PDA

View Full Version : Hi there

DavidKing
11-01-16, 20:01
Hi I'm David I suffer from really bad Anxiety. I have suffered since I was 13 on and off. I'm now 30 and up until August 2015 my attacks have been easy to cope with and didn't effect my day to day life. Fast forward to after August and my attacks have got so bad that I got help from my GP. Whats changed you ask? why have my attacks got worse? well I can't answer them questions because I don't know myself.

I'm a normal guy who's 6ft5 and being brought to my knees in a packed supermarket because of the attacks is not a good sight, I couldn't walk, all I could do was cry.

I have joined up here to share my experiences and to just chat.

So Hi to all.

venusbluejeans
11-01-16, 20:07
Hiya DavidKing and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

uru
11-01-16, 20:24
that sounds awful :(

Welcome!

Purplelavender
11-01-16, 20:41
Welcome David - and wow I feel for you. I am also new to this site. Hope you can find some support which is what I am looking for. Positive support.

Purple

DavidKing
11-01-16, 20:53
What I have learned is my biggest problem is that I fight the attacks really hard, I can't accept them. I have to concentrate on my breathing otherwise I have attacks. I have set some goals this year to learn to accept them.

A big thing for me is knowing that we are not alone

Pipkin
11-01-16, 21:15
Hi David and :welcome:

I think you've hit on an important point - fighting panic attacks just makes them worse. You're telling your mind that there's a problem and your body reacts by increasing the fight or flight response even more.

It's really hard to learn to accept them and relaxing during a panic attack is counterintuitive but it works. There are some good books available which might help, with Claire Weekes being the top of my list (Self Help for your Nerves). If you haven't read this, I'd really recommend it. It's a bit dated in style but the content is spot on.

Good luck

Pip

DavidKing
11-01-16, 21:24
Hi pip

Claire Weekes is excellent, so is talking about your issues.

Yes learning to accept and relax is hard when your minds going a hundred miles an hour. Little by little and set targets help loads.

uru
11-01-16, 21:52

Purplelavender
11-01-16, 23:43
Having a bot of anxiety out of the blue hate when that happens