PDA

View Full Version : Testicle "Issues" and Health Anxiety

Aleman200
11-01-16, 13:02
Hi everyone.

I've been lurking on here for a while reading some of the fantastic articles written up here so i figured i would finally get around to posting my story, and see if anyone can offer any advice.

Last thursday i noticed a small red lump on the very side of my testicles, right up against my inner thigh. So i thought "oh it's just a dirt spot" and tried to pop it. Some clear fluid came out and it went down. I went to sleep and woke up on the friday only to find it was still there.

I immediately began to feel incredibly anxious, my hear started beating really fast and i started shaking because i was under the impression "oh god it's cancer" or something similar. So being the responsible 24 year old man i am, i rang up my local doctors and made an appointment with my GP, which of course they could only fit me in on Tuesday (tomorrow).

Since then, i've been panicking almost non-stop during the days, i've fiddled around down there trying to find something. Anything. To confirm that there's something wrong. Since Friday i've felt a discomfort, not a pain or anything, just an odd sort of feeling from down there. I'm not entirely sure if it's just my brain playing tricks on me or if it's genuinely swollen or something. I have no clue what i'm feeling for honestly.

Fast track to last night. I had an incredible struggle to even get to sleep because my body would not relax. My poor girlfriend has been doing her best to reassure me everything will be okay at the Doctors tomorrow. But my brain continously goes through the motions of "what if i i have to live with it" "What if i can't have kids" "What if it's incurable". And the cycle repeats itself until it drives me mad. I broke down crying on saturday infront of her, which i haven't done for the whole 3 years we've been together. To top it off i haven't had "morning wood" for the past 2/3 mornings. I'm not even sure if it's normal, could it be down to my anxiety and panic attacks before i sleep? I am constantly waking up during the night too.

It's becoming tiresome not being able to focus on anything just knowing that it's at the back of my mind and i can feel the panic creep up inside me whenever i feel anything slightly off down in my testicles. I'm honestly hoping it's nothing serious when i go to my GP. But at the same time i hope she finds something to alleviate my concern if you know what i mean?

Sorry to ramble on and kudos to anyone who has read this far, any advice, or success stories of people who have been in this kind of situation before would be appreciated.

Aleman200
12-01-16, 21:42
Just thought i'd post an update. I went to my GP today, she had a good feel around, said it was nothing cancerous or the such like, but did notice some swelling around the area of what she said was a hair follicle infection from where i had shaved. I got prescribed some anti-biotics and was sent on my way.

Is this normal? Or should i be worried? I'm terrified of the anti-biotics not working and somehow missing out on something more sinister down there.

Fishmanpa
12-01-16, 22:52
Totally completely normal!

Positive thoughts

Aleman200
13-01-16, 00:52
Thanks for the reply.

It's only the first day of anti-biotics, and i'm already scared it won't ever go away or get better. Christ.

Aleman200
14-01-16, 22:00
Promised myself i'd keep this updated.

It's the third day of being on anti-biotics. I'm not even sure if it's made a difference, i still feel this weird tightness around my left testicle and an ache from my inner thigh. It seems to go in the morning but reappear during the day and in the evening! I've read around (I used Dr.Google and i've been trying so hard not too aswell) and i'm thinking it might even be some sort of muscular problem? I booked another appointment with my GP for the day after my anti-biotics end, so hopefully something will get done.

It's driving me insane. I'm constantly worried it might be something else.

uru
14-01-16, 23:00
If it was anything serious the dr would've told you.

unfitwellhappy
14-01-16, 23:04
all kinds of normal mate - I had an ingrown hair which became infected on my baws once and it totally ruined me for weeks :)

Aleman200
14-01-16, 23:51
Thanks for the reassurance guys. Just want it out of the way honestly!

Aleman200
26-01-16, 11:01
Coming back to update this again!

So after the week of anti-biotics had passed and worn off everything was fine. No swelling or pain or uncomfortable feeling. So hopefully it's sorted for good now! Still gave me quite the scared and panic attacks let me tell you.

Fast forward a bit to last friday and a bloody bat/bird (Couldn't see in the dark) flew into my arm, and i thought it scratched me and i had Tetanus! Went to A&E to get it looked at, got sent home with nothing more than a smile. Which over the course of the past weekend wreaked havoc on my Health Anxiety, i was convinced i was going to die. My poor girlfriend was very supportive about it and reassured me an awful lot. Went to the doctors yesterday. Found out i was immune anyway! What a load of old tosh this anxiety turns out to be.

The one thing i have noticed though is since the entire testicular scare and the tetanus scare. I've not woken up with an erection in the morning at all. And i remember reading somewhere that Anxiety can really affect you down there. I mentioned this to my GP and she said it could be attributed to large amounts of stress. So I was just wondering if anyone else had any advice or similar stories about not having one during anxiety filled periods of your life?

MyNameIsTerry
27-01-16, 05:50
You can't expect to wake with an erection every day. So, I think you are noticing things too much, things that aren't there...the classic hallmark of the Cognitive Distortions demonstrated by the HA sufferer. But yes, anxiety/depression can cause such things and also during sex e.g. lack of erection, inability to maintain one, low or non existent libido, problems climaxing, etc. That's nothing to worry about.

The tetanus issue is a good indicator of an anxiety overreaction for me. It's incredibly unlikely and even more unlikely to be a bat since our bats eat fruit/insects and have excellent navigation skills. If you go in the bat houses in zoos they just fly around you and it's in their best interests not to fly into a large heavy object and hurt themselves.

Issues with bats are incredibly rare in the UK.

Like the GP said, just an unfortunate infection. These things happen, thankfully not too often though with shaving any area of the body. Infections bring pain with them and the pain may feel further away due to how the nerves are spread around so you get referred pain. The antibiotics took it all away which is the best proof it was just an infection as that wouldn't work for cancer.

I suggest talking to your GP about therapy to work through these issues and reduce your reactions. Also, work on reducing stress in your life overall as it really does make anxiety disorder worse even if not directly connected to the events themselves e.g. my OCD spikes in times of general or non specific (to my OCD) stress. So, relaxation exercises, visualisation, Mindfulness, etc can all help.

Aleman200
05-02-16, 16:11
First off i just want to thank all of you who replied. And i thought i'd come back to keep this little diary going.

Since my last post i have been back to a Dr about some thigh muscle problems i've been having which i suspect is due to the sudden change in activity, i've gone from sitting at my computer all day to walking 3/4 times a day up and down the country lane where i live. He said he'd put money on i'd pulled my Sartorius muscle (Not sure if that's how it's spelled) anyway. He told me to stretch it off and things have gotten better since then. Albeit it still feels very tight around my upper thighs.

I went back to my actual GP for a blood test to measure my testosterone as i had a word about the lack of morning erections and my anxiety. The result should come in a weeks time so i'm going to go back and see what the problem is. She recommended checking for other things while they have my blood too which is fine!

She also put me onto a physiotherapist about my leg muscles as it's likely i had illitobal band syndrome? Or something along those lines. Alongside bad posture and back issues that i need to work through. So that's next week too. Past that i may be recommended onto Therapy for my Anxiety and reactions. So hopefully the good news will roll in soon.

The only issue i've been having since all this began is that over the past couple of days my right testicle seems to ache every so often. And when i stand up it seems to go a bit further back in the sack than my left one. I had a bit of a read on Google and somethings suggested it might be a Crematis muscle or something. Although it could just be my right ball is a bit more proactive!

Anyways i shall keep everyone posted and hopefully my little story can help reassure anyone else who is going through a similar situation as myself.

Aleman200
24-02-16, 21:03
Got my Ultrasound booked for the beginning of march. The little area down there seems perfectly fine now!

Hopefully US will come out clear. Thanks for the reassurance guys!

mnaha
25-02-16, 04:11
Aleman200,

Been noticing some uncomfortable feelings in my right testicle. I don't wear underwear and I lie around on the couch a lot. I lay on my left side and maybe the testicle is stretching that way and causing that I am not sure.

It seems that it kind of is more present in my testicle in the evenings and not so much during the day . Its kind of an achy feeling and nothing like a bad pain or anything. Also it is not swollen that I can tell and no redness or anything so I don't think it is anything bad.

I have looked at all the things it could be but nothing matches exactly and the possibility for me to have those things are probably slim to none so I am just wondering if it is just from the lack of underwear support or laying on my left side when its my right testicle stretching or ?

Also I wonder if this is just something older guys get? Not really a pain exactly but a mild ache? I haven't been to the doctor for about six months but probably have to go soon again. I just hate asking a doctor about these things but I also hate worrying to.

Anyone here know what could cause this achy feeling in just one testicle ?

Aleman200
28-02-16, 21:18
Hello mnaha! Sorry for the late reply. I'd definitely say try wearing some relatively supportive boxers. I've taken to using some tight ones to hold the family jewels in place!

It's always worth going and getting the doctor to have a look. It'll put your mind at rest at least. It doesn't sound like anything malicious to me, but i'm not a doctor! I got aches and twinges down there alot and was convinced i had cancer or torsion! It's silly i know!

MattH81
29-02-16, 09:51
Is an ultrasound 100% I had one came clear but since the lump and got bigger

Aleman200
29-02-16, 10:21
I would say it's pretty accurate at a guess, but then i'm not a radiographer. :P If they said it's clear then there's no reason to be concerned. If you're still worried about the lump you have go back to your GP and explain the situation, they should be able to help. On the positive side, if they haven't said it's cancer then that's something right? :)

MattH81
29-02-16, 17:32
Yes but it's got bigger and painful. Dr says it's the tail of my epididimous but feels wrong. I feel unwell. .stomach ache nausea and shortness of breath

Aleman200
29-02-16, 19:58
Could be epdidymitis or orchitis. I think it's an infection of your nuts basically. Go back to your Dr and tell him what you're worried about, you never know it might all just be anxiety!