PDA

View Full Version : Constant thoughts

sadie
22-09-04, 19:40
Hi all,

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who could maybe offer some advice for my problem!

I have suffered with anxiety and panic attacks for over 3 years now and things have improved over this time period. I dont get constant PA anymore but do feel like I have this constant anxious feeling like something awful is going to happen all the time, I know you all will understand what I am talking about.

What seems to be the biggest issue for me is the constant worry that I am going to take a heart attack. I can honestly say since I had my 1st PA, there is not a day that has not passed that this thought hasn't crossed my mind at some point.

I would consider myself to be quite an intelligent person and I know when I think about this thought properly, it does seem quite unlikely that this will actually happen as I have not been diagnosed with any heart problems, high blood pressure, no-one in my family has died young of a heart attack etc but yet I still think it and worry about it everyday. I just feel it is dominating and ruining my quality of life.

Has anyone felt like me but managed to overcome these constant nagging thoughts? I would really like to know if there is anyhting I could do to stop them. I know there is no 'quick fix' to anxiety but maybe there is something I could do to help.

Any help or thoughts on this would be appreciated.

sadie

seh1980
22-09-04, 19:49
hi there Sadie,

There are two things that I have heard of that might help you out. The first one is by writing on a piece of paper "I am not going to have a heart attack" about 50 times a day. Every time you write it, say it out loud as well. The second thing I have heard of doing is giving yourself 30 minutes each day that my therpaist calls your "Worrying time". During these 30 minutes, you allow yourself to worry about everything you need to. After this, your mind is meant to be clear of all worries for the rest of the day.
Hope this helps!!

Sarah :D

sadie
22-09-04, 20:09
Sarah,

Thanks for the quick reply. Sometimes I find I can self talk myself round to some positive thinking and other days it proves too difficult or impossible. I think the 30 mins of worry time would be a good idea so I will give it a go and I will try the writing thing too and see how that goes too.

Thanks for the tips. I hope your feeling good.

sadie

seh1980
22-09-04, 21:26
hi again Sadie,

Let me know how you get on!! Good luck.

Sarah :D

tt
23-09-04, 12:43
Hi Sadie,
I too had lived in fear for about 20 years. It started as a kid.
I have finally over come this because of words of a Dr.
You spend all this time and energy and stop enjoying life worrying
about something that may never happen. We don't worry about inner
body parts we don't relate pain to or silent things that can cause problems. If you do not feel like a brick is on your chest and you are out of breath( the breath is tough, because we give ours away to panic)
but your body would tell you. It is tough, but let me tell you after you change your way of thinking you will find that you will not have as many chest pains. When you do your mind thinks more as muscle or gas -you will actually acknowledge it and keep going!
Time is our healer and so is the way we think.
We are the drivers and control our minds. Unfortunatey it takes most of our energy worrying. I was told as well we are great at holding on to things - like this - if we reversed and pushed back as well, we would win the battle.

Good luck, your not alone.
TT.

Laurie28
23-09-04, 16:52
Hiya Sadie,

I'm sorry your having these thoughts but happy that you are so much better.

All I can suggest is thinking of alternatives ie a positive statement for every negative one

Lucky

Caz Fab Pants
24-09-04, 11:35
Sadie,

Firstly, everyone worries about something so try not to give yourself a hard time even though you know its not a completely rational thought.

The chances of you actually having a heart attack are VERY remote and thats something you need to remind yourself. When the negative thoughts are bothering you try to talk to yourself in a very matter of fact way ie my heart is only beating fast because my body has produced extra adrenalin, this is perfectly normal and will pass.

Maybe you could try focusing on a different part of your body when your heart is racing, like your feet, perhaps wiggle your toes in your shoes and sing a song in your head. It may sound silly but it might be just enough to distract your mind from worrying.

Caroline :)
x

sadie
24-09-04, 16:06
Hi Lucky,TT and Caroline,

Thanks for the good advice. I think I will need some actual therapy to help me with this fear or phobia as I just dont know if I can actually do it on my own. I will keep trying with the distraction techniques though.

Hope your all well.

sadie

april tones
26-09-04, 19:44
hi sadie, so sorry i havent been on here in ages, couldnt get used to new way of the forum and been so busy. So sorry to hear your having these problems, when i first come on here last year i was paranoid of every thing, every little pain, its gone now, only get it occasionly, it does go! honnest! im having unwanted thoughts still, every thing else has gone apart from them so your not on your own, love april xx

apriltones

sarah
26-09-04, 20:31
Hiya Sadie

Glad to see you back feeling a lot better. These unwanted thoughts really are one of the lingering kicks in the teeth that you dont need arent they?
Have you tried hypnotherapy at all? (sorry too many people on here to remember hon:(). I had 5 sessions earlier in the year and have been on a steady uphill climb ever since. It might be worth a thought!

love Sarah
xx

sadie
02-10-04, 13:51
Sarah,

I was considering hypnotherapy but just a bit scared of not being in contol. Can you tell me a bit more about it?

sadie

nomorepanic
02-10-04, 16:28
Sadie

You are completely in control when you have hypnotherapy, it is not like it is portrayed on TV - that is stage hypnosis.

Read this page on my website - it also says how I got on with it - www.nomorepanic.co.uk/hypnotherapy.htm

It is very relaxing and I used to love going once a week.

Nicola

sal
02-10-04, 16:59
Hi Sadie

I think it will do you the world of good to try it out. Nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Love Sal xxxxx

Rennie1989
02-10-04, 17:32
sadie

i now exacly what ur on about. everyday before i go to school i constantly worry whats going to happen like ''have i got my phone and keys'' and ''have i done ALL my homework'' and ''does all of my pens work'' lastly ''do i smell'' (please dont laugh, i do actually worry about that!)

the best way to get rid of these is to block them by thinking of the positive outcome like when i worry about whether if iv done my homework ill think, no i have done it all, i remember doing it etc. its made me alot better doing this

Scooter Girl

if i was hungry would you feed me, if i fell you help me up, if i was crying would you brush away my tears

jill
02-10-04, 21:26
Hi Sadie,

You have come so far and achevied so much:D your and insparation to us all. with help and support you can overcome this to. It's not easy changing the way we think, but with alot of hard work and time anything is possible.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL:D

sal
02-10-04, 23:24
Hi Sadie

Hope you give it a try and it all works out well for you. Here if you want to talk about it. I do understand how those thoughts can take over as so many times i have let them.

Love Sal xxxxx