PDA

View Full Version : Propanalol - advice from users please

sandie
12-01-16, 08:46
I was first prescribed Propanalol for anxiety around 10 years ago and they helped me through a very difficult time.

Last year for the first time I was prescribed ADs to get me through another difficult time which had prompted some serious anxiety. The ADs only seemed to make matters worse, but the GP said I couldn't have Propanalol because I am now diagnosed asthmatic. However, yesterday because my anxiety is increasing, my GP prescribed Prop at 40mg three times daily.

Within a very short while of my first tablet I calmed down and had a very good day (despite a tricky start to the day because I had not slept properly).

The tablets are the short release, ie, the effects wear off during the day. I only took two during the day which included my bedtime dose. I had a really bad night's sleep - lights out at 11pm, awoken by anxiety attack at 12.30. Awoken again just before 3 am with another anxiety attack and then again at just after 4 am.

Does anybody else find that a Prop before bedtime disturbs their sleep ? Is it likely that my disturbed night was because I didn't take 3 tablets during the day ? (I was a bit wary of taking a full dose during the day as I started them around 11 am, and wanted to make sure they didn't exacerbate my asthma).

These are the short release tablets, but if they sort my attacks during the day without causing problems for my asthma, then I think perhaps I shall ask for the 24 hour tablets which last longer in the hope that my sleep improves.

Would welcome any input from other Popanalol users.

Pipkin
12-01-16, 17:27
Sandie,

I take propranolol when I get severe physical anxiety symptoms. I either take them as and when I need them or, for a really bad spell, I take 40mg, 3 x daily.

They really help calm me down and don't affect my breathing although I also have asthma. The side effects I get are feeling cold and terrible disturbed sleep. This is more nightmares than waking up with anxiety but it could well be the same cause as you. To work around it, I time my last dose as early as I can before bed and then I set my alarm an hour before I get up to take the next one (8 hours after the last). This seems to do the trick.

Regarding ADs, it's normal to feel worse for the first few weeks and for some ADs (doc will advise), it's ok to take propranolol at the same time to relieve the start-up anxiety.

Hope that helps

Pip x

sandie
12-01-16, 18:51
Thanks for responding Pipkin - it is very helpful to have some input. I took my Propanalol around 10.30 last night in the hope that it would keep the nighttime panic attacks at bay - but it didn't.

I shall take it earlier tonight and hope that it doesn't disturb my sleep too much.

It's not nightmares which wake me, it is actually that awful body trembling, stomach churning and adrenaline surges which wake me, and then I struggle to get back to sleep.

sandie
13-01-16, 09:53
While I think that the propanalol is certainly helping, it's not doing as much as I would have hoped and the effect wears off quite quickly - they only last around 4 hours and they certainly don't help with my sleep.

I know it is still early days, but I would appreciate any advice around dosages and what works well for those of you who have been taking Propanalol.

hanshan
14-01-16, 13:06
Hi Sandie,

Beta-blockers like propranolol are associated with sleep disturbances like awakening and nightmares.

Oddly, evidence seems to be mounting that cardioselective beta-blockers (eg metoprolol, not propranolol) have little effect on asthma. I don't know of their effect on anxiety, however.

Catherine S
14-01-16, 13:28
Hi San die, I took propranolol for 8 years from August 2007 to June 2015, and took 80 mg slow release once a day for the first few years, then changed to the normal pills at 20 mg twice a day, so halving the dose, but could add another 20 mg if I felt I needed it. It was always a mixed bag for me with propranolol to be honest with side effects seemingly worse than the original anxiety, but I was reluctant to give them up because I get skipped heartbeats and beta blockers control this.

Last year, a different doctor changed me onto another beta blocker called Bisoprolol and I have to say I've felt so much better on them. The dose is only 10mg, but she said it was equivalent to 40 mg of propranolol. I'very noticed far fewer side effects and my energy levels seem to be improving too.

Propranolol was one of the first beta blockers to be created many years ago so it's one of the oldest. It certainly has its place in treating anxiety, but it's not for everyone. If the side effects continue to outweigh the positive effects for you, it might be worth having a chat with your doc about some of the others perhaps. Hope that helps a bit.

ISB x

karenp
15-01-16, 20:49
I never ever take it at night as I can't seep if not. I take Mirtazapine and a GP recommended anthistamine. Then the Prop on a morning xxx