PDA

View Full Version : panicking allday

tricia56
06-01-16, 21:27
I know this might sound silly but some of you might know i have a big fear of taking any kind of medication but i have a waterinfection and my gp gave me trimethoprim atibiotics to take i was so anxiouse and scared to take them but i took the first one at 11 am this morning andas soon as i took it my anxienty went thro the roof and sat most of the day waiting for a anaphylaxis shock to happen and im due to take another one aft 11pm tonight but imgetting scared to take it incase it happenes then,also i keep thinking am i getting all the side effectsthat you might get , any advice please .

MyNameIsTerry
07-01-16, 05:32
Hi Tricia,

It's your medication fear here. Other than a serious allergic reaction, which would mean hospital so you haven't experienced this (plus it's very very unlikely in a commonly prescribed med), it takes time for your body to break the med down and get it into your bloodstream so the rather immediate anxiety is about your actual fear itself.

Please continue to take them. You need them to treat the infection and taking these meds is actually a step closer to tackling other medication fears. You may keep getting anxiety but it may also decrease as you start to accept it can't hurt you. For some this can take longer so try to grit your teeth and bare it. AND on that note, you took a medication despite how worried I bet you were about it so...WELL DONE!!! :yesyes::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

debs71
07-01-16, 14:01
I agree 100% with Terry's excellent post.

This is a classic example of how worry over something MAKES it appear to happen. Nothing more, nothing less. The anxiety has made you think you will have an allergic reaction, so the anticipation makes you look for specific side-effects, and believe you see them, but in reality, this is not the case.

It is anxiety talking and driving your fears.

Assuming you are physically fine now, then there is no reason to fear taking your next dose. Urine infections are HORRIBLE and Trimethoprim is an excellent treatment for it, so please do continue with them. You will be perfectly fine.

Get well soon.xx:hugs:

tricia56
07-01-16, 16:48
Thk you terry and debs
im carrying on with meds as ivr only got 3 to go as it was a 3day course im hoping the ifection will go then, butmy anxierty is still quite high tho and itsnot helping because all day to day ive been feeling shakey especialy my legs especialy when im standing up and thats worring me asi dont know if anxiety the pills or the water infection and i dont want to keep going up to mygp as ive already been up there twice tbis week so ive been googling allday to wat it can be ,big mistake as i know thatstheworsedthi g i should do.

pulisa
07-01-16, 17:12
If you don't take the full course you could end up with the infection travelling further up which would be far worse than your anxiety symptoms, Tricia. Trimethoprim is an excellent antibiotic and one which my then baby son took for many years as he was born with only 1 kidney which was defective.
My guinea pig is currently taking it too for a urinary tract infection and he is fine.
I think you need to be brave, stop googling and take your meds. It's only a very short course and could be very good therapy for you for future potential meds?

tricia56
07-01-16, 18:19
Thks pulisa im going to finush the course as iknow itcould go to my kidneys as my daughter was in hosplital last yr just hope mine dont go to my kidneys.

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

Thks pulisa im going to finush the course as iknow itcould go to my kidneys as my daughter was in hosplital last yr just hope mine dont go to my kidneys.

pulisa
07-01-16, 18:40
I didn't want to spell it out and alarm you but yes, a kidney infection isn't fun. Good luck Tricia and get well soon x

MyNameIsTerry
09-01-16, 06:13
Well infections aren't much fun and certainly not those ones! Worse for women too. I just remember Tom Hanks in The Green Mile :ohmy: Thank god for antibiotics.

It could be a bit of both with your legs but the anxiety over the infection, everything else and this major fear of meds is going to be taking it's toll. Try to rest up and finish the course and things will be better.

tricia56
10-01-16, 21:46
Hi all i finished the course of antibiotics on fri but i dont know if it was the pills or not but ever since ive been taking them i have been feelling so really anxiouse and friday morning i woke up and all of a sudden i started feel abit funny and both my arms went really weak and my legs were really shakey it frightened the life out of me and ever since then my arms keep going weak and getting a pain in my right arm , i just havent felt right ever since i started the pills so i dont know weather its anxiety thatis causeing all of this or it was the pills.

MyNameIsTerry
11-01-16, 08:32
How are you feeling now, Tricia?

Some antibiotics do have links to anxiety, I suspect pulisa will know and considering they gave this to her baby son, I wouldn't expect it to be one of the more harsh ones in terms of side effects (I hope!) but I've never taken this one myself.

Antibiotics do kill off the healthy bacteria in our bodies and this has links to mood change and anxiety but this tends to be more with strong ones or longer courses which doesn't sound like you.

It could be the anxiety itself and how it likes to twist things. Plus you have been getting over an infection and this will have put strain on your immune system so you may feel a bit week or down because of that. A suppressed immune system can feel like a touch of the flu and is common when you have been working very hard for too long, something me & my big brother have experienced a far few times in the past (before my anxiety and he has never had any mental health issues).

pulisa
11-01-16, 08:44
It won't be the trimethoprim, Tricia. Sounds more like the anxiety symptoms you suffer from.

How is your bladder infection? Hope the antibiotics have worked?

tricia56
11-01-16, 10:51
Think you both are right is it probly just the anxiety, pulisa i think the water infection is gone i hope still geting a little few twiinges my doc did say to go the surgery and have another water test done after i finished the course to see if has cleared up as she didnt send tnhe last water sample to the lab so if anything shows up on the one i do today she will send itto the lab for culture wat ever that means but im really hoping this one shows up nothing.

debs71
11-01-16, 11:03
Could it be a hangover of the anxiety you felt from taking the meds initially, Tricia?

I know that when I have a stressy time my anxiety lingers for a while before I start to feel better again.

As far as the urine infection goes, symptoms can linger on for a while, even after you finish the course, but also sometimes a 2nd course of antibiotics are needed for stubborn infection. I have sadly had more than one UTI myself, and they can be a bit of a sod sometimes to knock on the head completely. xxx:hugs:

pulisa
11-01-16, 14:22
My guinea pig is half way through his 2nd course of antibiotics (trimethoprim)!:D These infections can be really stubborn. I'd pay more attention to your physical symptoms rather than to your anxiety ones, Tricia. 3 days of antibiotics is quite a short course but maybe the tablets were extra strong?

MyNameIsTerry
12-01-16, 06:10
My guinea pig is half way through his 2nd course of antibiotics (trimethoprim)!:D These infections can be really stubborn. I'd pay more attention to your physical symptoms rather than to your anxiety ones, Tricia. 3 days of antibiotics is quite a short course but maybe the tablets were extra strong?

So, your proud male will be getting his tackle back to 100% ready for the mating season then? :blush::D

pulisa
12-01-16, 08:20
No way! I'm fiercely opposed to breeding just for the sake of it! My boy is a true gentleman anyway and has impeccable manners!:D