PDA

View Full Version : Blood test advice

Traceypo
12-01-16, 18:17
My Doctor has finally agreed to give me a blood test. He said they'll do a full screening (he's certain everything I present with is anxiety).
What would be picked up in this kind of test. I really want to put this anxiety to rest and this test was requested by me to use as future evidence to refer to in future that these symptoms are just a result of anxiety.
Any advice appreciated as don't want to resort to Google.
Xxx

dizzy daisy
12-01-16, 18:28
Tracey a full set of bloods can mean anything really, but it will likely include FBC and organ function tests with possible iron, vits, thyroid etc. These tests are quite wide ranging and if anything major was happening would likely alert your GP. Although some of the tests are not specific for illness such as cancer for example, they would indicate and provide certain clues to your GP that something might be a miss and then further tests/ investigations would be ordered.
I'm sure these will all come back clear and give you the black and white evidence you need.
Xxxx

pulisa
12-01-16, 18:31
I would imagine he would do a full blood count (red and white cell count), liver function tests, kidney function tests, thyroid, ferritin (iron stores-a good indication for poss anaemia) maybe ESR (for inflammation anywhere in the body), possible blood calcium levels (for parathyroid levels which can be significant in anxiety/depression).

It really depends on whether he wants to go the whole hog in primary care. You may just have a full blood count which is basic but can reveal a lot about how the body and organs are functioning.

The ESR may be useful with your throat issues, Tracey. I had one for similar problems (it came out fine)

---------- Post added at 18:31 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

Oh and maybe the good old Vitamin D levels test plus Vit B12 and folate

Traceypo
12-01-16, 18:33
Thank you both, that's really informative. Of course I'm now in a bit of a panic about results but I've got to look at it as positive, they could come back all clear and I accept it's anxiety, or, there could be something underlying which at least I'll now know and be able to deal with.
I'm more scared of them calling me to come in to see Dr, then of the actual results.
Xx

pulisa
12-01-16, 20:50
It's always the waiting which is worst but FBCs come back within a couple of days so not too many hours to get throughxx