PDA

View Full Version : Dental Dilemma

Paul87
13-01-16, 20:58
I have a bit of a Dilemma after 12 years of not going to dentist and breaking off teeth myself at home to ease pain I now need 14 teeth out I been terrified since a kid to sit on dentist chair or even being numb even a x ray has been a horrible anxious feeling

Waiting for appointments has been horrible anxious wait counting time etc

But thankfully past 5 weeks I've had 4 teeth out of the 10 out 2 from top front and 2 from bottom front they been quite easy and still need another 4 top ones taken out which are rotten to the gum line

3 more are top Molars that just leaves 3 teeth that I ain't mentioned

I never thought I'll ever get my teeth fixed but now front ones are easy and I don't expect back top ones to bother me either

I usually sit in chair make jokes and mess about with my dentist and enjoy it I always been scared of being numb so having these teeth out has been a massive step

But there's 1 last phobia left and that is the nerve block 3 of the teeth needed out are 2 2nd molars each side so I'm going to have to have 2 nerve blocks at some point which is worrying me and upsetting

What makes matters worse is one of my first molars is a badly damaged tooth that has a abscess that is constantly swelling and decreasing for months I've had it drained the lot and there's a permanent hard mass there even when it's not swelling up

Dentist wants it out and has been doing these tiny steps with my other teeth to get me to the point that I get this tooth out its quite a bad state this tooth is in and could be serious if I don't get it out

I been to hospital with it twice before Christmas which lead me to get my teeth out and beat my phobia

Well I got this one last phobia left and this is a urgent extraction needed at the latest the 28th of this Month but after it's been extracted I can relax and take other teeth out as none are really a bother unlike this one

Is there any sort of way I can have this tooth out without numbing my tongue because this is what it all comes down to my last phobia is numb tongue and or throat

If there is a way to not get it numb I would get the tooth out also Antibiotics don't even really touch this tooth so even if swollen it has to be taken out there worried I be in pain and be put of going to the dentist as it be hard to numb me when swollen but my main concern is the numb tongue and of throat

Please tell me there's another way because in all honestly I don't think I'm quite ready to face that last phobia just yet

Traceypo
13-01-16, 21:10
I think you can be referred to hospital for a general anaesthetic if you feel more comfortable with that x

Paul87
13-01-16, 21:45
I think GA or Sedation would be lot more worse for me if I be honest

Traceypo
13-01-16, 22:01
Then I guess you've got to look at your options and decide which you could cope with the best. I was scared of ga (scared I wouldn't wake up) after a recent operation that fear vanished and I was pleased I did it.
Make a list of your options and the pros and cons of each, it might help to make an informed decision.
Sadly, there's no getting away from it, the work needs doing.
Good luck.
Xx

Paul87
14-01-16, 20:02
I been thinking about it today about my worries and why this is scary for me?

Im scared of a few things

1. I'm scared the Inferior Nerve Block will cause a numbing sensation I don't like and have a panic attack that won't go away

2. I'm scared that my throat will go numb

3. I'm scared the injection will make my ear go numb and become dizzy

4. I'm scared how I will react when my tongue is numb

5. I'm scared that I won't be able to swollow because my tongue will be numb

6. I'm scared that I will swollow my tongue or choke

7. I'm scared that I will choke of my own spit and won't be able to swollow

8. I'm scared that I will swallow harshly as I won't feel it on my tongue and cause me to choke or cough

9. I'm scared of how much my tongue will be numb

10. I'm scared because it's unknown to me and I never had this injection before

Traceypo
14-01-16, 20:19
Number 10 is the root of all your fears. Just remember, if this was so dangerous, it wouldn't be allowed and you certainly wouldn't be able to leave and go home straight after.
Have you spoke to your dentist about your fears, they may be able to offer you some reassurance. You certainly won't be the first.
The fear is generally worse than the experience!
Xxx

uru
14-01-16, 21:55
Can you tell your dentist about your anxiety and tell him/her these fears?

I'd bet you'd be reassured.

nivekc251
14-01-16, 22:41
Try to accept that this needs to be done and it will better your quality of life. Yes it's going to suck but it is just temporary , and the necessary steps to better yourself. I did this at some point myself. I was in my late 20s and had to get a couple of nerve blocks for some bad cavities ,and my wisdom teeth extracted. Yes it sucked my face was numb for hours but I did some breathing exercises whenever I felt panicky. Now my teeth are great and I only have to get cleanings done. You got this just accept what is going to happen (the numbness and the healing process) and get it over with.

flannel
14-01-16, 22:54
My previous dentist ALWAYS used a nerve block for everything. Even minor filings. So I understand where you're coming from because they are a little different than other numbing you'd get at the dentist. It's certainly not dangerous or even very painful though. For me it felt like a normal shot with a bit more pressure. Do you have anyone that can come with you to the appointment? It might help to have a good friend or family member there to reassure you and/or talk you out of a panic spiral.

Fishmanpa
14-01-16, 23:21
Most if not all dentists are rather experienced in dealing with dental fears and anxiety. Let's face it, do you know of anyone, anxiety or not, that enjoys going to the dentist? ;)

Letting him know your anxious will be helpful and they'll talk you through it. Having had my fair share of dental work, I can tell you that you're making a mountain out of a molehill. I know that's what anxiety does but you'll be fine and from what you posted, you really need to do this. If you've done the home dental work you say you have, then this will be a walk in the park in comparison.

Positive thoughts

Paul87
18-01-16, 03:51
I'm not sure why I'm still scared I can't even picture or imagine me getting it done I honestly don't understand it

I've got nothing to worry about only 1/4th my tongue be numb you can swallow etc but I'm still scared and don't want it done it makes no sense to me

I've had 4 teeth out and 2 hospital visits in 4 weeks those visits revolved around having abscess cut with scissors and scapel I've been though a lot and this is from a guy so anxious he wouldn't even sit in dentist chair for over 12 years

To do all that in 4 weeks is incredible but my last dental phobia and fear is this one I dunno what's stopping me :(

Paul87
20-01-16, 23:02
My anxiety has gotten worse which don't seem good for my dentist appointment

My sleep pattern is non existent I went to sleep 7am woke up midday went sleep 3pm till 7pm then fell sleep midnight till 5am

So today I've felt depressed lazy low morale leg aches the lot negative thoughts I tried stay awake all day to sort my pattern out but instead I fell sleep 4pm till 7pm

I just feel like crap for me to get this tooth out I need to be sleeping okay or I won't be able contain my thoughts or try and stop my anxiety

fishman65
23-03-16, 16:15
How did you get on in the end Paul? I've got a dentist appt coming up soon and when I pulled up outside to register with the practice I panicked. However I did still manage to go in and fill in the form etc. and make an appt. The crazy thing its not pain I'm afraid of (ok well a bit) but more the commitment to a contract? I've got to wait until 11th April.

Its weird because I went to the out of hours dentist at the weekend and had two temporary fillings. I was generally ok other than muscle tension.