PDA

View Full Version : Hi & How do I tell people

Joe90
10-01-16, 18:16
Hi everyone.

After almost 30 years suffering I am finally getting help.

Just before Xmas I finally diagnosed with GAD and last Wednesday admitted to my local psych ward to fast track the medication. Four days later and I am already feeling the effects in a good way.

But I have an issue. Apart from wife nobody knows where I am and why! So what do I tell friends and family. I feel my options are: -

1. Make up some plausible excuse
2. Tell people face to face one by one (this would be exhausting!)
3. Make a statement on Facebook!

Ultimately I do want to tell everyone as I want to help promote removing the stigma round mental health but I just am not sure how to go about it.

Any advice?

PS. Times like this makes me glad of the NHS!

venusbluejeans
10-01-16, 18:24
Hiya Joe90 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

dedalus
10-01-16, 19:25
Hello there,

Well, personally, I would only really tell people if they asked. And do so face to face when an appropriate opportunity presented itself.

I don't know if I would post something on social media because you can't be sure of what reaction you might get. Perhaps somebody would reply with something that was unhelpful. Also, a lack of any responses or likes might unsettle you and be counter-productive.

That's how I would approach it anyway. However, I am one who is afraid of the stigma that is attached to mental health so I generally don't broadcast the fact that I have issues.

Anyway, that's how I would approach it myself. I hope that helps in some way.

Joe90
10-01-16, 19:32
Thank you so much for your feedback. I never considered that I may get negative feedback on social media. That just shows my ignorance!

dedalus
10-01-16, 19:33
You are very welcome. I am pretty sure that you are not ignorant though :)