PDA

View Full Version : Have some Ginger Ale!

Blinkyrocket
13-01-16, 21:17
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17511060/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21305447/

Ginger is one of those herbal remedies for nausea and vomiting. Maybe you could just have some ginger ale everyday? Course, this is just a preventative measure, in order to get over your fears you do (unfortunately) have to face them. At least ginger ale might be tasty, I've never had any.

MyNameIsTerry
14-01-16, 05:32
You can make probiotic ginger ale too, Blinky :winks:

Or you can just let your kefir ferment longer anyway and the alcohol content increases until it becomes an alcohol beveridge :yesyes:

Feel good over probiotics while having a few drinks sounds good to me!

MissyMischief
14-01-16, 20:49
I've been drinking chamomile tea in the mornings with lemon. It helps settle my anxious, churning stomach and is comforting.

Ginger ale is delicious. I can't believe you've never tried it, Blinky!

Blinkyrocket
14-01-16, 21:09
Well, I'm 19 so don't have the privilege of consuming alcoholic beverages yet :P
And I just had Canadian Dry ginger soda today but it just didn't taste enough ginger-y to me :/

MissyMischief
14-01-16, 21:29
Oh, you're talking alcoholic ginger beer, lol! I get it. For some silly reason, I thought you meant regular old ginger ale without alcohol, and I thought, what?? Who's never tried that? :roflmao:

Silly me.

Well, when you ARE old enough to drink, Caldera Brewing Co. makes a really great ginger beer. They're based out of Oregon.

Take care!

Oh yeah, have you tried any ginger drinks from the health store? Some of them are SUPER gingery. I can't remember the brand off hand, but one of them is in a green bottle and looks kind of like Heineken, but is non alcoholic. I have the same complaint as you....not enough ginger in most ginger drinks.

Update: It's Reed's Ginger Beer. Bundaberg brand is really gingery, too. Any natural foods store should carry at least Reed's.

Blinkyrocket
14-01-16, 23:14
In the original post I actually was talking about regular ginger ale lol! But Terry said that you can make probiotic ginger ale and kefir that you let ferment until it has an alcoholic content high enough to classify as an alcoholic beverage. I actually hadn't had any sort of ginger drink before today. But I've loved ginger snaps all my life so the Canadian Dry stuff just didn't seem strong enough.
I was reacting to a different misunderstanding involving Terry, lol. I actually connected the dots with kefir and carbohydrate fermentation quite awhile ago so don't worry, nobody here was giving a minor an opportunity to come into possession of alcohol, if that's illegal anyway -_- because I found out by the Internet.

MissyMischief
15-01-16, 00:54
Yeah, watch out for Terry. He's all about making mischief and corrupting the innocent youth on the forum :roflmao:.

But seriously, if you get a chance to try the Reed's nonalcoholic ginger ale, I think you'd really like it. I think there's a Jamaican one that's made with honey instead of refined sugar. SOOOOooo good and gingery.

Blinkyrocket
15-01-16, 18:39
O_O well that sounds amazing. I've always wanted to drink from a glass bottle :blush:

MissyMischief
15-01-16, 18:51
O_O well that sounds amazing. I've always wanted to drink from a glass bottle :blush:

Lol, Enjoy! :D

MyNameIsTerry
16-01-16, 06:07
I was reacting to a different misunderstanding involving Terry, lol. I actually connected the dots with kefir and carbohydrate fermentation quite awhile ago so don't worry, nobody here was giving a minor an opportunity to come into possession of alcohol, if that's illegal anyway -_- because I found out by the Internet.

You would be legal over here, one drawback of breaking off from us I guess :winks:

---------- Post added at 06:07 ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 ----------

Yeah, watch out for Terry. He's all about making mischief and corrupting the innocent youth on the forum :roflmao:.

:yesyes:

Every forum needs an Imp. :D

Blinkyrocket
16-01-16, 16:36
You would be legal over here, one drawback of breaking off from us I guess :winks:

---------- Post added at 06:07 ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 ----------

:yesyes:

Every forum needs an Imp. :D

Well, crap, it was either freedom or beer :whistles:

MissyMischief
16-01-16, 20:37
Well, crap, it was either freedom or beer :whistles:

So glad we've chosen freedom AND beer...the only drawback is we have to wait three more years to [legally] drink. Shmo Shmell. :D

MyNameIsTerry
17-01-16, 04:56
Beer is REAL!! (and sadly so are taxes) :winks:

3 years...if you observe the laws :winks: not many over here do :whistles:

Blinkyrocket
17-01-16, 23:05
Actually, I just did the math and it's 2 years for me. 1 & 1/2 if you wanna get real precise. Idk why it took me so long to catch that :wacko:

MyNameIsTerry
19-01-16, 04:25
Canada Dry is ok but I find it can be a bit gassy which defeats the object. My GF says it helps her when her stomach is upset but it's been variable for me.

People used to say sucking ginger sweets was helpful for car sickness.

Maybe the quantity of the ginger in the product is a factor?

I know you can buy a starter to make your own ginger ale. That might be worth a look, it's bound to be better than store bought stuff?

Blinkyrocket
19-01-16, 04:57
Yeah what first caught my attention was the use for motion sickness which a friend of mine got after playing a game called Portal, which apparently is famous for causing motion sickness.

I actually looked up that you can use kefir grains as the starter culture for ginger ale, not sure if it's a better idea than a starter that's designed for ginger ale though.

MyNameIsTerry
19-01-16, 05:08
I just looked at the site I got some advice from and making ginger ale from their plants takes longer as it needs 7 days to start it off, then 4 days to bottle it. Kefir is much quicker than this but I guess the drawback with kefir might be that it needs to be emptied and restarted more often with it's shorter brewing time?

I didn't know you could make it from kefir grains themselves. You could certainly just flavour it afterwards but I didn't know you could do it with the grains themselves.

blue moon
19-01-16, 06:36
My son tried to brew his own ginger beer,the bottles blew up sounded like bombs going off,never tried again.:D

MyNameIsTerry
19-01-16, 07:25
My son tried to brew his own ginger beer,the bottles blew up sounded like bombs going off,never tried again.:D

Oh dear, did he forget to "burp" the bottles? Good training for being a dad!

MissyMischief
20-01-16, 20:14
What about Kombucha or hard cider? I know Kombucha has a very slight alcohol content and is easy to make...and it always settles my tummy. I have never made hard cider, but have always wanted to try it.