PDA

View Full Version : fear of quiet rooms

Mishaaa
09-01-16, 12:27
hey guys, this is really embarrassing and probably is really stupid. but i would like some views.

the thing is, i get really really really anxious during exams, and because of this i get bloated and gassy, add in the fact that the exam room is deathly silent i get panic attacks. normally, they're not that bad, but one time about 4 years ago during finals, it was so painful that i had to walk out of the room. and whilst i was walking,there was some flatulence though i tried to hold it in. it wasn't that loud, but in the deathly quiet room, people heard it. needless to say, i nearly died. :weep:
ever since then, i've been so afraid of quiet rooms/lectures/exams that i have attacks if i'm in that situation. i don't have IBS, but i think it's just the stress and the fear of it happening again that panics me. lately, it's sort of developed into a wider scope, to fear of happening during work, during yoga (especially during yoga, it's so quiet), or public toilets. basically anywhere quiet. i'm not sure what to do. :shrug: i generally try to calm down, as if i panic, chances of it happening are higher.

does anyone have any tips on calming or anything? i try to avoid quiet places at all costs, but lately i've been needing to be in quiet situations more due to uni etc and it really stresses me out. i end up getting stomach cramps etc. thank you!

wavey
12-01-16, 00:23
I can sympathise with this. I have colitis and there are times, during a flare up, that it makes lots of loud noises. I found that changing when I eat and what I eat can help. Keeping a food diary also helped me spot potential culprits.

But it's the fear of other people hearing you that you're really worried about, not quiet rooms - I predict when no one else is in the quiet room, you don't become anxious.

MyNameIsTerry
12-01-16, 04:58
Wavey, from what you say about it being more a fear of losing that control, could this be seen like the people who struggle to use toilets when people are near them?

The reason I ask is that there are some long threads about that on the Phobias board and I'm wondering if it might help Mishaaa? I can understand how it can be even more embarrassing for many women too as it's not quite as bad for us blokes in that people often think we walk around doing it anyway, although some men also struggle with it, it's one of the old gender stereotypes that way.

Mishaaa
27-02-16, 07:51
I can sympathise with this. I have colitis and there are times, during a flare up, that it makes lots of loud noises. I found that changing when I eat and what I eat can help. Keeping a food diary also helped me spot potential culprits.

But it's the fear of other people hearing you that you're really worried about, not quiet rooms - I predict when no one else is in the quiet room, you don't become anxious.

Sorry for the late reply. You are absolutely correct. When I'm at home, no panic attacks. Out with friends and family in noisy environments, or even just in a cafe, no problems at all. But stick me in a dead silent classroom or exam room, I get so anxious; my stomach can cramp, I get gassy, I start sweating and hello panic attack!

ALso you are right once again, if I'm alone, no sweat really. Nothing happens. Even a few people is okay. But in a mass exam hall, I really can't deal with it. Which really sucks because I just started a degree and I'm dreading the exams.

My GP said try Buscopan to ease cramping which should help the gas, it's helped before but I've only tried it during small exam rooms, not many people at all so the pressure wasn't too big. I'm not sure about bigger ones. How do you deal with it? Any help would be appreciated!

---------- Post added at 07:51 ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 ----------

Wavey, from what you say about it being more a fear of losing that control, could this be seen like the people who struggle to use toilets when people are near them?

The reason I ask is that there are some long threads about that on the Phobias board and I'm wondering if it might help Mishaaa? I can understand how it can be even more embarrassing for many women too as it's not quite as bad for us blokes in that people often think we walk around doing it anyway, although some men also struggle with it, it's one of the old gender stereotypes that way.

Thank you for your reply! I just popped over to the phobia forum and I think I'll ask for help there, too. Thanks for the tip!