A4. It appeared unlikely that inhibition of any single isoform could cause clinically significant changes in sertraline pharmacokinetics.[2][98] No differences in sertraline pharmacokinetics were observed between people with high and low activity of CYP2D6;[99] however, poor CYP2C19 metabolizers had a 1.5-times-higher level of sertraline than normal metabolizers.[100] In vitro data also indicate that the inhibition of CYP2B6 should have even greater effect than the inhibition of CYP2C19, while the contribution of CYP2C9 and CYP3A4 to the metabolism of sertraline would be minor. These conclusions have not been verified in human studies

Compared to your link for the CBD, Blinky:

Seven of 14 recombinant human CYP enzymes examined (CYP1A1, CYP1A2, CYP2C9, CYP2C19, CYP2D6, CYP3A4, and CYP3A5) were capable of metabolizing CBD. The correlations between CYP isoform-specific activities and CBD oxidative activities in 16 individual HLMs indicated that 6β-OH- and 4″-OH-CBDs were mainly formed by CYP3A4, which was supported by inhibition studies using ketoconazole and an anti-CYP3A4 antibody. The correlation and inhibition studies also showed that CBD 6α-hydroxylation was mainly catalyzed by CYP3A4 and CYP2C19, whereas CBD 7-hydroxylation was predominantly catalyzed by CYP2C19.

---------- Post added at 06:27 ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 ----------

So yes there is an inhibition issue but the Wiki one for Sertraline makes a point that singular inhibition is not expected to be an issue. There are two matches with CBD. So, can dual inhibition affect it? Or will the other enzymes pick up the slack for the Sert?

I'm thinking that this statement might be saying the overlap between the two is with less important enzymes for the Sert:

In vitro data also indicate that the inhibition of CYP2B6 should have even greater effect than the inhibition of CYP2C19, while the contribution of CYP2C9 and CYP3A4 to the metabolism of sertraline would be minor.

What do you think, Blinky?

It can differ per med though. I have to check these myself for some of my supplement choices and I'm finding info on studies can be patchy and this one to compare Sert & CBD is better than the ones I was finding for my different med & supplements, so it's encouraging to see something better studied.

You wouldn't want to inhibit the Sert though, it will mean it will slow down the distribution and elimination cycle hence causing build ups. That's what I was reading about introducing piperine with something I was looking at alongside my med.

wubu
13-01-16, 09:07
Alot of the above is over my head, though very interesting. So am i right in thinking that CBD enzymes basically slow up Sert being metabolized which could lead to negative effects, ie. serotonin syndrome?

Blinkyrocket
13-01-16, 18:58
It depends on which enzymes that metabolize CBD are also inhibited by it, which is not all of them, the main one that was noted in an article I saw was CYP3A4 and didn't mention CYP2C19. So, the study I linked is useful for knowing the enzymes that COULD be inhibited by CBD but, not all of them are and idk for sure which ones are/aren't.

MyNameIsTerry
14-01-16, 05:16
The overlap is CYP2C19 & CYP3A4 as far as the Sert goes.

CYP2C9 & CYP2D6 are also capable of overlap IF the CBD chooses to use them. Sert probably already is.

The way I see it from the descriptions is that CBD prioritises 2 but can use another 2 and Sert uses all in it's description but one affected only has little impact. In this overlap we have a minimum of 2 and those 2 are less of an issue for Sert than 1 of those it's choices (CYP2B6) which CBD isn't referenced as trying to use. BUT, was CYP2B6 used that test?

It could be that Sert will just choose things based like a "load", so if one is busy, it tries the next? Although it has a priority e.g. CYP2B6 does more for it than some of the others.

This is why I find all this very tricky because without someone like Drugs.com saying yes or no, we are having to make calculated assumptions...and we aren't trained. But having said that, if you want an even blanker look on a human face, take it to your GP who will probably have similar insight to your postman :winks:

Blinkyrocket
14-01-16, 23:24
It's probably safest to assume that both enzymes are inhibited but the only way to actually find out, since there are no actual reported interactions, is to take it and find out in the end, if you're brave enough, Wubu... Heh.

Hipha
12-04-16, 12:55
Hello. Did you have any success with CBD for anxiety and physical symptoms ? Considering purchasing but don't want to waste my money on yet another supplement
Thank you

Blinkyrocket
15-04-16, 17:36
It's possible that CBD has a bell curve on the dosage, with both small and large doses actually increasing anxiety. CBD oil is a very small dose, and it seemed to increase my anxiety, but idk for sure what the cause was.

SB1
09-10-17, 15:03
Hello. Did you have any success with CBD for anxiety and physical symptoms ? Considering purchasing but don't want to waste my money on yet another supplement
Thank you

I have read that CBD is great for anxiety and also pain relief. From my research, I don't think it would be a wasted purchase, but then again everyone reacts differently. Do you guys know where to buy CBD oil or pills in the UK?

Thanks
Saff

MyNameIsTerry
09-10-17, 15:18
I have read that CBD is great for anxiety and also pain relief. From my research, I don't think it would be a wasted purchase, but then again everyone reacts differently. Do you guys know where to buy CBD oil or pills in the UK?

Thanks
Saff

It's fully legal in the UK so anywhere can sell it. Amazon sell it. But some reviewers are dubious over cheaper brands (possibly a reflection of less CBD oil in them? )

sandie
04-04-18, 07:16
I have been taking CBD since October. I do think it helps with anxiety and more than anything else, it will not do any harm.

I am on 40 mg of Amitryptiline - so this is a very small dose, and don't believe there has been any noticeable interaction - certainly this has not been the case for me.

I did a HUGE amount of research online about CBD and medicinal cannabis before I ordered the product. There is so much online, and while there are one or two scientific studies, there is also a vast amount of anecdotal evidence online about the efficacy of medicinal cannabis / CBD. In fact medicinal cannabis is included in two drugs licensed in the UK - one of which has been proven to be beneficial to MS sufferers (Sativex). It was available on the NHS, but a short while ago was removed and is now only available on a private prescription.

I order my CBD from a company in Suffolk, UK https://cbdbrothers.com/

It took me a very long time and a great deal of research to find what I believe is a reputable supplier.

ADJ88
12-04-18, 14:00
CBD Brothers :yesyes:

Definitely the best supplier for CBD oil in the UK. They dont have any products for vaping last time I checked though. I take a squirt under the tongue each morning to help with my anxiety.