PDA

View Full Version : Finally plucked up courage but disappointed....

Justanutter
14-01-16, 14:02
It's taken me months to pluck up the courage to go and see the GP as my HA has been through the roof with heart worries, mainly angina fears. I saw the emergency Dr the week before Christmas just because my anxiety was so bad I knew that if I didn't get something to help with it, I would ruin everyone's Christmas, so they gave me a few diazepam. So, made the proper appointment last week - daughter came with me, but came out with a prescription for ADs again. I felt like she completely overlooked my heart concerns and just concentrated on the HA - said that I'd had two normal ecgs when the 'pains/twinges' were happening so from what I told her she wasn't unduly concerned and wanted to see me again in 3 weeks after the tablets had kicked in to review matters. I told her that I got an ache in the middle of my chest when I walk sometimes but this seemed to go over her head. Now my anxiety is even worse because I feel like she's just overlooked something important but my daughter disagrees and gets frustrated with me and cross that I won't listen to the Dr. I now feel like I've got to go through the whole thing again in 3 weeks and have just wasted time when I could have been referred to the Cardiologist now to sort whatever it is I have got out. I should be able to walk without getting an ache, it's ridiculous - it's making me terrified that I will drop with a heart attack before they get to do something. Trust me, I don't want to go for tests but it's the only way I am going to know whether there is something wrong surely??!! My daughter upset me by saying that she thinks I want something to be wrong - oh for goodness sake, I wish she could spend a day in my shoes and she might be more empathetic. She doesn't 'get' anxiety at all. I am so frustrated with myself. Going back to private therapy tomorrow but it's not going to work if I honestly think I have angina is it. If men present with chest pains/aches, they supposedly are taken much more seriously than if a woman complains of it and yet our hearts are more complicated and less easy to treat. Sorry for rambling, just was so hard to summon the courage to go in the first place.:weep:

Traceypo
14-01-16, 15:19
I'm sorry you're disappointed. Why don't you trust the 2 eggs you had and your Doctor?
Where in UK are you, can you not self refer for further therapy?
I used to have major heart worries, it took me a long time to accept it's anxiety and I am still not comfortable with my heart beating faster, however after 1 ECG, I've accepted it's anxiety.
Xxx

Justanutter
14-01-16, 15:25
Because ecgs don't detect angina, only irregularities in the rhythm or electrical wiring and not arterial blockages. I just don't think I reiterated enough that I had some sort of daily chest pain/discomfort and because I wasn't sat there like a normal person just saying I had come with chest pains, she just focused on the anxiety like they always do.

Also, I've had the obligatory 12 weeks CBT that was offered and can't go back for 6 months after, not that I found it any use to be honest. Too short.

Traceypo
14-01-16, 15:57
It's a shame you didn't find it useful, I was lucky that towards the end of my CBT we were leaving huge gaps between appointments so I could evidence change in that time.
If you really do feel that you have an issue with your heart, I would book in again prior to your three week review to talk about those concerns. Be assertive with your Dr, let them know that whilst you accept you have anxiety, you're also very concerned about these feelings you are having in your chest.
You're appointment in 3 weeks will be to review your medication and possibly won't leave much time for you to discuss your concerns.
I've had Cbt on NHS three times but there has been huge gaps between sessions, my second set was a 4 week refresher.
It may still be worth a call to your IAPT team and see if there are any other talking therapies on offer.
Xxx

AdamE
14-01-16, 16:15
That's what I did. When I had super high blood pressure and my heart felt like it was pounding out of my chest I told my doctor I want to go to a Cardiologist. She told me it was anxiety. I told her that I really needed to know for sure. I told her she's probably right but my brain won't let it go. I needed ease of mind. It turned out she was right. My heart is super healthy and working great. My blood pressure was crazy because of my anxiety and I also have a family history of high blood pressure. So I'm on blood pressure meds for that reason.

Definitely let your doctor know you need this done if it will help ease your mind. Thank care :)

Justanutter
14-01-16, 16:49
I need to Adam. I am just more terrified that I will subject myself to unnecessary dangerous tests by seeing a Cardiologist in the quest for either reassurance or there will be something wrong and I won't cope.