PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Spaced Out with No Emotional Response to the World

Mirageme
08-01-16, 03:23
Hello Everyone,

This is not easy for me to put into words, because it's hard to describe, but I often feel like I'm just staring out into the world, understanding the feelings of other people, their emotions, fully processing what is going to around me on a logical level i suppose, but finding it very hard to actually have any kind of response to it. If that made any sense.

It's like I'm looking at the world as if one would a movie, not participating in it much, i mean, i can tell people what i want and interact with them on a level of "fulfilment of needs" level, but not in a way that i can reciprocate their emotions (it feels sterile to people). So basically, i understand what they are feeling and i guess i technically know why they have emotions when they have them (i am able to emphasize), but not able to feel the same way in those same situations because i dont feel that way myself when those situations happen to me. For example, people can be making a joke and laughing about it right away and while i find it funny, i just dont have that same easy going quick response to it where i would just laugh and have a relaxed happy emotion about it. Typically i would cognitively process the joke maybe chuckle or something but overall have no outward response.

I'm not a cold or heartless person, i really like the idea of charity and giving to other people, kindness in the world, unity among all people and love. It's just that somehow the fact that i know that something is pleasant and should feel pleasant does not connect with my emotional state and actually feel that way. Most things actually feel like anxiety. I dont like labeling things because it immediately tends to become black or white, but my inner daily feeling is tension in the body, shallow breathing, and sensations of fear. I also tend to think and analyze a lot around this subject and why emotional responses just dont happen to me naturally and why i have such a hard time being with people.

Being around people always tends to get akward and irritating. People have told me before that i come off as being serious, so most of the time they communicate with me in a serious way back. But even if they do laugh or are light hearted, it still does not draw out any kind of matching response out of me. Or so i feel. I mostly just kind of smile back at them or look in a different direction and it makes me anxious, the awkwardness of it all. I feel i should technically be genuinely laughing back or keeping up with the conversation, but mostly I have little interest in small talk or if i do small talk, it comes off "too seriously".

So to sum up, i feel that my biggest issue is that i mentally recognize and know when something should feel a certain way and should elicit an emotional response out of me, but ends up feeling dull and anxious like instead. A lot of times i also end up staring into space. Not lost in thought either, just mentally exhausted.

If anyone feels the same way, or has any advice at all, I would love to hear from you. I really need advice and help on this.

Thank you !!! :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Blinkyrocket
08-01-16, 03:30
I've felt like this too before but I think it was because I was so tense all the time and couldn't find anything comforting, rewarding, or funny in the conventional way because I was always so miserable in my body because every part of it hurt with muscle tension. So, idk how much that relates because I think my lack of emotionality was due to the tension itself. I watched a tv show about how your face can betray your words and tell the truth when your words are telling a lie. For example, when I would laugh or chuckle in this state of tense misery, I could feel my face contort into an uncomfortable and awkward attempt at a smile that just didn't feel good or whole. I imagine if you were to take a picture of that smile and highlight certain features of my expression, you would expose the true emotion that my face was expressing which was misery. The show is called Lie to Me.

So, if this relates to you, it's possible that a big help would come from releasing the tension but obviously it's also an emotional issue than I can't really help you there. Most likely, releasing the tension is just a band aid compared to finding out the real problem.

Mirageme
08-01-16, 03:43
Thanks for the reply! Yea, i agree withh what you're saying. Unfortunately, the most relaxed ive felt has been drinking alcohol or when ive been prescribed painkillers. But i stay away from both of those and definetly wouldn't consume on a regular basis. So what made you be able to not feel this way anymore, did you change somethig? Since you said you used to feel this way?

Blinkyrocket
08-01-16, 21:31
I made an effort to relax my breathing pattern, because for me the muscle tension was caused by having this constant feeling of air hunger so I did the opposite of what I was trying to do (get more air) and relaxed my neck, upper back and chest and tried to keep breathing slower and less, it sucked in the short run but eventually my breathing pattern took on a slow rhythmic motion of just my diaphragm without tensing up my neck and upper back/shoulders or my chest. Once again, this could be a very individual condition, your tension might not be caused by your breathing pattern. So, looking up any muscle relaxation technique online is what you should do, alcohol and painkillers and benzodiazepines are muscle relaxants, it's part of what they do so if you can relax your own muscles on a whim as a force of habit it can help a lot.