PDA

View Full Version : Going to gp, what do i say???

debbsi
24-02-07, 11:10
Hi
Well I've finally decided I will go to the GP and tell him about my anxiety and hope to be referred for some sort of therapy, (dont want meds). However when I get in his surgery I dont know what to say, where to start, etc.:confused: Now I getting worked up about that, what if he doesnt take me seriously. What did you guys say when you visited your gp?

Jimbo
24-02-07, 11:28
When I first plucked up the courage to go to my GP for the first time I felt exactly the same. Most of the GP's I've seen made things a lot easier than I thought and it was nowhere near as bad as I expected.

On the second apointment I wrote lots of notes down about how I was feeling so I didn't forget to say anything. That helped a lot, as I'm usually a mess by the time I get to my GP after sitting in the waiting room and getting worked up about it before I go. You could give that a try and take the notes along with you.

One of my irrational fears is that people won't understand how I'm feeling as it's hard to describe sometimes and I usually look 'normal' on the outside, but so far this hasn't happened. :)

You'll be fine, best of luck,

Jim

debbsi
24-02-07, 11:30
Thanks jim, yes I look Ok on the outside and a previous visit to the docs with palpitations I told him I thought it was anxiety and he said I didnt appear overly anxious! I'm good at putting on a brave face and hiding it, I dont want to appear weak!

jo61
24-02-07, 14:16
He won't see you as weak Debs, just someone who's ill just like most of his other patients. Don't be afraid to tell him exactly what's going on and he'll take it from there.

Slothette
24-02-07, 15:09
Hi there

Write it all down in the form of a letter and give it to your GP. Write down all your sypmtoms and how long you've been feeling like this. Also write that you're very good at putting on a brave face but that's not how you feel inside. Give this letter to your doctor and explain that because you're so anxious you had to write it all down. Don't worry about giving the doctor a letter as they get letters like this all the time.

Hope this helps a bit,

Lexxie

Krakers
24-02-07, 15:32
Hi Debsi - theres no need to be afraid of your GP. They're there to help you, and they will be able to help. I believe the statistics are around 20% of GP visits are for anxiety and related symptoms - just think for every 5 people in the waiting room one will be seeing the GP for something similar.

I had a problem getting everything out when I went to see my GP - I wrote notes and went through them one by one with my GP. My first GP didn't really understand what I was going through, like the one you have visited. Just ask to see another GP if you're part of a practice.

The second GP I wrote a letter to just like Lexxie said. But he was so understanding and knew exactly where I was coming from I didn't even need to use it and we talked at length. We decided on a course of action which is working like a dream.

I wouldn't dismiss meds altogether either. I'm currently on the waiting list for CBT and my current meds are helping while I move up the list for the CBT I requested. I'm not on any long term meds and they have made a huge difference to my anxiety.

Also in my borough you can self refer - so even if you don't come away with the referal you want, phone your local primary care trust, find out whose responsible for their CBT / assessments and refer yourself.

I hope all goes well for you.

Krakers.

debbsi
24-02-07, 15:38
Thanks for all the help everyone:)
My GP has listened at length to my mum who is also an anxiety sufferer but I mainly went for my palpitations and its only the last couple of months and especially after finding this site that i realised that it is anxiety i have.

Krakers
What meds are you on? I really dont want anything that interferes with driving (its part of my job) or with having an alcholic drink (i do have a social life which i am desperately trying to keep :p ). The doc gave me Propanalol but I didnt want to take it after reading the side effects. I decided that i wouldnt let the worries take over my life and I think I'm doing pretty well, but after having a panic attack a couple of weeks ago, maybe I do need a little extra help.

Meg
24-02-07, 15:58
Debie

Read up about the National Institute for Clinical Excellence NICE guidelines for anxiety and panic which we have links to under 'therapy' on your left.

Familiarize yourself with the options that should be made available to you.

Think about what you want from the meeting with the doctor and go in armed with questions and suggestions. Doctors mostly respond better to people who are informed and willing to take responsibility for helping themselves as they are likely to comply better with treatment plans.

Don't leave until you have negotiated and are happy with the plan you've agreed to

Krakers
24-02-07, 16:22
Hi Debsi - my doctor gave me Chlordiazepoxide - its a member of the benzodiazepine class of meds. He told me I was OK to drink on these but only because I am trying to reduce my alcohol intake as it has become a primary problem in controlling my anxiety. They are also prescribed for alcohol withdrawal. I am an exception rather than the rule - you shouldn't drink on meds, plain and simple.

I could tell you all the horrible things alcohol does to your body (I got a 2 page factsheet from the docs infact). Surely its worth giving up for a little while until you get your anxiety under control ?

Others may tell you how drinking on meds is ok, drink in moderation, just have a few glasses / pints etc. Its this thinking that led me from moderation to excess and into a dependency on alcohol as I self medicated to keep the anxiety away. I'd like to say I was the exception here again, but theres a lot of people out there using alcohol to self medicate, and its a destructive path.

You can still have a social life without drinking - I've been out every night for the last 3 nights and haven't felt alienated by not having my usual 10 pints.

Propranolol is a beta blocker - one of its primary actions is to slow down the heart rate and prevent rapid heart beats as a response to too much adrenalin. It should certainly help with your palps. It can however make you dizzy or light headed, so not the best combo when driving.

If you're due any holiday, you might consider taking it for a week and see how it makes you feel. Don't forget everything listed in the potential side effects of meds is to cover the pharmaceutical companies ass - it doesn't mean that you'll get them all just by taking the med. I only ever read the "contraindications" section of the leaflets I get with my med now (to make sure I'm not mixing with anything potentially dangerours) as I'd be too scared to take anything if I read all the side effects.

Krakers.

debbsi
24-02-07, 16:30
Krakers and Meg thanks for the advice, Meg I have read the nice guidlines and it would seem that CBT is the primary treatment for panic and anxiety disorders, which was what I wanted to hear. So I think I will push for that and avoid the meds. Krakers - I appreciate that you had a problem with alcohol but I really dont. I have the odd glass of wine once or twice a week which I enjoy (not for its self medicating effect). I work in a hospital and many of my patients have alcohol addicition and so I see what it can do to you. But dont worry like I said I really only have the odd glass.

Krakers
24-02-07, 16:50
Hi Debbsi - sorry I seemed to go all around the houses to get to the point I was trying to make. Easily done for me, I can turn a one liner into an epic (here I go again !).

The message I was trying to convey was don't drink on meds.

Krakers.

debbsi
24-02-07, 16:51
No worries Krakers, your advice is much appreciated (as is everybodies)

trace
25-02-07, 18:16
I have been struggling on a personal level since i started secondary school (i'm now 23). I've been to see my doctor lots of times, trying to get help but not being able to explain/admit to how big my problems were.

After hiting a rough point, i went for a free life coaching session, which led me to buy some books and realise i have social phobia. I fear mostly work situations - meetings, certain people who I feel are better than me, because i'm scared of looking stupid. I stit at work with a tshirt on in winter, and still sweat buckets because I can't relax. Even at home I cannot relaxing, thinking about what could go wrong tomorrow, my heart racing.

Do you think it is now worth approaching my doctor, now that I know what the problem is? I have see her many times about panic attacks, nervousness etc, but never about anything definite. I feel like i'm always at the doctors and they won't take me seriously, but I think only now I understand what my 'problem' is! I didn't know that they were now recognising these problems, is there cbt on the nhs?

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Tracey

Jimbo
25-02-07, 18:36
Don't be afraid of going to your GP, it's their job to help people. I know it can feel like admitting there is a problem, but they are there to help. It can't hurt to at least have a chat and see what they think. They won't make you do anything you don't want to do and it's better to go see someone who knows what they are talking about rather than worrying in silence about it.

If you don't feel comfortable with your current doc, ask to see another one till you find a good one. In my experience most GP's are great tho, they see people everyday suffering with our sort of problems and like Krakers said earlier in this thread, you'd be surprised how many people in the waiting room are probably going through exactly the the same thing.

trace
26-02-07, 19:12
Hi Jimbo

Nice to hear other peoples advice and opinions. I am happy with my current doc, I just worry that she will underestimate what i'm going through.

I guess the best thing to do is try!

Trace

Jimbo
04-03-07, 11:02
Hey guys,

Did you manage to go and talk to your docs, how did it go?

Hope it went ok. :hugs:

Jim

debbsi
04-03-07, 13:15
Hey jimbo

I went on Thursday, I asked to see the doc who is nice and understanding, I felt I could talk to him better. He was really suprised that I felt like I did, he thought i always came across as strong and confident! Anyway he asked what was my current worry and I told him I have IBS and was worried about it. He explained the condition really well, so I felt a little better about that. I told him that I had reached a stage where I thought I needed some help, and that I didnt want meds, he said that was fine and they have a mental health graduate who works from the surgery doing counselling and cbt. So hes refered me to her and said shell probably phone me next week.
I feel so much better now I've been and done it, just wait to hear from her now. :D

trace
04-03-07, 19:46
Well done for going to the docs and telling them exactly how you feel. It can be hard sometimes in that situation, putting across how you really feel and getting what you want/need out of the appointment. I find that I can't get my words out and forget what I wanted to say. I am aiming to go to the docs next week to ask for support. It's good to hear how you got on, and I hope you let us know what happens next. I hope you get the support you need.

Trace

Jimbo
04-03-07, 21:23
Well done Debssi, good work. It's never as bad as you think. :yesyes: Hope all goes well for you. I bet you feel much better already, it was a massive wieght off my shoulders and a big relief for me when I did it. :)

I'm the same as you Trace with getting my words out, sometimes it's even hard to put into words how I'm feeling. I'm sure you'll be fine, maybe try doing the making notes thing I suggested, even if you don't take them with you it does help by preparing you for what you're going to say.

I've seen my GP so many times now it's much easier as she now knows me really well now. :blush:

Jim

Caribou
04-03-07, 23:05
Well done for going to the docs and telling them exactly how you feel. It can be hard sometimes in that situation, putting across how you really feel and getting what you want/need out of the appointment. I find that I can't get my words out and forget what I wanted to say. I am aiming to go to the docs next week to ask for support. It's good to hear how you got on, and I hope you let us know what happens next. I hope you get the support you need.

Trace

Hi Trace, I recently decided I'd suffererd anxiety long enough (7years) without asking for help and took the two steps of joining this forum and confessing all to my GP. I can't begin to explain how much weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I was really nervous about telling her but she was very understanding and talked through all the options with me and put me in total control of making the decision of what action I could take next. We decided that I would see the counsellor at the practice and I was given some diazepam that I should only take when the anxiety is severe or I can't sleep.

In terms of CBT it depends on what is available in your area on the NHS. In some PCTs they have CPNs who practice in Primary Care who can practice forms of CBT. To see a Psychologist on the NHS you must be referred by a psychiatrist. I'm reluctant to go the psychiatry route myself at this stage, private CBT is extremely expensive though.

Good luck telling your GP, I'm sure you'll feel much better in getting it off your chest and knowing that help is at hand.