PDA

View Full Version : Menorrhagia (Heavy Periods)

Cricklewoodchick81
11-01-16, 13:55
Hi all, I'm new to this site as of today! I discovered it after looking for some tips to help me combat my travel & motion anxiety (which only appeared when my Post-Natal depression did years ago!) :weep:

Anyway, I stumbled across this forum and decided to ask if anyone else out there suffers like I do with something else, which is: constant bleeding, passing clots and basically being on your period all the time!? I've seen GP's and Gynae Consultants and tried short-term remedies that have been unsuccessful in addressing the problem such as Tranexamic Acid tablets (used to treat acute haemorrhaging), going back on the pill and having a coil fitted (nope & nope!). :lac:

The last consultant I saw said that basically I needed a hysterectomy but apparently I'm not eligible because I'm too young (I'm 35 next month) and I might want another baby! I've got two wonderful daughters who are 8 & 6 but I went through fertility treatment to conceive them (I also have PCOS!), suffered with persistent & severe vomiting whilst pregnant that lead to weight loss and dehydration (hyperemesis gravidarum) and then to top it all off I got severe Post-Natal Depression! So no, I'm pretty sure that my husband and I are NOT planning to have another baby! :wacko:

Anyway, the 'constant period' I experience has been going on for about 3 years now and I've pretty much accepted my fate although it's tough on my husband because we can't have sex anymore (the blood loss is just too much for even 3 towels underneath to handle - trust me!) and it just generally gets us both down sometimes. The heavy bleeding is even a factor in me getting out & about sometimes because of the flooding that can happen onto my clothes etc. so I can't stray too far from home or at any rate a convenient loo location! :blush:

I'm making light of the situation but in all seriousness I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out there going through the same thing and if so.......what are your coping techniques when you get those days where it all just seems to get 'on top' of you? :unsure:

Thanks so much for reading this far - I really appreciate it xxxxxxx :flowers:

Haylee.a
13-01-16, 22:00
My mum went through heavy periods where she would flood!!! She went to the doctor a few times for hysterectomy! She said it's taking over her whole life, floods, painful sex, etc etc they eventually agreed and she was only about 34 you need to lay it on thick and keep going back and complaining xx

WelshMama
15-02-16, 19:05
Have you had an ultrasound scan because I had one for menorrhagia and discovered I have fibroids. Doctors also told me that I might need a hysterectomy, but it is a woman's personal choice I ve decided to wait until menopause when the fibroids should start to shrink naturally. You mentioned tranexamic acid but there are other treatments too like NSAID's. Also if you are bleeding so much you need to get your haemoglobin checked regularly. There are other surgical treatment other than hysterectomy that will allow you to have children afterwards.

sandie
15-02-16, 19:26
Fibroids are the most common cause of Menorrhagia. Firstly it is important to remember that these are Benign and a good GP will ensure that regular scans monitor their growth. Yes it is true that after the menopause the fibroids shrink but at 35 years old do you want to wait possibly another 20 years for this to happen ?

There are other procedures that do not require a hysterectomy - including uterine ablation. Do not give up. Go back to your GP and insist that he refer you so that all the possible options are explored. You do not have to live with the pain and incredible discomfort and inconvenience fibroids can cause.

Catherine S
15-02-16, 19:40
How much blood we lose each month depends on how much lining your womb sheds, the thicker the lining the more you bleed and suffer the clots. I'm surprised you've been left to suffer like this constantly with hysterectomy being the only option. Has anybody suggested a procedure called endometrial ablation where the lining of the womb is destroyed? It grows back much thinner so periods are much lighter. It doesn't work for everybody but works for most and might be worth asking about, in fact i'm surprised it hasn't been suggested as an alternative as it's a common procedure.

ISB x