PDA

View Full Version : Regretting social media post

Peterthegreatworrier
06-01-16, 10:10
Hi there :)
Tonight I posted a comment to my (actual) friend on Kik that I now realise could possibly be interpreted as a threat to another person. If one read the whole thing the context would make it quite clear that this was not the case (I was referencing a character in a meme -which I included- who I said I would do something to. Unfortunately, this character has quite a common name, so I'm really worried that my friend (who is quite impulsive) will screenshot an image of the comment without the context and send it to who knows who?!

I am REALLY angry at myself right now. I am usually sensible about social media, and I know that this was one really stupid decision. I can't delete the post or make sure that my friend does the same. I'm panicking over possible social or legal ramifications about this, and I can't get it out of my mind. I just really need to calm down and try to forget about it! Any suggestions or reassurances are welcome.
Best regards, Peterthegreatworrier

Chocolateface
06-01-16, 20:00
Hi

If you can't delete it can you post a further explanation for it to put your mind at rest, then if anyone says anything you have already got in an apology for it. Keep your own copy of the whole thread so you have the actual context of what was said and how it could be interpreted.

I am not sure about the legal ramifications but I would have thought that you actually need to specifically state in your post that you are talking about specific person rather than a character.

The great thing about social media is that it moves quick so will probably be forgotten about in no time.

Clare

Peterthegreatworrier
06-01-16, 21:30
Thanks very much Clare!
Yeah, I've thought through all possible subsequint events logically and I'm quite sure that there won't be a problem.
Regards, Peterthegreatworrier

MyNameIsTerry
07-01-16, 05:39
Peter,

In terms of the law, you have the full version anyway so if someone chopped it down into something that could be seen as something worse, the police would see what you actually said and give them a rollicking for doing that and wasting their time.

If a friend deliberately cuts it up to make you look bad for some reason, that's something to sort out with that friend as it's not a nice thing to do given the abuse people can get on social media. On that note, if they did I think some comments would be made fairly quickly if people found it to be inappropriate. You could always contact the administrator and they will take down inappropriate posts.

uru
07-01-16, 08:05
Why would your friend do that if he's your friend?