PDA

View Full Version : blood cancer?? really in need of support

white1989
11-01-16, 16:39
So I had some blood tests done on Thursday last week and got my results back today, I had a telephone consultation with the doctor. he told me that my thyroid and liver function was fine, but that I had a slightly lower than normal count of white blood cells. he asked me if I'd been run down or had a virus recently, I told him that I've been feeling slightly ill with a sore throat/cold symptoms for the last week, but no temperature or anything. he said that could be the reason and that I need to have my blood tests repeated in a weeks time to check it again. I've recently been experiencing really severe night sweats where I'm waking up absolutely dripping wet, and I'm also chronically exhausted (I'm always tired so not sure if this can be judged as a symptom). I decided to ask that the doctor that even though it seemed extreme I've been feeling worried about blood cancer and whether this low cell count could point towards cancer, and he said that I shouldn't really worry because in people will leukaemia there is usually a very high blood count. so I felt reassured and came off the phone. I KNOW I really shouldn't have but I couldn't stop myself from googling low white blood cell count reasons. To my surprise, loads of medical sites said that people with leukaemia have a really low white blood cell count, and some others say they have a really high count. I was looking at all genuine heath websites (WebMD etc) and now I'm full of absolute sheer dread that I'm in the early stages of leukaemia. I've been feeling really rough recently, having bad headaches, tummy ache, back ache, sore throat, terrible hot sweats and extreme exhaustion. I've now got to wait a week until I have another blood test and another half week until the results. I literally can't cope with this worry and do not know where to turn right now I just want to cry and hide away. any advise would be much appreciated (I know I shouldn't have googled but can't change it now) xx

dizzy daisy
11-01-16, 17:06
If it's any help the doctor would have referred to for more tests immediately in cases where anything serious is suspected. I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry.
I have all the same symptoms as you including fatigue and I was terrified waiting for my results. They came back ok so I guess it's all just the anxiety making me feel so run down.
It's hard not to worry, I know I'm exactly the same, but think about it, would a doctor who even slightly suspected any sort of serious illness be willing to wait it out or would they want to treat you right away?
Xxxx

Fishmanpa
11-01-16, 17:07
Like your doctor said and you affirmed. You had a bit of a bug and that's the likely cause. Having it re-checked in a few weeks is standard procedure and your doctor is being a good doctor. It's a huge leap to go to cancer and I think you know that deep down. It's just your dragon breathing some fire down your neck. Stop consulting Dr. Google and trust the doctor made of flesh and blood that actually does it for a living.

Positive thoughts

white1989
11-01-16, 17:17
thank you for your replies guys, I'm just fraut with worry and don't know how to calm down. I literally can't control my hands from typing into google and because I work in front of a computer at a desk for 9 hours a day, I quite literally can't stop myself as much as I try.

I'm just worried because I haven't had a virus or a bug as such, I've just felt generally ill and run down and so I'm worried that this is the onset of leukemia. I know it sounds over the top but when all my symptoms match those of leukemia and then I find out my white blood cells are low, I've literally convinced myself I'm dying of cancer. I've had strange lower back pain for a week as well so obviously I'm panicking that that's another symptom like failing organs or something. How can I escape this worry?? :(

my first thought when I think I could have a serious illness is how I will see my loved ones suffer, I really cannot bare the thought of my family and my boyfriend watching me go through this harrowing illness and eventually losing me. I know its a dramatic thought but hopefully you guys can understand!

pulisa
11-01-16, 17:24
Anxious people can often have a low white blood count according to my haematologist. With leukaemia it's often a case of being referred straight to hospital following a blood test.