PDA

View Full Version : any tips for treating health anxiety?

white1989
12-01-16, 15:02
I've suffered with health anxiety for as long as I can remember, stemming right back to my young childhood when I used to convince myself I could overhear my parents talking about how one of them had cancer (literally from the age of about 7). Other than therapy, I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advise on how you can help yourself deal with health anxiety? I'm currently suffering really badly with frightening thoughts about my health and I'm never out of the circuit of thinking I have a major health condition which is going to see me die before I get the chance to become a parent, get married etc. Everyone says just try not to worry but of course anyone that suffers with anxiety knows too well that that is near enough impossible; I was just wondering if anyone could share any thoughts on dealing with health anxiety and managing chronic destructive thoughts about having a terminal illness. E.g., how do I try to rationalise these thoughts and become 'less worried' about my health? How do I learn how to draw a line between just ignoring a small niggle because its probably nothing, but the 'what if' of it actually being very serious and that one time I've ignored it its going to be the thing that kills me?

thanks in advance xx

Wickers
12-01-16, 23:12
Hi,

I know you mentioned alternatives to therapy but read 'overcoming health anxiety' by David Veale and Rob Wilson.

I suffered many years with all those catastrophic thoughts and the usual stress related bodily symptoms. I read this book before being referred for CBT and the book had the same advice and exercises as I done on the NHS CBT.

When people say CBT doesn't work it is often because people give up too quickly. It took me about 3 months before it 'clicked'. I no longer spend 14 hours/day on google or have those constant nasty thoughts. I was diagnosed with cancer whilst waiting for CBT. Two years into my five year follow up and I worry far less now.

Remember to persevere. I had many time when I nearly gave up thinking it wasn't working. Finally, remember that health anxiety is an illness and not an insight into your future.

Good luck.

Fishmanpa
12-01-16, 23:18
The challenge is, many with severe anxiety lack the mental fortitude to really tackle their anxiety in a focused and effective manner. Of course, you could read books, do online CBT etc. but it comes back to the self discipline and focus to accomplish your goals. Many can barely go a full day without Googling or posting on the forum which just backs up what I'm saying.

My opinion is traditional methods, therapy and/or meds are still the most proven and effective methods of treating anxiety and other mental illnesses.

Positive thoughts

Wickers
14-01-16, 21:51
The challenge is, many with severe anxiety lack the mental fortitude to really tackle their anxiety in a focused and effective manner.

Yes. I should have added, the book will give you the techniques used in overcoming health anxiety but most people will still require professional help.

CBT treatment is the preferred method. Medication should only be used as a last resort. Anti depressant meds can be combined with CBT but have quite a few side effects. Meds for short term relief such as diazepam can help but when they wear off the anxiety almost becomes harder to deal with (personal experience).

CBT takes time. You also have relapses which you must work through, but in the end your life will be much a much more happy one.

Take care.

Fishmanpa
14-01-16, 23:06
I went to therapy for some depression and "scanxiety" and downloaded the free CBT course that used to be on here. My therapist was all for it. While some of the techniques didn't apply to me, quite a few did and I still find them useful in everyday stressful situations (work, relationships etc.). I'm a pretty logical person and CBT just made sense to me.

CBT does take time and also a concerted effort and practice. It's like working out for your mind. And using the same analogy, stop working out and you stand to lose the gains you've made.

Positive thoughts

white1989
16-01-16, 15:55
Thank you so much for your advise guys, it really means a lot. Fingers crossed I'll find a way out somehow, I need to try and be positive. Many thanks

Goosenufc
16-01-16, 18:38
Sorry to hear you're at a dead end with your anxiety.

I was 6 months ago until I was referred to a shrink who prescribed me with Lyrica (Pregabalin) and I can honestly say that they have changed my life. I had given up all hope and thought I was going to end up taking diazepam to calm me down.

6 months on Pregabalin later I'm back to the person I was pre HA (years & years ago).