PDA

View Full Version : Right arm ache sign of heart problems?

Anxietysufferer92
11-01-16, 00:44
My dad is 66 and he has never been to the doctors or hospital, never needed antibiotics, never had blood tests, etc. Throughout his whole life, he has smoked tobacco and cigarettes and his diet is appalling.. Disgusting, in fact! He never eats fruit or vegetables, he eats fried stuff all the time: eggs, chips, bacon, sausages, pork pies, biscuits, cheese etc. We have tried to introduce vegetables but he will have NONE of it! He said he hates it and he is lazy. He stays in bed until gone 3 in the afternoon so he is ever active. I was thinking of buying him a dog just so he can get out and walk it but he isn't allowed pets in his rented flat.

For the past two months, he said he has been getting dull ache in his right arm that sometimes hurts his shoulder, bicep and elbow. He constantly puts heat pad on it and takes painkillers. Because of his smoking, his diet and his age... I am so worried that this is very sinister. I have told him but he said it is a pulled muscle? I said does his back, jaw or chest hurt and he said no, just his right arm!

I am scared for my dad but he won't listen :( what do you think it could be if I am wrong?

Fishmanpa
11-01-16, 12:43
Certainly, based on his age and habits, it would be wise to go to a doctor and have an overall exam and cardiac workup. Unfortunately, he sounds pretty set in his ways and not inclined to change. As a 2X heart attack survivor, it would seem to me that something would have happened by now. Arm pain is typically secondary to chest pain in most cases. That being said, a check up is prudent.

Positive thoughts

p282
17-02-16, 00:31
Most people will get tight or like someone is standing on your chest feeling and pain that radiates from your chest to your arm. It might feel like pins and needles or heartburn. Heart attacks are a bitch. I would strongly advise that he see a cardiologist. They can do a EKG and just check for any abnormalities. For two months though, I would not worry. I am telling you to have him checked just for reassurance. They can check for troponin and things like that. The problem with heart attacks is they are so freaking hard to detect by yourself because your heart rate may increase or decrease. Some people get palpitations before a heart attack. If he notices anything different about his heart rhythm, go to the doc asap. However, I want to stress to stay calm. I've had weird things with my heart and tested positive for troponin only to find out it was not a blockage. I know how scary it is though.