PDA

View Full Version : CBT4PANIC Therapy v Others

philn
08-01-16, 10:09
Hello:) Thanks for reading this.
There are some excellent reviews of the CBT4PANIC course but some are quite old from when it was free. Is it still a good course or does it depend what you need it for and the severity of the symptoms?
I have seen some average reviews of the NHS Fear Fighter programme as well which is free through GP or £97. There is also a mentoring programme through a charity which gives telephone support with a volunteer therapist for an hour a week for six weeks. I was just trying too find the best one for me.
If anyone has any views or comments then I'd be really really grateful.
Many thanks:)

winter-blues
11-02-16, 23:48
What is CBT4PANIC? I've been looking for someone who can help me with my Panic Attacks and I've been told CBT has a good success rate.

Fishmanpa
12-02-16, 00:23
CBT4PANIC used to be offered here for free. I downloaded it and used it in conjunction with one on one therapy for some depression and "scanxiety" from my illness. My therapist was all for it. While all the aspects didn't apply to me, many did and I still use those techniques daily. Many apply not on;y to anxiety but to everyday stressful situations. It was good for me.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
12-02-16, 04:43
What is CBT4PANIC? I've been looking for someone who can help me with my Panic Attacks and I've been told CBT has a good success rate.

Have a read about it here:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=171820

I haven't used it but I had read his site and it's more like the level of detail you will get from a book. CBT is tailored but the problem is, it's so short these days that it can be a watered down version but this programme doesn't appear to do that as it includes the Cognitive Restructuring element which is a major part of CBT, but is sadly missed from IAPT's CBT from what a fair amount of us on here have experienced.

It doesn't cost much but there are free ones out there too. Panic Center is free (with a support forum) and I think Beating The Blues is free.

According to NICE (and the NHS) evidence is accepted that remote CBT is as effective as face-to-face via this medium BUT ONLY as long as there is a remote support person with the course otherwise there is no evidence of success. I think CBT4PANIC is supported (it will say) and Panic Center is. FearFighter is and I would imagine Beating The Blues is too since both these are recommended by NICE.

On a separate note, I noticed on another thread that you have issues with eating. Within CBT4PANIC there is a Mindfulness module, but I expect it will be basic without being a full course. Mindfulness isn't just about meditation, it offers different forms of exercise to try and one of them is Mindful Eating. Perhaps that might be worth looking into? Have a scan at the thread in my signature for free resources, there should be some of that in that (the Mark Williams one does have it in his book). Mindfulness has even been combined with CBT to create MBCT which is NICE recommended for recurrent depression so it's gaining support and GP's are sending people on here on short courses as well in normal Mindfulness practice.

---------- Post added at 04:43 ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 ----------

Hello:) Thanks for reading this.
There are some excellent reviews of the CBT4PANIC course but some are quite old from when it was free. Is it still a good course or does it depend what you need it for and the severity of the symptoms?
I have seen some average reviews of the NHS Fear Fighter programme as well which is free through GP or £97. There is also a mentoring programme through a charity which gives telephone support with a volunteer therapist for an hour a week for six weeks. I was just trying too find the best one for me.
If anyone has any views or comments then I'd be really really grateful.
Many thanks:)

I think it looks a good course. Just make sure the remote support is there otherwise it's not evidenced according to NICE (I seem to recall it is though).

The reviews were a red flag to me. When I'm looking for reviews I expect them to not only come from one place. Dubious online "gurus" are famous for this and the closeness to NMP is a concern to be as a consumer. BUT the authors do have their main practice website for their Belfast practice and this should give you some more confidence in the ability of them and their credentials.