PDA

View Full Version : Regular or occasional use?

Doze
06-01-16, 18:24
I was giving some propranolol by my GP to help deal with an acute anxiety episode.

I thought I could take then as needed, am I wrong in this? Should I be taking them regularly?

Thing is I took 10mg this morning and thought that would maybe do for the day, then I suddenly had a rush of anxiety in the evening. Could that have been from it wearing off?

Danath
06-01-16, 19:12
10mg is a minimal dose, and unless they're extended release which I don't think come in 10mg then it will have worn off. you can take propranolol regularly you don't get addicted or build a tolerance to it.

tommackent88
10-01-16, 17:11
I take propranolol quite erratically. For example I take it most mornings, but only occasionally in afternoon and evening. However I rarely use it a at weekends when I'm more relaxed.

I've not found it doesn't give me any side effects and I don't think I have become tolerant.

Overall I think it's good. The kind of thing you could keep in your wallet just in case.

Hope that helps

sandie
12-01-16, 08:27
Doze - interesting that we are now meeting on a Propanalol thread.

My GP has prescribed 40mg three times daily. It is still considered a relatively low dose, but these particular tablets have a very short half life; they can take up to 2 hours to begin to work and usually only last 6 hours so you did very well on 10 mg.

I can't see a problem with you taking a second 10 mg tablet when you are having an anxiety attack but obviously it is best to discuss this with your GP, and get his agreement as to how many hours need to have passed during doses.

I had high hopes of the Propanalol when prescribed them yesterday, but despite taking one before bedtime, I had a very bad night with lots of adrenaline surges and was awoken by at least 3 anxiety attacks.

Has anybody else found that Propanalol disturbs their sleep if taken too close to bedtime ?

MrsCav
19-01-16, 17:21
I'm another who takes it sporadically. When I'm feeling a bit edgy I take it, I only have 40mg but I split them into 4 pieces and take it over the day. But when I'm more relaxed I come off. I have TMD (Jaw clenching) and it helps to relieve the jaw clenching, but I only get that when I'm stressed.