PDA

View Full Version : Mother seriously ill.

Dan Wales
12-01-16, 03:52
My mother has been in hospital with pneumonia since last Thursday. Today she took a turn for the worse. She's in intensive care in a coma. The doctors had to operate to save her life. We almost lost her. It's still touch and go but I am praying she will be ok. All my family, sisters, aunties and uncles were with us at the hospital. I had a panic attack and collapsed at the hospital. I have an amazing family with me, but I feel so alone, I can't cope I can't even cry any more I haven't got any tears left.

Shazamataz
12-01-16, 03:57
Oh what a stressful and horrible time! I lost my Dad just over a year ago and somehow managed to old it together. It's all just hit me in the past 3 months. You are lucky to have a supportive family. I think it's normal to not cry, sometimes you just can't. The tears will come when they are ready.

MyNameIsTerry
12-01-16, 04:54
I'm really sorry to hear this, Dan. You must be under an incredible amount of pressure right now and your head must be all over the place. :hugs:

She really will be getting the best possible care in a unit like that. My young cousin (when I was young) ended up in one in the local hospital, and then transferred to Birmingham Children's from there, and in both cases the standard of care he received was exceptional and he pulled through within months and all was well again and still is 20+ years on.

So, don't lose hope. She will get the best care.

Also, don't worry about the panic attack. They must see people in all sorts of emotional states, and I'm sure they are used to panic attacks, people breaking down in tears, people in shock and even denial. They won't think anything bad of you, if anything you would probably seem more normal than anywhere else having a panic attack as if there is one place for anyone to panic, it's a place like that!

Keep posting if it helps you mate. People will support you on here.

I hope your mum improves soon and makes a full recovery.

pulisa
12-01-16, 08:16
Your Mum will be receiving a huge cocktail of IV antibiotics round the clock to treat her pneumonia. You are there for her. Keep talking to her, hold her hand and don't lose hope. She will be able to hear you despite being in a coma. However many panic attacks you have, no one will judge you and it doesn't matter. It's a normal response to sheer terror.

Please keep posting if it helps? The most important thing is that you are with her when she most needs you. Forget about the panic attacks.

debs71
12-01-16, 11:10
Dan, I am very sorry to hear about your Mum.....it is no wonder at all that you had a panic attack. This is a horrendously stressful and emotional time for you, hun. I know what you mean about feeling so alone, despite the great family you have with you. You are your own person, with what must be a totally overwhelming fear and emotion going on right now. Please know that you are not alone, and we are all here if you need support.

There is not much I can add here that hasn't already been said by the previous, excellent members. Your Mum is very much in the right place. There are no better nurses and care (IMO) than there is in Intensive Care. They are totally on the ball when it comes to caring for very sick patients, and your Mum will be receiving every bit of help they can offer her and be monitored very carefully. As pulisa said, keep speaking to your Mum as she will be aware of your presence. Hang in there and don't give up. xxx:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Oosh
12-01-16, 12:05
Really sorry to hear about your mum Dan. I hope everything turns out ok.

white1989
12-01-16, 12:10
I'm so sorry to hear about this Dan, I cannot begin to imagine what you are going through right now.
I can't offer much advise but I can offer a great deal of empathy and support, I really hope things improve for your mum soon and sending you all the best wishes and luck for your mum's recovery, take care xx

Fishmanpa
12-01-16, 13:00
Sending Prayers and as always...

Positive thoughts

Dan Wales
12-01-16, 14:56
Thank you all for your words off support it means a lot. I am on my way to the hospital now.

pulisa
12-01-16, 16:20
Remember that it can take a while for a positive response to the antibiotics. Really hoping that your Mum picks up very soon. Keep on talking to her-it'll give her strength.

Pipkin
12-01-16, 17:15
:hugs:

Pip x

Carolin
12-01-16, 17:35
Dan, just wanted to say I am thinking of you.

I don't have any words to help , just a bit of support when you need it most xx

swgrl09
12-01-16, 18:54
Sending positive thoughts and hugs :hugs: I'm so sorry you are going through this.

Lucinda07
12-01-16, 19:18
Hang on in there. I have personally known a couple of cases where a frail patient with Pneumonia has pulled through, against the odds. :)

Pepperpot
12-01-16, 21:08
Hi Dan, I've said a prayer for your mam. I hope she is ok, and I'll be thinking of yous. X