PDA

View Full Version : advice if anyone not busy sudden adult death syndrome

tiredofthis14
11-01-16, 19:34
i was wondering if anyone knew anything about sudden adult death syndrome
iv had more ecgs in my life then i remember and currently having a 24 hr ecg but having to have this is bringing up my old fears do ecgs show abnormalities that cause sudden death mine have always came bk clear but i suffer chest pain and palps im 25 f am overweight tho just brought everything back scared to sleep

tiredofthis14
12-01-16, 06:57
anyone

Fishmanpa
12-01-16, 13:11
i was wondering if anyone knew anything about sudden adult death syndrome
iv had more ecgs in my life then i remember and currently having a 24 hr ecg but having to have this is bringing up my old fears do ecgs show abnormalities that cause sudden death mine have always came bk clear but i suffer chest pain and palps im 25 f am overweight tho just brought everything back scared to sleep

This is like several other fears that are so astronomically rare (especially at your age) that they're not worth thinking about (flesh eating amoebas and fatal insomnia to name a couple). You've had and again are having the best reassurance you can possibly get in medical professionals and scientific medical tests confirming you're at no risk. Chest pain is a very common anxiety symptom. What else could we say?

Positive thoughts

tiredofthis14
12-01-16, 14:07
thank you for your response id put this to bed when i had my last ecg but then my doctor requested for me to have a 24 hr ecg due to needing to change my medication
its brought back all my old fears and now im concerned that maybe it might show something up that the ecgs didnt i have 2 wait 2 weeks for results

debs71
12-01-16, 14:07
Hi,

As Fishmanpa mentioned, SADS is very, very rare. 1 in 5000 chance, so I have read.

Chest pain and palps can be directly related to anxiety, stress, etc. The palps are usually created by excess adrenaline surging through us. I get them often, and I know many others on the site do too. Chest pain too, as Fishmanpa said. Chest pain can be caused by body tension from stress and anxiety, and stuff like hyperventilation - even if you think you are not hyperventilating!

The things about a worry like this is, what can you possibly do if SADS did occur? It is one of those pointless fears and worries, as if it did happen, it just happens.

I have also had more than one ECG - as I recall, about three I think. I had them because of complaining of fluttering and palpitations and when my GP heard an irregular heartbeat through her stethoscope. Nothing was seen of my ECG, except a very fast heartbeat, which they put down to - yep.....anxiety.

SADS is very rare. Yes, we always see things in the media when it does happen, but those poor folk have just been incredibly unlucky.

Please try if you can not to focus on this worry. xx

tiredofthis14
13-01-16, 08:16
thank you for taking your time to reply
i do sit and think if it happend i couldnt do anything about it but when im at my worst it seems logical to think if i can prevent it i will im trying to rationalise i wasnt worried about my heart until i had the 24 hour ecg now im getting palpatations and everything so when you look at it logical its either a huge coincidience or aniexty!
its frustrating because it seems so simple to just accept it is aniexty but then you get what if what if what if

debs71
13-01-16, 09:48
No problem at all.....I know exactly what you mean about the 'What ifs?'

The 'what ifs?' are the things that totally do our heads in. I have been there many times myself, worrying about the things that might happen and getting myself in a right stew about it. It is a kind of anticipatory anxiety, but the thing is - and I can honestly vouch for this - the vast majority of the time, the things we worry might happen, NEVER happen.

It is just anxiety driving the fear and getting us in a right state.

I think the problem is - from what you say - perhaps having the 24hr holter monitor has created a fear that something is actually wrong with your heart, but these monitors are very, very common tests to have. My Dad had one years ago, as he was having palps too. They just told him to cut down on caffeine and watch his stress levels (my Dad is also an anxiety and panic sufferer)

Rest assured that it does sound like your doctor is doing the best for your here, by giving you the 24hr monitor. He/she is being VERY thorough in checking out your heart rhythm over a long period of time.

Try not to fret. I am sure things will be fine for you.xx:hugs:

tiredofthis14
13-01-16, 16:55
thank you again
i know everything your saying is spot on and i know everything iv been convinced is going to happen in the past didint happen
it just always feels like this time is it
then i feel like a melon when it doesnt happen
i know logically all these symptoms have only come back since i had 24 monitor before that i worried about something different which has since disapeared i just accept it aniexty then il get a new symtpom today i now having sort of sudden dizzy spells at random time it lasts for seconds then goes nighttime does seem to be my most anxious at the moment though

Fishmanpa
13-01-16, 18:07
You know it's anxiety and you also know deep down, it's not going to happen. It's the fear of the unknown that's what has you by the nads. You just happened to latch onto an ailment that is an example of it. Truth be told, this can happen to any of us at any time. Not SADS, but the end. A car accident, wrong place, wrong time kind of things. It is what it is and we have to learn to accept the things we can't control. "HOW" is the real question and still it comes down to seeking help with the traditional methods of therapy and/or meds. With some hard work and inner fortitude you can get back on track.

Positive thoughts

crazymum25
14-01-16, 01:30
I've just posted on here for the same reason I was doing really well been of the sites for months not been tii doctors for months my life is together but in the past week I've heard n read about two young mums both not waking up for there children too find them one death was caused by too much green drugs apparently I smoke it myself so I'm frightened I smoke it it makes me non crazy I'm the kinda crazy that will tell everyone we are going too die on a plane crazy although I've finished my therapy and my therapist insisted I'm good I'm just a control freak and you can't control the unknown right I'm petrified of death leaving my daughter too find me in 26 not young not old and this is the time death is so around me I've had a few sudden deaths in my family but mainly suicide and drinkers I don't drink but I smoke ... Its becoming a fear now major again truth is we anyone of us could just drop dead or not wake up .... Scary right I've had two hours sleep n ERM five days .... I'm walking around in a dream ...... Its so hard life im thankful I'm alive but I'm scared