PDA

View Full Version : Fibromyalgia

katyfitz
10-01-16, 14:13
Has or does anyone here suffer fibromyalgia? I would be interested to know if anyone does?

For the past few days I've woken up and felt muscle pain on awakening. Back of neck, shoulders, jaw, arms and wondering if this could be what it is???

Thanks

debs71
10-01-16, 15:19
Hi,

Yes, I do. I have had it for at least 10 years (looking back now), but I was only formally diagnosed 2 weeks ago. I am still waiting for blood test results to rule out anything else though.

The pain I get is beyond weird. I first have very, very hypersensitive skin which is painful to the touch, which occurs on any part of my body. I get it literally anywhere, very randomly, like my forearm, over my breast, across my shoulders and back....anywhere and everywhere. The pain migrates around my body, and apparently this is typical of Fibromyalgia.

Wherever the hypersensitive pain is (if I touch the surface of the skin it hurts like hell...even the slightest touch) I also get a deep muscular-type pain....like an ache.

I would have a word with your GP about your pain. It could well be just general aching, but it could also be Fibro, it is hard to tell really.

Hope you feel better soon. xx:hugs:

almamatters
10-01-16, 15:32
I have fibromyalgia and was diagnosed about 2 years ago, it took a lot of tests and finally diagnoses by a rheumatologist. The pain is deep muscle pain which can occur just about anywhere ,but in me it is mainly shoulders, hands, chest and ribs. Aches and pains especially when you wake up can be caused by a lot of different things even something like sleeping position. See what your doctor thinks. :)

MyNameIsTerry
10-01-16, 23:38
A couple of days could be many things. Muscular tension is one of the big symptoms with anxiety and so its poor sleep. I don't think you could base fibro on such a short time frame with such a symptom that overlaps into many problems, physical or mental.

debs71
11-01-16, 09:08
Having read my post again, so sorry. Didn't mean it to sound like you defo could have Fibro, katyfitz, just meant that nothing can ruled in or out until you see your GP, should your pains continue. As Terry said, it could well be linked to anxiety. I had frequent pains for many years but put them down to depression and anxiety, which in the most part I think a lot pf it was, but the 'weird' pain was something...well... WEIRD, lol. xx:hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
11-01-16, 09:16
Isn't that how it tends to go with fibro or CFS/ME, Debs & Alma? They take forever to be diagnosed just because things are assumed to be anxiety/depression and it's the patterns that reveal it or the ruling out?

I have had the same thoughts over the years but with not having HA, and I've seen Katy posting on that board hence I think that's why the worry is there, but I've always looked at my issues and thought a) are they ongoing to temporary and b) do they sounds as debilitating as these other disorders. I've walked away from them although CFS may eb on my radar again with the last 12 months of fatigue issues, but I tend to be the opposite of HA "find a lump, who cares".

Shazamataz
11-01-16, 09:26
I agree with terry and would thing it is tension-related?

debs71
11-01-16, 10:58
Isn't that how it tends to go with fibro or CFS/ME, Debs & Alma? They take forever to be diagnosed just because things are assumed to be anxiety/depression and it's the patterns that reveal it or the ruling out?

I have had the same thoughts over the years but with not having HA, and I've seen Katy posting on that board hence I think that's why the worry is there, but I've always looked at my issues and thought a) are they ongoing to temporary and b) do they sounds as debilitating as these other disorders. I've walked away from them although CFS may eb on my radar again with the last 12 months of fatigue issues, but I tend to be the opposite of HA "find a lump, who cares".

Yes, definitely Terry.

My pains started when I was still nursing, and I just put it down to stress and tiredness, and didn't want to make a big deal out of not much at the doctors. I only finally went recently as my pain was intensifying and lasting for days on end, instead of the normal few hours of a day at the most.

I am also not a HA sufferer, but I do fret over a symptom if it lasts for days and days and I cannot resolve it myself. I then ponder on all the things it could be, as I think I saw far too much as a nurse, lol (knowledge is DEFINITELY not always power!) .....but I am able to rationalise symptoms as 'only being x or y' the majority of the time.

It is a tough call though. Maybe sometimes we do get too nonchalant about things being 'just anxiety' ourselves. xx