PDA

View Full Version : Scared, change in bowel habits

skyblue1000
11-01-16, 23:45
Hi, this is the first time I've posted here!
I used to have a bowel movement every 2 days sometimes 3 then a few months ago I noticed I was mostly going everyday. Also a few months ago I was having bouts of diarrhea (once every couple of weeks for a few weeks). Doctor wasn't concerned but said my anxiety needed sorting. I was prescribed sertraline but never took it. Fast forward to now and I still go most days, I'm sure they're slightly softer (before I was probably on the constipated side but now I guess they would be classed as a healthy poo!!!). I've never had bleeding, pain or any other symptoms. I did have a bit of mucus after wiping but GP thought I had an internal pile and prescribed me ointment which I think helped. My anxiety is really bad and I have butterflies in my tummy a lot of the time for no apparent reason. I hate feeling like this but I've convinced myself I have something horribly bad.
I'm 34 and healthy (well apart from anxiety). I feel sick with worry :-( Sorry for the long post.

misslove
15-01-16, 13:55
I was thinking of posting something like this. I M normally constipated and have hard stools. Lately they have been softer and more "normal". It's scary to me becuase it's not normal for me. I have recently changed from regular milk to lactose free milk so idk if that could have caused the BM change. It's hard to not go to dark places. :/

debs71
15-01-16, 14:04
Hi skyblue1000,

I am sorry you haven't received a reply until today.x

Have you been diagnosed with IBS, hun? If so, this kind of change in bowel habits is very typical of IBS. I have IBS and sometimes I am totally constipated, bloated and haven't had a poo for days on end, and other times I get a kind of 'light' type of diarrhea - crampy tummy, soft poos and I am on and off the loo all day!

The nature of IBS is that you can be neither one thing or the other- constipated/diarrhea - or you can be only ever C or D.

It is no coincidence that you are also feeling very anxious, and anxiety plays a big part in bowel changes and IBS in particular. The mucus you have been having is also typical with IBS.

I know bowel changes like this can be a bit scary, but given that you haven't had anything like bleeding or pain (which is good actually, as IBS cramps are also typical) I would hasten a guess that this is just IBS doing its thing. xxx:hugs:

uru
15-01-16, 14:52
My anxiety is really bad and I have butterflies in my tummy a lot of the time for no apparent reason. I hate feeling like this but I've convinced myself I have something horribly bad.

Symptoms of anxiety disorders (https://www.bupa.co.uk/health-information/Directory/A/anxiety-disorders#) Anxiety disorders can cause both mental (psychological) and physical symptoms.

a racing heartbeat (palpitations)
tension in your muscles, which may be painful
stomach cramps
feeling sick
diarrhoea
shortness of breath
dizziness or feeling faint

https://www.bupa.co.uk/health-information/Directory/A/anxiety-disorders

I was prescribed sertraline but never took it...

ColdFusi0n
24-09-16, 18:36
Hi, this is the first time I've posted here!
I used to have a bowel movement every 2 days sometimes 3 then a few months ago I noticed I was mostly going everyday. Also a few months ago I was having bouts of diarrhea (once every couple of weeks for a few weeks). Doctor wasn't concerned but said my anxiety needed sorting. I was prescribed sertraline but never took it. Fast forward to now and I still go most days, I'm sure they're slightly softer (before I was probably on the constipated side but now I guess they would be classed as a healthy poo!!!). I've never had bleeding, pain or any other symptoms. I did have a bit of mucus after wiping but GP thought I had an internal pile and prescribed me ointment which I think helped. My anxiety is really bad and I have butterflies in my tummy a lot of the time for no apparent reason. I hate feeling like this but I've convinced myself I have something horribly bad.
I'm 34 and healthy (well apart from anxiety). I feel sick with worry :-( Sorry for the long post.

Dont mean to hijack this old thread but i cant help it. Its so hilarious. TS is worried about having BM once a day instead of once every 2 or 3 days. I think its an absolute blessing to clear the bowel once daily. Its even normal to have 2-3 BM in a day. To me having one BM every 2-3 day is not normal at all, it shouldnt be but since TS said its normal for him then fine but i seriously dont understand why TS is worried about pooping dailg :doh::yahoo: