PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam

sophiecarroll1984
09-01-16, 11:23
Just wondered what everyone thought of this. Just taken one for the first time and a bit apprehensive.

Magic
09-01-16, 13:20
They are ok in my opinion. They are addictive. Some GPs will not hand them out willy nilly. I think they help anyone with bad anxiety. I hope you are ok with them

sophiecarroll1984
09-01-16, 14:51
Hi magic

Thanks for your reply. I think it did help but seems to have worn offquite quicjly and now in a state again. Clearly I am beyond help ��

swgrl09
09-01-16, 18:59
What does are you on? I have 2 mg tabs, which is the smallest dose possible. I just take them here and there when I have insomnia. I probably take it 1x per week at most. It really doesn't do a LOT, especially at 2 mg. It just helps quiet my mind enough to sleep.

unfitwellhappy
10-01-16, 15:35
They are brutally addictive and withdrawals are extremely long lasting (we're talking years)...

Saying that though, it's unlikely you will go anywhere near an addiction level if you are using 1 x 2mg per week...

They can be a lifesaver, but please be careful with them!!

the_anxious_mind
16-01-16, 13:57
For me they did not last very long but when I do take it they make things more tolerable. I agree that they can be very addicting but at that dose you shouldn't have trouble.

sandie
16-01-16, 17:57
Sophie - what dosage tablet has your GP given you ?

2mg are the lowest GPs usually prescribe and they are not hugely powerful so won't knock you out - the most they are likely to do is to quieten you if you are very agitated or very anxious.

However, if you begin to take them too often then your body becomes used to them and they become less efficient; consequently, your body needs a stronger strength and again, if you take them stronger tablets too often then the body becomes used to them again.

As you can see, it can become a cycle which is then very difficult to break and for this reason (and because withdrawal from diazepam dependency is often VERY difficult), GPs are generally reluctant to prescribe them.

lindadiana
16-01-16, 19:57
I was put on diazepam,or valium as it was reffered to then,its the same thing,in 1979 when I was 19,i was on them for 11 years I was on 5mg in those days,they would give me a hundred at a time in a bottle(they are highly addictive)but gps didn't know how much so back then,or they just didn't tell you,i got off them a few weeks before my 30th birthday,it took me a year by breaking off small pieces off each tablet at a time,that way you do not feel the withdrawel,i went back on them in 1997,this time 2mg and have been on them ever since,most weeks I run out a day before they are due,so just take kalms on that day,i couldn't get by without them now I don't think.but I was on them 11 years and managed it without much hassle,i think it depends how your life is at the time,when I got off them before I was in a good place,life was ok,now im not in a good place and life is very hard and depressing,but I wouldn't worry about taking odd ones,from what ive read on hundreds of posts on here compared to other medications they seem less side effects on first taking them,but then they are tranquilsers not anti depressants