PDA

View Full Version : Help needed- medication or not?

Cbear83
11-01-16, 08:06
Morning all,

My concerns about abestos are really taking over now. We have discovered on our cottage and it has been disturbed during renovations.
My husband, family and two lung doctors are not concerned as I am In low risk group and is not My occupation - continual high exposure.

My help needed is how do you believe these people. Are my Worries irrational. How do people get past with their worries.....like the worst is always going to happen.

How do you move on from a particular worry?

I am going to see my gp and wondered if anyone had had success with medication? Although my anxious side thinks this is something that should not be covered over as I am going to be ill from this in the future. I really do not want to leave my little girl for a few renovations we have done in our cottage one time :(

Sorry for the ramble - not sure how to get over this as trying myself is not working.....

MyNameIsTerry
11-01-16, 08:15
I think this is a positive move, talking to your GP about your anxiety. Meds, therapy or even both could help you work on this. I think therapy is always needed anyway bnecause it's not just about panic/anxiety, you need to understand your Automatic Negative Thoughts (NAT), how to spot them and what to do to prevent them spiralling out of control.

It's obvious from your posts that you are spiralling. I've been there over my own worries and you just can't accept it. It takes a load of time and a load of effort.

Meds are not a cure but they can help, if you find the right ones. They can help by reducing your anxiety thus giving you back a bit of control, and this reduction in the onslaught you are most likely currently feeling, and such respite can help you look at your worries in a calmer, more rational way that right now just isn't possible.

Cbear83
11-01-16, 08:54
Thank you,
Will there be a time when I will not worry about this? I do not want to spend the rest of my life worry about every cough could be cancer from this or given my self a death sentence of 20 years from this exposure:(

matrix123
11-01-16, 09:29
In my case meds helped, although I'm currently going through a bad phase because I'm starting them again (was meds free for about 6 months)

MyNameIsTerry
11-01-16, 09:31
Yes, it's certainly possible.

About 3 years ago I could barely move off the settee as my symptoms were so bad.

I have conquered virtually all of my OCD compulsions and beaten my intrusive thoughts. 3 years ago I was wandering the streets performing my endless compulsions wishing something would just end my life.

I thought it was over for me. I still have anxiety in my GAD & OCD to deal with but I can handle it now, despite the unpleasant times. Back then I couldn't stop a single compulsion and felt like I had no control of my mind & body. It completely controlled me from waking to falling asleep and every day was a living hell.

I bet you can understand what I mean when I say "living hell"? I'm far from he only one, far from it, and there are many people far ahead of me but where I am now, despite the blips & problems, is nothing like what I was 3 years ago.

If you regained some of the control over your thoughts, you would see that things are possible. I couldn't back then but once I got to a better recovery position, I looked back and knew how wrong I was about there being no hope of recovery.