PDA

View Full Version : New UK Alcohol guidelines and Health Anxiety

snowflake293
09-01-16, 17:50
Hi all

It's been in the news this week about alcohol and how apparently there is no 'safe' amount to drink.

I was doing much better with my HA but all this stuff in the news has triggered me.

I drink too much anyway. I have gained over a stone in weight over the last year and I am certain it is down to the booze.

I drink a bottle of wine to myself about 3 times a week and probably have a few STRONG G&Ts or port and lemonades, whiskeys etc on the other days. I try to have at least 2 days off where I dont drink at all.

Anyway the guidelines are scaring me cause my Mom had breast cancer and that is one of the cancers they are saying is related to alcohol consumption.

I feel at a really low ebb tonight. I feel disgusted with myself for gaining all this weight. I had a bottle of wine last night and about 4 whiskeys and I didn't even have a hangover this morning which concerns me. All day I have been telling myself 'no more' yet I have just poured myself a huge port and lemon:doh:

How much does everyone else drink? Do you find the stuff in the news is triggering?

I know I am stupid for drinking so much. I am on Sertraline too and the advice is not to drink too much on that.

Aaaarrrggghhh.

Can anyone help?

xx

Traceypo
09-01-16, 18:29
Hi hun,
I too drink above recommended guidelines, I drink between two and three small glasses of wine per evening, no alcohol free nights. It's a vicious cycle as whilst we're drinking my anxiety is reduced, but the more I drink, the worse I sleep and the worse I feel the next day.
I was once a bottle of wine a night girl too, I cut this down by giving myself a start time, I now don't drink before 8:30pm, I go to bed at 10:30 so I don't have a lot of time to drink too much.
My fear is if I don't drink, I won't sleep, I'll work myself up into a state of anxiety. I know I'm not dependent physically as spent three nights in hospital and it didn't bother me one bit, I felt safe having trained staff there.
I'm working on cutting down with CBT but it is difficult, some nights by 8:30 I can't wait to get a glass, other nights it gets to 9 before I even remember. Usually it's dependent on my day.
Xxx

snowflake293
09-01-16, 18:49
Thanks for your reply hun xx

I just feel so rubbish about it all. I just love the warm, cosy feeling booze gives me. I am so scared that I am damaging my body - I know I need to cut down, but it is sos hard. If I don't drink I feel like I am going without.

Thats a good strategy about not drinking before 8:30 - I like that.

With me it isnt a fear of how I feel if I dont drink, but if I dont drink I feel sort of bored or like I am missing out. When I am drunk I am much more laid back. I love the buzz I get off it, makes me forget everything else going on.

Can totally relate to the vicious cycle thing. I wish I could quit altogether. My best friend is alcoholic and has gone cold turkey tee total and has done a month now. I am so proud of her! I am not an alcoholic but I def think I have tendancies.

xx

Traceypo
09-01-16, 19:05
I find if I make rules for myself I tend to stick to them. My stepdaughter mum died of alcoholism so I'm very aware of what alcohol can do (she drank excessively to the point where there was no day and night, she would drink until passed out, wake up and start again). Needless to say we've had full care of my stepdaughter for many years.
I don't like being drunk, but I love that relaxed feeling that alcohol gives me. It's the only time of the day I'm not on full alert.
Xxx

Fishmanpa
09-01-16, 20:39
Just read the article... interesting. Makes some sense too, especially drinking at home and in all likelihood consuming more than you think. As one that abused the recommended limits of alcohol for many years and now, for all intents and purposes alcohol free, I can say that while I miss tossing a few back on a regular basis, I feel much better without. Besides, with the meds I take for my heart, I cannot have but a few per month and that's "one" with a meal occasionally as per my doctor. So I save those times for special occasions. I do so enjoy a good beer with a meal once in a while :)

I drink too much anyway....

I drink a bottle of wine to myself about 3 times a week and probably have a few STRONG G&Ts or port and lemonades, whiskeys etc on the other days. I try to have at least 2 days off where I dont drink at all.

With respect, that's more than moderate intake and the interaction of your meds states:

sertraline ↔ Alcohol (Ethanol)
Moderate Drug Interaction

Using sertraline together with ethanol can increase nervous system side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with sertraline. Do not use more than the recommended dose of sertraline, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medication without first talking to your doctor.

IMO, "limit" would be less than drinking 5 days a week in the amounts you say you do.

Do what you want but..... it's your life and health.

Positive thoughts

debs71
09-01-16, 21:13
I don't drink.....well, I have one or two glasses of white wine when I am away or a martini and lemonade, but that is it. I never drink at home at all, as I don't really enjoy the taste of booze, and I am very grateful for that, as I think with my depression and GAD issues, I would probably be hooked up to a booze IV!!

I'd rather have a cup of tea or a coke, to be honest.

The trouble with alcohol is that it does offer that comfort feeling and enable a chill-out, but in actual fact it is a depressant, so any good feeling is inevitably short-lived.

It must be so hard if you do enjoy a drink though, and I fully appreciate how it can be a feel good thing. Cutting down on anything enjoyable is hard enough without anxiety, etc. but when it is a pleasure in life when battling mental health stuff, it is even tougher to do......but it CAN be done with a bit of willpower and determination and by finding something else you enjoy to replace it with (something better for you though!)

xxx :hugs:

Sam Winter
09-01-16, 23:19
i too found the news stuff triggering,
i don't drink myself(had a couple of snowballs over christmas but thats it) the thing i am worrying about is my dad as he drinks 2 cans a night and had a heart attack 2 years ago,
i feel like what happened to him might have been the thing that started my HA x

uru
09-01-16, 23:48
Hi all

It's been in the news this week about alcohol and how apparently there is no 'safe' amount to drink.

I was doing much better with my HA but all this stuff in the news has triggered me.

I drink too much anyway. I have gained over a stone in weight over the last year and I am certain it is down to the booze.

Anyway the guidelines are scaring me cause my Mom had breast cancer and that is one of the cancers they are saying is related to alcohol consumption.

I feel at a really low ebb tonight. I feel disgusted with myself for gaining all this weight. I had a bottle of wine last night and about 4 whiskeys and I didn't even have a hangover this morning which concerns me. All day I have been telling myself 'no more' yet I have just poured myself a huge port and lemon:doh:

How much does everyone else drink? Do you find the stuff in the news is triggering?

I know I am stupid for drinking so much. I am on Sertraline too and the advice is not to drink too much on that.

Aaaarrrggghhh.

Can anyone help?

xx

http://velvetgloveironfist.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/the-chief-medical-officer-is-misleading.html

Fishmanpa
10-01-16, 00:09
http://velvetgloveironfist.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/the-chief-medical-officer-is-misleading.html

It's a "blog"... public opinion. Everyone is entitled. Free speech and all. That being said, 5 days a week, drinking more than a few certainly exceeds even the old guidelines.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
10-01-16, 05:28
Does anyone outside of this forum actually follow the previous guidelines though? When they came out I can't say I noticed any change to local society. I suspect the only people who care are really already dealing with chronic illness that precludes it anyway, health conscious gym bunnies (many of who knock back all manner of other substances that doctors don't like which are common place in the training world), and people with HA who struggle with the issue.

Oh, and that Sert warning posted above... It is debatable anyway since side effects are NOT experienced outside of specific start up windows so unless someone can prove that, the warning could be equally only appropriate when starting or adjusting. I'm yet to see someone on here prove that either way. Certainly all those people on the Sert plus alcohol thread seem ok.

The thing about Moderate interaction warnings is that they are often managed or ignored. Type in any NSAID and you get a clotting warning of the same level. Now ask a doctor why they are willing to use them. Better still, research the issue in the professional sections and see that it's about individuals with existing clotting disorders. Just like how Long QT Syndrome is not combined with meds that raise the risk, like SSRI's, the same applies in clotting.

So, interactions are for people trained to understand them. That's no one on here! Speak to your GP if you are concerned about that.

---------- Post added at 05:28 ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 ----------

We all know our government works in a certain way. Things are changed as it turns out that facts are twisted to meet policy need.

Besides, the obesity rate from all the crap in the food, including healthy foods with added crap we are finding that make them even worse, will just lead to the same. So, you can limit the beer but if you are still overweight, what exactly are you saving?

Balance in all things and a healthy lifestyle. Besides, all the work stress is doing just as much damage but they will never deal with that, it's our culture, just like drinking. I seriously doubt most people follow the previous guidelines anyway. It was on the radio when I was in Tesco to which several of the blokes working there just laughed it off. That's the working mans attitude to me and it was the same with the previous guideline.

Anyway, don't the government want us to live shorter lives as they are always moaning about the strain caused by the elderly increasing? :roflmao:

snowflake293
11-01-16, 21:01
Thanks for all the replies.

I didn't drink yesterday and I am not drinking tonight and I actually feel much better (although snapping a bit at my poor other half!) I guess booze is a crutch for me, but it is doing me no good and I need to dramatically cut down.

Trying to do more 'postive' things with my evenings, reading, those colouring books for grown-ups, the gym etc... determined to get through all this.

Been feeling really down about my weight gain, I think its a combination of how much I have been boozing and also I find SSRIs make me ravenous! Honestly, I have to be so careful. My fella is on Citalopram too and has gained 2 stone so we're both trying to support each other in being healtier. He isn't a boozer thank god so is very supportive with the whole cutting back thing.

Thanks again for all the replies, it is really good being able to come here for advice!

Traceypo
11-01-16, 21:07
Good luck hun, you've made some really good progress.
Xxx