PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my head

Matto
09-01-16, 02:45
Hi guys,

In the summer I had very bad hypochondria, believing I had developed ALS. Eventually it passed with some rest and counselling, and I went back to my usual habits.

In October I was on my computer when suddenly I found myself unable to understand the words onscreen. I ran into my brothers room and promptly collapsed (I probably fainted, though Liam said I was shaking so I'm scared it may has been a seizure). The hospital found nothing outwardly wrong and after a few tests I was in my bed at home very dazed and confused.

In November I noticed I was spacing out a lot - mostly just pausing while my eye unfocused. These worried me briefly but I chalked it down to college stress and ignored it.

Over Christmas break it has gotten worse however.p:

The main frightening thing is my general 'spaced out' feeling. It's almost impossible to describe but it feels as though my body is losing sensation, like in my limbs. It feels like I'm walking round on a sort of autopilot - none of my motor skills are impaired or anything, I just feel very displaced in terms of mind frame and physical feeling.
I've developed some kind of severe sleeping problem as a result, with my mind effectively refusing to sleep in case I die or something slightly less worse. It's at a point where my eyes are sleepy but my brain is not - a clash which leads to constant fights to stay awake.
My ears are mostly fine, although I'm aware of very slight hearing loss and also what feels like fluid of some sorts flowing into them from time to time.
I have had no headaches, aside from quick sharp pains all over my head, although particularly in the left side on the back of my head.

For references sake I'm 17 at the moment. Not ill often.

As I type this I'm exhausted. I don't want it to be something serious, but at the same time I'm struggling to comprehend how anxiety, which I've had for a long time, would change me so heavily. Any words of advice? If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

FamilyMan
09-01-16, 23:40
Hello Matto.

When I get a bad panic attack, I find that I cannot see like normal. Two things seem to happen:

1) I can see all the words on a page but can't read a sentence.
2) I get a sort of strobing effect on my vision where it seems to flicker very quickly, many times per second.

I put the first of these down to the awareness that the panic attack brings. I think vigilance is the proper term for this. My eyes/brain are taking in much more of the page than they normally would and I am unable to focus on the words to be read. It subsides when the panic is over.

I also shake when I panic. My arms and legs have been shaking for hours during an attack. Again, it subsides eventually.

What helped me most initially was a trip to the doctor where he officially diagnosed anxiety. It was good to know it was nothing more serious. Maybe a visit to the doc would help you?

Matto
09-01-16, 23:42
Hello Matto.

When I get a bad panic attack, I find that I cannot see like normal. Two things seem to happen:

1) I can see all the words on a page but can't read a sentence.
2) I get a sort of strobing effect on my vision where it seems to flicker very quickly, many times per second.

I put the first of these down to the awareness that the panic attack brings. I think vigilance is the proper term for this. My eyes/brain are taking in much more of the page than they normally would and I am unable to focus on the words to be read. It subsides when the panic is over.

I also shake when I panic. My arms and legs have been shaking for hours during an attack. Again, it subsides eventually.

What helped me most initially was a trip to the doctor where he officially diagnosed anxiety. It was good to know it was nothing more serious. Maybe a visit to the doc would help you?

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to ask my counsellor about it on Wednesday, and if it doesn't clear up then I'll go the doctors.

Weirdly I've noticed I feel far more normal at night. Could it be an unusual tiredness?